Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
What Ive found works best is you have to physically go into a school and Introduce yourself and let them know you are looking for work. Then they can get an idea of who you are. Appearances go a long way, its not just the knowledge thats in your head. Also, have you ever worked a s ubstitute teacher. I did it for about 3 years so when I finished the teaching program, I had a ton of connections and reconmendations. Regular resume sending just leaves you as a face in the crowd and you will only get hired by a desperate school district
I also substitute in Waterbury, CT, but I rarely get called so it's been hard for me to make connections. I appreciate the advice about going to schools though, I will definitely start to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:48 AM

109 posts, read 365,527 times
If you want a referral to something that can also help you get more substitute jobs if your district uses Aesop, send me a PM with your name and an email address. It increased the number of jobs I went on without me sitting by the phone for hours.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,682 times
Teaching is the noblest of professions. It certainly does not pay well in hard currency - but real educators do not teach for the money.
Regrettably some of the brightest brains are not available to impart to younger generations the wisdom they possess.
And there are many sub-grade teachers. So do not blame students for failing. It is not the raw material - but the masters to blame.

Although for years I left the formal institutions I continued to teach where ever I was. By sharing knowledge and showing students how to learn there is a satisfaction to be gained which money can not buy.

Just saw a Ninja Movie - and one thing that intrigued me was the regimentation in the teaching system. Makes one think of how our students might perform in school if the schools were more regimented.
Whatever happened to our school system?

Talk about the permissive society. By failing to regiment the learning environment we do a disservice to our children - and ultimately the students reign in ignorance and the talented teachers desert the institutions in droves.

Where did this mess stem from? Serious reform of the education system is required before our children can gain a proper education - and before the nation can become truly intelligent.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM

306 posts, read 760,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

I was told that schools are desperate for math teachers. If you want to teach history or English or elementary, your chances are slim, but if you are certified to teach math or science, you will get multiple job offers.

That is a bunch of B.S.!

I was advised that I would have better chances at a job if I applied to a rural school district for $28,000 a year. Yeah, I'm going to move away from my family to earn peanuts teaching a bunch of hicks.

Enough is enough!

P.S. Don't tell me it's because I'm too picky. My mother has a Texas teaching certificate in math and refuses to teach because she doesn't like anyone who isn't white. She would get priority over anyone (like myself) who doesn't have any experience in the classroom.
A) Thanks for the support. I'm a science major and not finding quite the job opportunities open to me in areas other than sub teaching because I'm Native American.

Which leads me to...B)
Thanks for reminding me not to to to the Deep South. I have a hard enough time not being treated like a "damn black" in areas NOT the Deep South.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,022,650 times
It seems to me that a major problem with finding a teaching job is the (understandable) lack of flexibility in a lot of the posters on this thread. If you can't or won't work in a place that is poor/rural/inner city/far away/has poor pay because you're too settled/need more money/want to teach white suburban kids, you're practically throwing the jobs to those of us who are just out of college, are willing to go wherever, and think that $30k sounds like a good deal. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but even with my lack of experience I have a feeling I'll have an easier time finding a job than a lot of others because I'm more willing to try new things.

It's something to think about, anyways: In what areas can you adjust a little bit to make yourself a little more flexible so you can actually find a job? What compromises can you make?

For example, I REALLY want to find a job in New Mexico w/in 6 months of graduating. I'm willing to pretty much teach anywhere- poor rural areas, reservations, etc. I do, however, understand I am at a disadvantage because I'll be trying to find a job while out-of-state. However, if I can't find a job within a period of time, I'll widen my search. Is it ideal? No way. Can I live with it, at least for a while? Sure, and that's going to make a whole lot of difference in finding a job.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,870,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
For example, I REALLY want to find a job in New Mexico w/in 6 months of graduating. I'm willing to pretty much teach anywhere- poor rural areas, reservations, etc. I do, however, understand I am at a disadvantage because I'll be trying to find a job while out-of-state. However, if I can't find a job within a period of time, I'll widen my search. Is it ideal? No way. Can I live with it, at least for a while? Sure, and that's going to make a whole lot of difference in finding a job.
Having taught on the Rez in New Mexico, I can tell you that it's something I would NEVER do again. The living conditions (for the teachers) were abysmal, the closest doctor (for non-tribe members) was 50 miles away, as was the closest bank branch and department store. You might not mind that so much at 22 (or however old you'll be when you graduate), but when you've got a few years on you, it's really not such a great experience .....

(I've also taught in the South Bronx and, for me, that wasn't nearly as bad.)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,716,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I am livid. I blew $640 on tuition and TX state exam fees (just the down payment on the total tuition of $4,000) and three weeks of time to get a math teaching certificate.

I was told that schools are desperate for math teachers. If you want to teach history or English or elementary, your chances are slim, but if you are certified to teach math or science, you will get multiple job offers.

That is a bunch of B.S.!

I applied to every school district in Tarrant County TX (Ft. Worth) and got one job interview and no job offer. The idiots couldn't even be bothered to send me a rejection letter, which is really sad after interviewing with them and being told there's only one other candidate. Kudos to Crowley ISD for sending me a rejection letter and thumbs-down to the rest of District 11 for totally ignoring me.

I got a job offer in the business world in July and I am so glad I didn't turn it down hoping for a teaching job.

Today was the first day of school, so that means it's officially over. If a school calls me because the person they hired walked out, I will tell them "you had your chance, now you have to live with it, bu-bye".

From now on, when I am presented with an option to vote for a tax increase for more money for public schools, I am voting NO. These idiots are full of crap and there is no reason for us taxpayers to throw good money after bad.

I was advised that I would have better chances at a job if I applied to a rural school district for $28,000 a year. Yeah, I'm going to move away from my family to earn peanuts teaching a bunch of hicks.

In the business world, I make the same amount of money that first-year math teachers in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex make -- 50 big ones.

Obviously the teacher salaries are too high if they are getting way more applicants than positions. But if the schools cut teacher's pay, the teachers would arrive to school with torches and pitchforks.

If schools were privatized we would not have this problem. As long as schools are government-run, the taxpayers will be taking it in the shorts and the children will suffer because of the schools' ineptitude.

Enough is enough!

P.S. Don't tell me it's because I'm too picky. My mother has a Texas teaching certificate in math and refuses to teach because she doesn't like anyone who isn't white. She would get priority over anyone (like myself) who doesn't have any experience in the classroom. I spent a week at Trimble Tech High School in Ft. Worth, which is something like 90% non-white, a place my witch mother wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I had a wonderful time and was able to connect with the students and help them learn some Algebra I and Algebra II. I actually shed a tear when the week was over because those students needed me (they said 'please come back next week'), and I desperately wanted to help them avoid dropping out and selling drugs, which is their only realistic choice if they don't graduate.

Vindictive/spiteful much? You make it sound like everyon with a degree is OWED a job.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM

414 posts, read 1,022,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Having taught on the Rez in New Mexico, I can tell you that it's something I would NEVER do again. The living conditions (for the teachers) were abysmal, the closest doctor (for non-tribe members) was 50 miles away, as was the closest bank branch and department store. You might not mind that so much at 22 (or however old you'll be when you graduate), but when you've got a few years on you, it's really not such a great experience .....

(I've also taught in the South Bronx and, for me, that wasn't nearly as bad.)
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about it. There are a few teachers that seem to enjoy it, but most I've talked to didn't like it. However, I do think I'd prefer teaching on a reservation to teaching in East St. Louis, the Chicago ghetto, or any other low-income urban area that needs teachers badly.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,969,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Vindictive/spiteful much? You make it sound like everyone with a degree is OWED a job.
Now why would someone who spends the time, effort and money to earn the credentials "expect" a fair shot? Oh that's right, DFW is where connections are all that matter.

Last edited by nomore07; 03-30-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,778,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about it. There are a few teachers that seem to enjoy it, but most I've talked to didn't like it. However, I do think I'd prefer teaching on a reservation to teaching in East St. Louis, the Chicago ghetto, or any other low-income urban area that needs teachers badly.
Some of my closest, life-long friends were ones met while we were all teaching on the Navajo Reservation in NM. We fly from all over the country for a reunion to meet to backpack the Colo Trail in the summer.

I had a 3 bedroom house for very cheap rent. In fact, I could deduct it because I was a member of the volunteer fire department.

BIA pay was much higher than NM districts. Yes the winds in the spring were horrible, the paint was chipping and blowing off the houses in the compound. But we hiked to anasazi ruins that hardly anyone knew about with ancient ladders & latillas & corn cobs in the graineries & pot chards everywhere. Experientially, it can't be beat for life exposure.

Yes, we drove 50 miles to a country doctor & 40 miles to Bashas for groceries. The local trading post only had monster car 5 & kung fu videos to rent.

The locals all cooked us fried bread, sold us the most beautiful rugs & woven baskets, & treated us with respect.

But the delight were the children... free & wild & a rare delight! I spent 10 years there and leaving was bitter-sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching