Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
No problem. So, does your school hire monitors to do those duties? I only wish the school I worked at could have been like yours when it comes to duties.
Yes, they have people whose job is to make copies, do lunch and bus duty. They also distribute supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 PM

76 posts, read 307,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalNative25 View Post

Are there any private school teachers out there? If so, can someone help me? What would be the starting salary of a 1st year, private school teacher in San Diego?
I've taught private and public school in California - and I'm sure it is comparable in most areas of California. Last public school job paid $39,000. Last private school (2 years later in 2007) paid $31,000 and I was glad to have found ANY teaching job at ANY pay. This was elementary school.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
In the Portland metro area the pay for a certified teacher is $20,000 per year without any benefits.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,170 times
Down here in Florida, I beleive our salary is 90% of the county salary for teachers in the public schools. If the county gets a raise, our raises are given a year after the county gets theirs, although, with the current economic conditions, salaries were frozen at their current levels for next year, regardless of what the step should be for teachers. When I moved from NY to FL, I took about a 10k pay cut on my base salary. I was able to skim some extra money doing odds and ends but it did not recoup that much. The one good thing was that FL didn't have a state tax, so the tax burden and savings, compared to NY was noticeable. It was still a big pay cut though. When I started in NY (Long Island) in 9/2000, I think my base salary, straight out of college was 30k. The next year, incoming teachers were getting 32k. I think its somewhere in the 42 area now, so that may be comparable to California.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Overall though, the children were better behaved, the parents seemed to care, and the administration was very supportive.
That was the draw for teachers at my son's private school (CA). They said they could actually teach there, as opposed to doing combat duty at a big public high school.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 PM

94 posts, read 225,126 times
Christian schools need to form some sort of plan for offering better retirement and benefits to their teachers. It is nice to hear about it being a ministry and a sacrifice, but guess what? We are losing great people to the public schools due to no health insurance and zero retirement . What about ACSI? Don't they consider this important?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
In the Portland metro area the pay for a certified teacher is $20,000 per year without any benefits.
Are those private or public schools?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Sorry, should be private is walk in the park compared to public.
Not necessarily. Some private schools are essentially reform schools taking kids that the public schools have expelled. That is the mission of some private schools.

Other private schools take any student so long as the tuition can be paid... those who have been expelled, those with behavior or mental issues because their tuition keeps the doors open.

I've taught both private and public (and in Alabama where Hey Teach is from as well as other states), and in general, didn't see any real difference as to how hard the job was. Pros and cons to both.

Every school I've taught in did something better, and worse, than any other place I'd worked.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM

94 posts, read 225,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Not necessarily. Some private schools are essentially reform schools taking kids that the public schools have expelled. That is the mission of some private schools.

Other private schools take any student so long as the tuition can be paid... those who have been expelled, those with behavior or mental issues because their tuition keeps the doors open.

I've taught both private and public (and in Alabama where Hey Teach is from as well as other states), and in general, didn't see any real difference as to how hard the job was. Pros and cons to both.

Every school I've taught in did something better, and worse, than any other place I'd worked.
Yes I agree this has become the case. So much of what private schools are attempting to avoid has made its way in there anyway. Smoking, drugs, sex,violence...you name it and it's all in the private schools. I suppose the advantage would be dealing with it on a smaller scale. Parents who pay large price tags to shelter their children from this might be very dismayed to know that all of it still happens in private education as well. Public schools in some ways seem more prepared to deal with it and have hall monitors and police. Many private schools assume they don't have to worry about it and thus end up unprepared for it when it happens. Also many parents pull their kids from public school and put them in private education because their children are having too many problems. For example their child keeps failing the state exam so they put them in private schools to avoid the mandated state exams. Also their child may have been suspended or have a record on their file so they pull them out to try and erase that and start over. Many private schools view it as a missions field so they admit these students hoping to help them out. Then all the other students become exposed to things that they would not otherwise have been, resulting in an environment that mirrors the very thing they were trying to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching