Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 AM

943 posts, read 3,162,206 times

Advertisements

I work as a Human Resources Manager and recruiter during the day.

I recently started teaching management classes in a college of business administration in the evenings. I got so tired of students who expected to cruise through class by just showing up and sitting there staring into space and not participating in the class. I decided to start using the "Socratic method" in class.

Here is some information on the Socratic method for your information:

Socratic method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically I tell the students on the first day that to pass the class they need to show up for 90% of the classes and participate in class. I tell them that they will be called upon to speak up in front of class at a moments notice. If I call on the student and it appears that they did not read the material assigned before class and were not paying attention, I would take note of this and it would be indicated in their grade.

Some of the students like the fact that I am tough and that they are attending a class where everyone is expected to attend and participate. They like that the class is not all lecture and that there is plenty of class activities, discussion and question and answer.

Other students hate the class and tell me I am not being fair expecting them to attend the majority of classes, be ready to speak up in class when called upon, and grade on things other than a test.

What is your opinion of using the Socratic method and the resulting required class participation?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 05-28-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
You told us before that you worked in Human Resources.

Now you're teaching an evening class in management during the summer. You are a troll.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Assuming this is a legit question...

I think your kids will learn more and be more engaged.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
I use this at the high school level, and have always found it to be very effective as it engages and involves every student, not just those who are prepared and therefore raising their hands.
The only criticism I can see anyone making re:this method is that it embarasses or humiliates those students who are not prepared and can thus encourage low self-esteem or lack of respect among peers as well as a perception by the students of "negative" feedback from the instructor.
Thus, some people argue that it encourages responsibility and class participation, and enables the instructor to give attention to every student in the class, while others say that, if the student isn't prepared, such attention is negative and results in lack of esteem from the instructor, classmates and with regard to self.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Assuming this is a legit question...

I think your kids will learn more and be more engaged.
I don't think so. The Socratic method works well in philosophical classes where there is no right answer. It is used to foster debate and get students to look at all sides of a particular problem.

If your goal is to teach them to think quick on their feet, learn how subtle nuances can affect their decision-making, and how to use logic to come to a result, then it can be an effective way to teach.

But if your goal is to teach the substantive principles of management and management theory, a lot of the nuts and bolts of what you are trying to teach might get lost in the shuffle.

Anyways, when I took management in college, we had lectures and then did group case studies where we applied our lesson in real world type situations. I thought that was a highly effective way to get the students to participate, be engaged, and also learn the material.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I don't think so. The Socratic method works well in philosophical classes where there is no right answer. It is used to foster debate and get students to look at all sides of a particular problem.

If your goal is to teach them to think quick on their feet, learn how subtle nuances can affect their decision-making, and how to use logic to come to a result, then it can be an effective way to teach.

But if your goal is to teach the substantive principles of management and management theory, a lot of the nuts and bolts of what you are trying to teach might get lost in the shuffle.

Anyways, when I took management in college, we had lectures and then did group case studies where we applied our lesson in real world type situations. I thought that was a highly effective way to get the students to participate, be engaged, and also learn the material.
I agree and disagree with slim.

Agree that the socratic method is well suited for humanities and logic/debate subjects that will support long, sprawling diatribes in fluent legalese/Nietzsche-ese/New Yorker-ese, and not well suited to teaching theory that is more science than art.

I also agree that group case studies are effective management training.

I disagree that what the OP is describing would actually be the Socratic method. It sounds to me that this is simply going to great lengths to enforce reading of the material according to the syllabus schedule. I think its great to be strict. Demanding teachers get the best results. Perhaps not everyone's self esteem will be protected, but a crash-and-burn in a class of your peers is a significant psychological event that more or less guarantees that the victim will know the material inside and out for the remainder of the course.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I work as a Human Resources Manager and recruiter during the day.

I recently started teaching management classes in a college of business administration in the evenings. I got so tired of students who expected to cruise through class by just showing up and sitting there staring into space and not participating in the class. I decided to start using the "Socratic method" in class.
So you went back and edited your post to say your work in HR during the day? Are you SURE you teach class at night?

Three things make me wonder:

1) HR Managers don't normally teach college courses in Business Administration.

2) Evening classes are not available in the summer.

3) Summer course haven't started yet.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-28-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM

98 posts, read 478,826 times
Some colleges, particulary community colleges and small private "career' colleges DO offer evening classes during the summer.

The teaching style the OP discusses is certainly valid. I'd agree with the idea that it's more useful in teaching critcal thinking skills and decision making than for hammering home theory. One other key advantage is in teaching managers to communicate ideas, analysis, and facts in clear and concise presentations.

So, for teaching theory, lecture may be better. For preparing students to actually become effective managers, I'd prefer this interactive approach.

I'd also STRONGLY suggest some written assignments where the student needs to present conclusions from multiple inputs. Business writing skills are clearly on the decline in our "wat u doin. im chillin" text message society.

And, frankly, if the students don't think it's fair. Too bad. Those who have a sincere interest in becoming good managers and learning something useful will appreciate it. Those who just want to collect credits will look for another instructor. If they feel picked on for being asked a question in class they don't know the answer to, how are they going to respond to a tough question from a key customer, or the president of their company in a critical meeting?

Background, in case anyone cares: 14 years platform training delivery, design and management in the financial services industry. Management positions from retail store manager (in a past life) through Regional Training Director to current position as SVP, Training.

Paul

Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,788,257 times
This method was used throughout middle and high school for me. It stopped with college aside from an African American studies class and a creative writing class. I was in "International Baccalaureate" (not sure if you all are familiar with it, I would assume any teachers are) and this was standard for most classes. Im not sure if this style of teaching is common in all IB programs but I would assume it is (as compared with a traditional academic setting).

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,993,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
So you went back and edited your post to say your work in HR during the day? Are you SURE you teach class at night?

Three things make me wonder:

1) HR Managers don't normally teach college courses in Business Administration.

2) Evening classes are not available in the summer.

3) Summer course haven't started yet.
Who gives a ****? It's a legitimate question that has already generated interesting discussion. No one cares about your little sleuth mission to attempt to prove who the OP is or isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching