Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,124,913 times

Advertisements

It really isn't hard to figure out when you think about it. In fact the actual cause is probably right in front of us. Well here it goes food for thought as to why so many public school teachers burn out. They have been going to school to long. Way to long. Most people stop going to school about 18. Some continue til 20 and a few more continue to 22 ish. Even if most do continue to 20 or 22 how many people go to school for 45-60 years? Think about it. Most of us start school at age 5 and by the time we are 22 we have had enough. Some are fed up well before that. Well teachers keep on going and walking into a classrooms day in and day out. Don't you think that can get stale after awhile? Start at age 5 by the time you hit 45 you have 40 years of class room time in. Day after day after day etc. By age 45 you have had 40 years of Winter and Spring break. How many years of graded papers, forget the fact you didn't have to write them all those years you are still deeply involved. Why do teachers hate staff development so much? You got it, how many years of being taught can one human being take. Now you do the math at age 50, 55 and 60 or beyond. How many teachers can one person tolerate having to listen to all their life talk about behavior. Just food for thought and do you think it might have merit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It really isn't hard to figure out when you think about it. In fact the actual cause is probably right in front of us. Well here it goes food for thought as to why so many public school teachers burn out. They have been going to school to long. Way to long. Most people stop going to school about 18. Some continue til 20 and a few more continue to 22 ish. Even if most do continue to 20 or 22 how many people go to school for 45-60 years? Think about it. Most of us start school at age 5 and by the time we are 22 we have had enough. Some are fed up well before that. Well teachers keep on going and walking into a classrooms day in and day out. Don't you think that can get stale after awhile? Start at age 5 by the time you hit 45 you have 40 years of class room time in. Day after day after day etc. By age 45 you have had 40 years of Winter and Spring break. How many years of graded papers, forget the fact you didn't have to write them all those years you are still deeply involved. Why do teachers hate staff development so much? You got it, how many years of being taught can one human being take. Now you do the math at age 50, 55 and 60 or beyond. How many teachers can one person tolerate having to listen to all their life talk about behavior. Just food for thought and do you think it might have merit?

I'll have to disagree. You can't keep me out of school. As soon as I finish one program, I'm looking for the next. As far as I'm concerned, my education will never be finished.

As a teacher, the reason I hate inservices is that someone else picks the subject. I'd rather be free to learn what I need to learn. In services assume that the 1st year teacher and the 25th year teacher need the same lecture when what they really need is worlds apart.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'll have to disagree. You can't keep me out of school. As soon as I finish one program, I'm looking for the next. As far as I'm concerned, my education will never be finished.

As a teacher, the reason I hate inservices is that someone else picks the subject. I'd rather be free to learn what I need to learn. In services assume that the 1st year teacher and the 25th year teacher need the same lecture when what they really need is worlds apart.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you have a 20 year stint in engineering? You didn't stay in a school setting straight through. Might be why you are so energized and raring to go, you had a nice break. As far as the 1st year and 25th year not needing the same thing I said that a couple of days ago in another thread we were both in so obviously we agree.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,997,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Isn't that basically education in a nutshell? If you're going through the K-12 school system, someone else is always picking the subject. If you're studying toward a particular degree, you have to take requisite courses whether you like them or not, and in the first couple of years, whether they will help you in your major or not.

I do agree with you in that my education will never be finished either, until I die. I'm not talking about schooling, I'm talking about learning.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,797,064 times
Quote:
I'm not a teacher, so can't comment from that perspective. I have had six years of higher education, though, and am planning on going back to finish up my PhD. It's been my experience that each stage of school has been dramatically different than the last - elementary school, junior high, high school, college, graduate school - each is a distinct phase and has different expecations and demands. (and I wouldn't say it's "being taught," either - I think a more appropriate phrase would be "learning," as learning is active, being taught is passive, and a good education is not passive.) I'm sure some teachers do burn out from doing the routine year after year (as do people in all professions), but I wouldn't count the years of being a student as part of the total tally.

If I were a teacher I think I'd be more frustrated about having society at large always throwing blame my way for students who aren't making "progress." Teachers can only do so much to counteract the larger issues facing society and individual students and families.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM

288 posts, read 853,167 times
Quote:
Most people stop going to school about 18.
Most people stop going to school at 18? Do you live in the sticks? Most people I know have at least a 4-year college degree, if not more. If you don't like learning or aren't a very good student, then yeah, being in school is unappealing, but I think teachers are burning out for other reasons.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,492,402 times
Quote:
Nope. No merit.

MOST stop going to school at 18 and a FEW more continue on until they are 22?????? What country do you live in?

Going to school as a kid to learn and teaching school as a paid state worker are two different things.

Teacher "burn out" is just an excuse for those with tenure to suck at their
jobs and get away with it.

Last edited by JerseyG; 07-19-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
Most people stop going to school at 18? Do you live in the sticks? Most people I know have at least a 4-year college degree, if not more. If you don't like learning or aren't a very good student, then yeah, being in school is unappealing, but I think teachers are burning out for other reasons.
Notice later on I phrased it with more continuing beyond 18 for this very reason. People have different experiences and come from different areas and I wanted to cover the bases for all. I did assume everyone would read and comprehend. You need to remember there are states with dropout rates over 25% and that means a significant part of their population don't make it to 18.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...ml#post9851745
Even if most do continue to 20 or 22 how many people go to school for 45-60 years?

The above is from my link so I am not crazy but still maintain reading comprehension is fundamental.

Also my thoughts don't exclude other considerations but provide a background for those other considerations to play out in.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Nope. No merit.

MOST stop going to school at 18 and a FEW more continue on until they are 22?????? What country do you live in?

Going to school as a kid to learn and teaching school as a paid state worker are two different things.

Once again as in the above response. Reading comprehension is fundamental. Did you just read to a certain point have a visceral reaction, respond and stop reading?

With regards to what country I live in? Hmmmm I would answer but obviously it might confuse some posters.

Note I said 18 and not high school. Many are still 18 when they complete their first year of college and we know that ends it for even more. You normally turn 19 the year after you graduate from high school. Thus with most colleges ending in May of the year they turn 19 and with May being only the 5th month of the year the majority are completing their first year of college and are still 18.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Nope. No merit.

Workers get burned out in many jobs and get paid. What is the relevance of getting paid as a condition to or not get burned out? Please help lurkers to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching