Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:37 PM

155 posts, read 283,368 times

Advertisements

oh and don't discourage teaching because some one needs to teach the future generations
if you have kids you would want teachers who care..........not someone who quits really soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,311,254 times
My 2 cents, most people who hate teaching probably werent cut out for it to begin with. A lot of folks figured "hey, short work day, tons of days off, great health benefits,I will dictate lessons to the kids, the kids will love all of my wonderful ideas and be quiet and respectful, and If I have any discipline problems I will send them to the dean/ principal's off" WRONG WRONG.
Teaching can be a cool job depending on who your are, but its certainly not for everybody. If you're not prepared to be strong, stand up to know it all parents, and most of all, not be afraid of the kids then you really shouldnt be there. People have to understand, kids dont neccessarily respect the position, they respect individuals. If you are: short, overweight, feature a high voice, have bad skin skin, bad hair, unmanicured feet, hands; students , especially in rough areas, will make fun of you and give you are hard time, especially if u have low self esteem
. Students are typically bored in a classroom and will do whatever to be entertained, especially if they dont find the teacher interesting or at the very least, a bit scarey
A lot of teachers dont take this into into consderation. Theyare scared to really lay into a kid b/c they are always thinking about consequences. Also, you have to be quite witty and have a comeback for every smart remark you will hear b/c they will come.
For me personally, its a cool job, especially if you work in places like LA,NYC or the states of NJ or COnn. where you're starting salary will be bewteen 40 and 52 k. I present a strong image to my kids (HS) and for the most part I dont have any problems. Some laziness of course but Im fine with that b/c I realize some kids will drop out and some will end up in jail. As long as Imnot disrepecte dthey have the right to fail
Im aware that they are looking for any sign of weakness and I dont give em any. Grown men especially that can't handle HS kids make me sick. They make it worst for everybody else. Kids pick up early who they can scheme on and adults do the same. As I stated in the beginning, how good the job is depends on the individual

Old 11-27-2009, 04:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveGal View Post
oh and don't discourage teaching because some one needs to teach the future generations
if you have kids you would want teachers who care..........not someone who quits really soon
There are too many available to teach the future generations. That's the problem. The sooner those who can find other work and get out of the profession do so, the sooner those who can't will find work in the profession and settle in. Right now, we need a lot of teachers to quit. We have way too many.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are too many available to teach the future generations. That's the problem. The sooner those who can find other work and get out of the profession do so, the sooner those who can't will find work in the profession and settle in. Right now, we need a lot of teachers to quit. We have way too many.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I'm sorry, that should read "The sooner those who can find work outside of the profession do so, the sooner those who can't get out of the profession will find jobs as teachers and settle in." One thing all teachers need is experience. To get experience you need the job. The faster those who are leaving the profession leave, the faster those staying can settle in. I'm trying to get out as fast as I can. Unfortunately, the job market isn't cooperating but I will make way for the person who wants this job permanently when I leave. Maybe the next person who takes the job I have will be able to live off what they pay long term. I can't. If they can, then this position within the school stabilizes. The teacher gains experience year over year and the students will gain.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-28-2009 at 05:05 AM..

Old 11-28-2009, 05:37 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,644,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm sorry, that should read "The sooner those who can find work outside of the profession do so, the sooner those who can't get out of the profession will find jobs as teachers and settle in." One thing all teachers need is experience. To get experience you need the job. The faster those who are leaving the profession leave, the faster those staying can settle in. I'm trying to get out as fast as I can. Unfortunately, the job market isn't cooperating but I will make way for the person who wants this job permanently when I leave. Maybe the next person who takes the job I have will be able to live off what they pay long term. I can't. If they can, then this position within the school stabilizes. The teacher gains experience year over year and the students will gain.
The number of fallacious concepts in the above paragraph is amazing.

If those who could get work outside of the teaching profession actually stuck with the teaching profession, then they, too, would "settle in," and the students would gain.

If all those who could work outside of the teaching profession left the teaching profession, the students would lose far more than they would gain.

There is no American teaching whose soul work option is teaching.

I'll skip the rest of it.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,319,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I am livid. I blew $640 on tuition and TX state exam fees (just the down payment on the total tuition of $4,000) and three weeks of time to get a math teaching certificate.

I was told that schools are desperate for math teachers. If you want to teach history or English or elementary, your chances are slim, but if you are certified to teach math or science, you will get multiple job offers.

That is a bunch of B.S.!

I applied to every school district in Tarrant County TX (Ft. Worth) and got one job interview and no job offer. The idiots couldn't even be bothered to send me a rejection letter, which is really sad after interviewing with them and being told there's only one other candidate. Kudos to Crowley ISD for sending me a rejection letter and thumbs-down to the rest of District 11 for totally ignoring me.

I got a job offer in the business world in July and I am so glad I didn't turn it down hoping for a teaching job.

Today was the first day of school, so that means it's officially over. If a school calls me because the person they hired walked out, I will tell them "you had your chance, now you have to live with it, bu-bye".

From now on, when I am presented with an option to vote for a tax increase for more money for public schools, I am voting NO. These idiots are full of crap and there is no reason for us taxpayers to throw good money after bad.

There has been a fued between our school district and the community here. They had presented a referendum to increase our taxes to do a few things but most of the money was going to go to the administration as pay hikes for them. First, teachers went on strike for four months because THEY weren't getting paid enough. Then they put out the referendum, it got voted down. They cut a lot of stuff from music, gym and band among others and threatened more and prepared yet another referendum. The community held their ground. They cut everything including sports, cut teachers staff and took away the right of the parents to choose which elementary and middle schools their children went to. Now the school board blaims the parents and homeschoolers to all those who were on their side and they will verbally go off on people in public for homeschooling.

I was advised that I would have better chances at a job if I applied to a rural school district for $28,000 a year. Yeah, I'm going to move away from my family to earn peanuts teaching a bunch of hicks.

A rural district....a bunch of hicks. WHAT IS YOU PROBLEM!!! I am thinking you should not have spent your week in an inner city school and instead spent sometime in the "hick" school to learn a little tolerance. Rural schools are not exempt of the issues of the bigger schools but you may find that are usually not half as bad. The students are sometimes more respectful. The close nit communities allow you to better get to know the families. I had more than one teacher for 3 or 4 times between the 7th and 12th grades. When we graduated, they cried as we left and were truly proud of us for accomplishing it. You are not fit for teaching if you are so confident in calling kids names such as hicks.

In case you didn't know hick means: offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody’s rural residence or background and his or her intelligence and level of sophistication

The students from the students from rural schools are not less intelligent than the ones from the inner city schools. In fact, you are less likely to have misplaced hope in the students who are struggling. They are more likely to succeed than their struggling inner city peers as they have more opportunities to really see that someone is there to help them and there are fewer pressures outside of the school to make it harder.

In the business world, I make the same amount of money that first-year math teachers in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex make -- 50 big ones.

Obviously the teacher salaries are too high if they are getting way more applicants than positions. But if the schools cut teacher's pay, the teachers would arrive to school with torches and pitchforks.

If schools were privatized we would not have this problem. As long as schools are government-run, the taxpayers will be taking it in the shorts and the children will suffer because of the schools' ineptitude.

This I agree with. I am with the seperation of school and state idea.

Enough is enough!

P.S. Don't tell me it's because I'm too picky. My mother has a Texas teaching certificate in math and refuses to teach because she doesn't like anyone who isn't white. She would get priority over anyone (like myself) who doesn't have any experience in the classroom. I spent a week at Trimble Tech High School in Ft. Worth, which is something like 90% non-white, a place my witch mother wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I had a wonderful time and was able to connect with the students and help them learn some Algebra I and Algebra II. I actually shed a tear when the week was over because those students needed me (they said 'please come back next week'), and I desperately wanted to help them avoid dropping out and selling drugs, which is their only realistic choice if they don't graduate.
I have to say you have a lot of animosity toward your mother. In fact, it sounds like you resent her for being such a bigot so you are going to an extreme to do the opposite of her but in the end being just like her by insulting students of rural schools. The way it sounds, neither of you should be teaching.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,546 times
I graduated from an Master's of Arts in Teaching program at Columbia University last August. I am certified to teach Social Studies grades 7-12 in New York and Connecticut. I have applied to over 90 teaching jobs all over NY and CT: public, private, charter, parochial, boarding....you name it I've applied. I have not had one single interview. One HR representative at a school district in CT had never heard of Columbia University and questioned me about my citizenship status, since he thought I came from Colombia. My resume was done with help from CU's Career Services and advice from my cooperating teacher from my student teaching placement in the South Bronx. I have been astounded at the amount of ineptness and unorganization at the upper echelon of both school and district administrations. I am at wit's end because I have $80,000 worth of student loans to pay back starting in May and I currently make $10 an hour tutoring after school in my hometown of Waterbury, CT. I don't want to, but it may be time for me to look outside of the education field.

Does anyone have advice/words of encouragement for me before I drive my car off of a cliff? Thank you.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,319,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
My 2 cents, most people who hate teaching probably werent cut out for it to begin with. A lot of folks figured "hey, short work day, tons of days off, great health benefits,I will dictate lessons to the kids, the kids will love all of my wonderful ideas and be quiet and respectful, and If I have any discipline problems I will send them to the dean/ principal's off" WRONG WRONG.
Teaching can be a cool job depending on who your are, but its certainly not for everybody. If you're not prepared to be strong, stand up to know it all parents, and most of all, not be afraid of the kids then you really shouldnt be there. People have to understand, kids dont neccessarily respect the position, they respect individuals. If you are: short, overweight, feature a high voice, have bad skin skin, bad hair, unmanicured feet, hands; students , especially in rough areas, will make fun of you and give you are hard time, especially if u have low self esteem
. Students are typically bored in a classroom and will do whatever to be entertained, especially if they dont find the teacher interesting or at the very least, a bit scarey
A lot of teachers dont take this into into consderation. Theyare scared to really lay into a kid b/c they are always thinking about consequences. Also, you have to be quite witty and have a comeback for every smart remark you will hear b/c they will come.
For me personally, its a cool job, especially if you work in places like LA,NYC or the states of NJ or COnn. where you're starting salary will be bewteen 40 and 52 k. I present a strong image to my kids (HS) and for the most part I dont have any problems. Some laziness of course but Im fine with that b/c I realize some kids will drop out and some will end up in jail. As long as Imnot disrepecte dthey have the right to fail
Im aware that they are looking for any sign of weakness and I dont give em any. Grown men especially that can't handle HS kids make me sick. They make it worst for everybody else. Kids pick up early who they can scheme on and adults do the same. As I stated in the beginning, how good the job is depends on the individual
I think you may be a bit ingorant on this subject, and I'm not meaning it as a insult but just an observation. One problems schools have are that they are not set up to change with the times. Students spend all their time outside of school before kindergarten being over stimulated by flashing cartoons, too many toys, flashing pointless toys, and video games. Their brains have thus developed to expect that in every day life. You have to find healthy ways to stimulate the children that will make learning enjoyable. Cut the crap with making macaroni art, one of just one waste of time project among many, and actually teach them things that they will remember.

The class I think I remembered the most from all these years....My 7th grade science teacher taught a special elective for junors and seniors that he actually interviewed the students for before letting them into the class as the seats filled up fast. We got the opportunity to fly a small passenger plane. We got to build and shoot rockets. The funniest thing, to this day, I could STILL draw you a diagram of an airplane engine and tell you exactly how it works, not to mention all the the other parts of the plane and how the entire thing works.

The way he taught us was....He would teach us Mon-Fri. At the end of the class time on Monday, he would review what we learned, making sure we knew the answers to a quiz we would get later. At the end of Tues, we would review what we learned on Mon & Tues and so on and so forth. On Friday, at the end of the day we would review and take a 10 point quiz. It was rare that a student got any wrong. We would have unit tests when we finished a subject. We spent an entire day studying with him and the next day giving us the big test. Again, rare was it that anyone got more than a couple wrong.

Regardless of the fact that we did do things that were entertaining to us a couple times, it was HOW he taught outside of that that made it possible for us to remember the information. But then again, we started 7th grade with him teaching how to retain information by remembering a series of pictures in our heads. He REALLY knew how to make us remember what he taught us. It was his passion and excitement for the subject, the fact that it was set up for only the very serious students, that made you want to do well because it was no longer an obligation but what you signed a contract for PLUS he made it very easy to remember things that even college grads would not see in college. He was one of a handful of teachers I really respected.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,311,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoMets2010 View Post
I graduated from an Master's of Arts in Teaching program at Columbia University last August. I am certified to teach Social Studies grades 7-12 in New York and Connecticut. I have applied to over 90 teaching jobs all over NY and CT: public, private, charter, parochial, boarding....you name it I've applied. I have not had one single interview. One HR representative at a school district in CT had never heard of Columbia University and questioned me about my citizenship status, since he thought I came from Colombia. My resume was done with help from CU's Career Services and advice from my cooperating teacher from my student teaching placement in the South Bronx. I have been astounded at the amount of ineptness and unorganization at the upper echelon of both school and district administrations. I am at wit's end because I have $80,000 worth of student loans to pay back starting in May and I currently make $10 an hour tutoring after school in my hometown of Waterbury, CT. I don't want to, but it may be time for me to look outside of the education field.

Does anyone have advice/words of encouragement for me before I drive my car off of a cliff? Thank you.
What Ive found works best is you have to physically go into a school and Introduce yourself and let them know you are looking for work. Then they can get an idea of who you are. Appearances go a long way, its not just the knowledge thats in your head. Also, have you ever worked a s ubstitute teacher. I did it for about 3 years so when I finished the teaching program, I had a ton of connections and reconmendations. Regular resume sending just leaves you as a face in the crowd and you will only get hired by a desperate school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching