Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times

Advertisements

As I have stated in other posts I teach at a local college and a trade school program in their certificate program (as well as acting as a HR Manager for a large Company).

Anyway, the teaching side of my career is the most challenging and rewarding. When I first started to teach ten years ago I was convinced that I would connect with every student and give them all this information that would change their life. How naive I was! Most of the students in the classes I teach in the evening originally had no interest in attending my courses but had to because it was part of the program.

No matter how interesting I am and how polished my presentation is, or innovative my teaching approach can be- it seems like maybe half of the students are not really interested in what I have to say. Should I basically put my attention towards the students who appear engaged and participate in class or work even harder to try to convince those problem students to listen and be engaged? I am afraid if I put to much attention towards the disinterested students the people who are engaged will not get all the information. Teachers: what is your approach?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 06-17-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,325,215 times
The thing is: having 100% students interested in what you teach is almost impossible, even if you are the best teacher in the world (though it's hard to tell what a good teacher is - you will be good to some students, and a good for nothing to others).
Being a teacher myself, I tried all I could to get my students to listen and take part in the lesson - but there were always students who could not care less... But never, ever show any indifference towards the students who don't (seem to) pay attention. Treat all of them the same way, otherwise it could make things worse!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,670 times
Teach to the middle 50%. The ones at the top will get it anyway, bless 'em; the ones at the bottom never will. If you spend too much time with the bottom you lose the rest.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
its not about teaching it about not getting assaulted. but probably from what i have heard impartial treatment and attention seems to be the demand.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As I have stated in other posts I teach at a local college and a trade school program in their certificate program (as well as acting as a HR Manager for a large Company).

Anyway, the teaching side of my career is the most challenging and rewarding. When I first started to teach ten years ago I was convinced that I would connect with every student and give them all this information that would change their life. How naive I was! Most of the students in the classes I teach in the evening originally had no interest in attending my courses but had to because it was part of the program.

No matter how interesting I am and how polished my presentation is, or innovative my teaching approach can be- it seems like maybe half of the students are not really interested in what I have to say. Should I basically put my attention towards the students who appear engaged and participate in class or work even harder to try to convince those problem students to listen and be engaged? I am afraid if I put to much attention towards the disinterested students the people who are engaged will not get all the information. Teachers: what is your approach?
Since you teach to college students, teach to those who are interested and forget the rest. They're adults and if they don't care about their educaitons, it's not your issue. If they want to goof off in a class they paid for, they'll learn an expensive lesson.

By the time kids get to college, it's time to stop coddling them. Either they do the work to succeed or they don't. The choice and consequences are theirs.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 PM

249 posts, read 754,200 times
I think there is a big difference between teaching at the college level and teaching, let's say, elementary school. I teach 4th grade and while some kids are more interested in learning than others, I would never teach to only 50% of them. A teacher that does that should not be in a classroom.

Now, at the college level, I think it is up to the student to make sure they are learning. If they can't make it in college without being coddled, then perhaps college isn't the place for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching