Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times

Advertisements

CA teachers, I HAVE TO ADMIT ARE THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE USA NOW. CA Teachers are maxing out in my district at $91,000 (some districts with their budget cuts have even higher max out scales), and when you factor in the cost of living in CA, we make 17% higher than the national average. I think the average CA teacher salary is $64,000. SO I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT MY SALARY WHAT SO EVER. What is the average teacher salary in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 AM

242 posts, read 788,711 times
My bestfriend is a teacher and she lives paycheck to paycheck. Dont you have to be a teacher for a LONG time to get that type of salary? She started at at $40,000 I think she has been teacher for a couple of years. I know when I was doing research for an essay I was writing I was looking at the different school districts salary chart to even get to $50,000 a year you had to be a teacher for like 10 yrs! I have heard many of my classmates say that they would love to be teachers but they couldnt afford the low salary.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 AM

41 posts, read 171,961 times
I don't know. Where did you go to find that information?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Go to Google and type in AVERAGE TEACHER SALARY BY STATE.
Average Teacher Salary by State
AFT - Teacher Salary - Teacher Salaries - Teachers Salary - Teachers Pay - Teacher Pay
Teacher Salaries by State

The third one is the most interesting. It gives average salary and number of teachers per state. Lets a lot of tax payer dollars going to teacher salaries. This doesn't include the employer contribution to payroll taxes, health insurance, pension, life insurance and any other benefits.
We need to thank our neighbors and all taxpayers for supporting us with their support of the taxation that pays us.

I know as a retiree I am thankful of their continuing financial support as we receive our pensions. Teaching is one profession where the public keeps paying us after we have stopped working and for that we are thankful.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
cool its where i'm moving and thinking about it

Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
Somewhat misleading. In New York State a teacher in NYC can be making the same as one in a sparsely populated rural upstate area. The big difference is that one is paying $500,000 or more for the same house the other is paying $150,000 or less for.

When taxes become out of balance for the income of a particular area they then end up driving out business and becoming a burden to those left jobless and trying to survive, not to mention in turn most young people will have to leave the area to work. Comparisons (and taxes) need to make sense for their locale.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
cool its where i'm moving and thinking about it
You're thinking of CA? If so, I'd rethink that.... you won't be able to find a job, with all the layoffs that are about to happen.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
I am always amazed that people look only at nominal salaries, when what matters for lifestyle and the building of financial wealth is real wages, i.e. what one can actually purchase for one's wages.

Although we need better and more complete data than is available from the link, housing prices divided by beginning salary offers an insight to how to compare salaries and non-housing income across states.

The numbers are old and very non-representative, but the following types of calculation are more useful for judging how cool teacher salaries really are...

California: .071, i.e. the beginning salary buys 7.1% of the average home.

Wyoming: .277
Idaho: .258
South Dakota: .250
Georgia:.231

Texas: .189
Washington: .180
Florida: .162
Massachusetts: .153
Virginia: .145
Oregon: .141

Arizona: .113
New York: .104
Washington, DC: .092
Hawaii: .081
California: .071

Now...averages can be deceiving, but on average (which is what these numbers are), California teacher salaries are abysmal. let's hope that you are in a district where housing prices are low, other consumer prices are low, taxes are low (that may be a stretch), top end salary ceilings are closer to $150K, utilities are low and the quality of life is high. And...let's hope you have outside opportunities to add 20%+ to your teacher salaries a year or that your spouse is making the big $$.

However, bottom line, you need to make real wage comparisons. Ignore them at your peril.

S.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I am always amazed that people look only at nominal salaries, when what matters for lifestyle and the building of financial wealth is real wages, i.e. what one can actually purchase for one's wages.

Although we need better and more complete data than is available from the link, housing prices divided by beginning salary offers an insight to how to compare salaries and non-housing income across states.

The numbers are old and very non-representative, but the following types of calculation are more useful for judging how cool teacher salaries really are...

California: .071, i.e. the beginning salary buys 7.1% of the average home.

Wyoming: .277
Idaho: .258
South Dakota: .250
Georgia:.231

Texas: .189
Washington: .180
Florida: .162
Massachusetts: .153
Virginia: .145
Oregon: .141

Arizona: .113
New York: .104
Washington, DC: .092
Hawaii: .081
California: .071

Now...averages can be deceiving, but on average (which is what these numbers are), California teacher salaries are abysmal. let's hope that you are in a district where housing prices are low, other consumer prices are low, taxes are low (that may be a stretch), top end salary ceilings are closer to $150K, utilities are low and the quality of life is high. And...let's hope you have outside opportunities to add 20%+ to your teacher salaries a year or that your spouse is making the big $$.

However, bottom line, you need to make real wage comparisons. Ignore them at your peril.

S.
Real wages while working are one thing. Pension based on wages earned in California can afford a great lifestyle when relocated to a low cost state. That offers a great retirement and for many teachers retirement may be longer than their working years.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Tuborg,
a tricky one, perhaps better suited for the upper middle class and above, who are willing to "suffer" though 20-30 years of menial pay for the chance of a civil servant's free ride. Although when you have a couple both working as teachers, I can see that being more digestable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching