Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,358,001 times

Advertisements

In the past few years we have had two teachers in our building get married. Currently we have two who are engaged to be married this summer.

One plus to have spouses work for the same district is that healthcare costs for the family is lower. For family coverage, it costs one employee $361 a month. But, with husband and wife both working for the same district the employee cost for family coverage is reduced to $144 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,809,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In the past few years we have had two teachers in our building get married. Currently we have two who are engaged to be married this summer.

One plus to have spouses work for the same district is that healthcare costs for the family is lower. For family coverage, it costs one employee $361 a month. But, with husband and wife both working for the same district the employee cost for family coverage is reduced to $144 a month.
Looking at the teachers who are not married to other teachers, what type of people are they married to?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,809,017 times
One thing I've noticed in the online dating site I'm on is you find a lot of female teachers. I would say they would have the highest % in terms of the type of jobs that they have.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,726,156 times
My husband's a teacher and I'm also, like the poster described a page or so back, a financial fraud investigator, although Im not currently working. It seems a lot of spouses on this thread, if they're not teachers, are involved in accounting in some capacity.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
There are nearly 30 teachers/administrators in my school and 9 of them are married to other teachers and there are two sets of married teachers in the school.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,964,771 times
I don't think this is unique to teaching. I'm in IT consulting, and a large portion of my office is married/in a relationship with other IT people (at our company or at competitors or just in the same industry). It's nice to have a spouse who understands what you're going through. Plus, when you're working ridiculously long days, the people you have time to socialize with are your coworkers. There have been several office romances.

That said, I'm in a masters program to switch into teaching, and none of us (there are 25 in the program) are married to teachers. We'll all be coming into it with spouses already in other professions.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM

830 posts, read 2,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I know this might sound like a dumb question but I've asked myself. I know that teaching doesn't end when the bells ring for school to be over (anyone who believes this was not paying attention in class ). As a future teacher/educator I have 3 questions for teachers here:

1) What is the likelihood of teachers to marry other teachers?
2) Is it generally harder for teachers to "date" than other professions or does it not make a difference?
3) Teachers who are married, what is your spouse's occupation (if you don't mind sharing )
4) How has teaching affected your dating scene (if still single) or married life? Has it taken a toll on it adversely or positively?

I know that it depends on diff. individuals. One of our family friends is a high school Spanish teacher & she married a doctor, also another of our family friends is a teacher & so is her husband.

Thanks for the responses
1. I don't have any teachers who are married to other teachers at my site. One is married to a custodian at the school though. Several teachers are married to people in the two other "big" employers in town (one is Forest Service) but that probably has just as much to do with the fact that there are limited employers in town as it is about any particular attraction between these careers and teaching.

2. I found it a little tricky, but not so much just because I'm a teacher, more because I'm a teacher in a very small town. I wasn't going to date someone who lives in town - there are very few and likely would already have kids who go to the school where I teach - yuck. Even with my out-of-town SO, I always have to be a little "careful", as a professional in a town where I can't go outside without seeing someone associated with school in some way.

3. I'm not married. SO is in the insurance business. He tells me about his wacko clients. I tell him about wacko events of the school day.

4. I think it's been neutral, other than the things mentioned above which have more to do with the nature of my small town.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,358,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Even with my out-of-town SO, I always have to be a little "careful", as a professional in a town where I can't go outside without seeing someone associated with school in some way.
I am curious as to what you have to be a little "careful" about. Why do you not want to see someone associated with the school?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM

For example, I wouldn't want a student or a parent to see SO pinching the teacher's butt out in public. A neighbor, all of whom know I'm the town kindergarten teacher, overhearing something fun going on in my house. Etc.

It's a running joke between us - our tiny little newspaper with the headline: "Little-town" teacher caught doing ______!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM

Here's another example:

Once, when I was dating this guy, we were out on my front lawn watching bats. The superintendant, who lives near me, drove down my street. The next time I was at work, the principal excitedly wanted to know who the guy was that the superintendant had told her he'd seen me with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching