Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,624,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This is not different then many things in life. Supply vs Demand with the target being market equilibrium. It is better to be first in as last end can be to late. When looking for careers that take some time and prep to qualify for you need to look beyond the moment but also at the pipeline ahead of you.
That's what I did. SUPPOSEDLY, we were raising the bar and they wanted subject matter experts in math and science in the classroom. Only it turns out they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,132,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's what I did. SUPPOSEDLY, we were raising the bar and they wanted subject matter experts in math and science in the classroom. Only it turns out they don't.
I have avoided saying this before but alas now I shall. Maybe, just maybe or perhaps just perhaps the issue isn't with your qualifications but with something else in your presentation.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,306,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Say what you will about his delivery, but he has a point. I just graduated from college with a teaching certificate and the job market is not what it used to be in education. I ended up taking a paraprofessional job for the meantime.

Nepotism is my biggest complaint.
Yes, our friends' son in law wanted to go into teaching here in Texas and he really never found anything either. So I tend to believe the job market may indeed be tight for that ...at least around here.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have avoided saying this before but alas now I shall. Maybe, just maybe or perhaps just perhaps the issue isn't with your qualifications but with something else in your presentation.
If I didn't know 5 other people with the same qualifications who are having the same issue, I might believe you. The problem is the state said they wanted subject matter experts but what schools value is flexibility. So, general science certs are in demand but specialized certs are not. So much for raising the bar. When I started my program, they were supposed to eliminate holders of the general science cert teaching chemistry and physics. Had they done that, people like me would be in demand. Unfortunately, they were so afraid they'd have a shortage of teachers, they didn't do that.

The university I attended warned the state this would happen if they allowed holders of the general science certs to teach chemistry and physics (I'm ticked off they didn't warn their students). I'm not alone by any means. I know of teachers who have gone back and put a general science cert on top of single subject certs so they can find a job. If you hold biology or earth science along with either chemsitry or physics, you need only 12 credits. Unfortunately, I need 24 credits (12 in life science and 12 in earth science) to do that so it will take a few years (I need 12 in life science, 12 in earth science and 12 total between chemistry and/or physics. I have over 100 in chemistry and physics and none in life or earth science. So, I'm WAY beyond the 36 credits for general science, they're just not in the right sciences. My combination is actually the area where the least credits are needed for a general science cert. ) I have a friend, who had a general science cert, who just got a job teaching chemistry in a district and she only had one semester of chemistry in college (5 credits) and has never taught chemistry before. I couldn't interview because the posting stated that candidates "must have" a general science certificate. The last 7 positions I've seen post have required a general science certificate and, with the exception of the charters and private schools, the first question I was asked when I went to the teaching job fair was "Do you have a DI or DX?" (the two general science certs in Michigan). I can't get past my certs to find out if it's me. They look no further than the fact I don't have a general science cerfiticate.

I'm not sure if I'll get the DI cert or not. 3 to 4 more years of school just to get a decent job seems like a bit much on top of two masters degrees. Fortunately, (I HOPE), the university just awarded me a major in math to replace my minor. While I can't even get a response for a chemistry or physics position, I get, polite, letters when I apply for math positions explaining they want a math major, which I can understand. What doesn't show is that I had more credits than I needed for a major. I was missing one course that the university decided to waive so now I have that major. It's probably too late for this year but I have some hope for the spring now that I can compete with the math majors for math positions. There are a lot of them but the fact I actually get a response when I apply for those positions gives me hope that I'll be, seriously, considered as a math major.

FTR, I've interviewed for three positions in charter schools. One offered me a job on the spot without asking me to teach a lesson, one offered me a job after I taught a lesson and I taught a lesson but was beat out by the other candidate for the third position. I interviewed in one district for a math position but there were 17 candidates and they wanted a math major, preferrably with district experience. I asked them what I could have done better and was told "nothing". They said I had interviewed very well it was just that there were candidates with math majors who had more experience than I did in the pool. I really don't think it's me. However, I'd love the opportunity to test the theory, lol.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-31-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,707 times
I applied all over the place for a job. This year it seems there is a teacher glut. If you are going through an ACP program, you have tons of competition. Right now in the big TX cities there are many, many applicants for one job. If you're a Christian, pray and trust God. But kids in rural districts are not hicks, they are great kids.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:48 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,318,274 times
If you completed a teaching program just for employment, you will eventually find yourself frustrated and angry.

Teaching transcends employment.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM

4,392 posts, read 4,259,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If you completed a teaching program just for employment, you will eventually find yourself frustrated and angry.

Absolutely.

The problem for many teachers is that they see teaching as a job, rather than a mission. Those of us for whom teaching is a mission actually undermine the efforts of those who see it as a career choice.

I am choosing to teach because I believe that it is what God has chosen for me to do. My family is suffering financially because I chose to teach rather than go into industry, where I would likely be making 2-3 times my current salary. Because so many other teachers make similar choices to mine, the field of education has many over-qualified people earning less than their market value. At my school alone, there are over two dozen people who could easily be successful in the fields of medicine, law, and business. We all believe in our mission, and we have seen success, finally in our school.

Because there are many people who are willing to be underpaid for teaching, those who would chose teaching as a career and expect professional working conditions sometimes find themselves where principals can choose a less-qualified candidate who is more willing to work for free. After all, the man-hours the staff must put in on after-school meetings, tutorials, and sponsorships number in the thousands and cannot be compensated due to tight budgets.

Like so many other jobs, the key to finding a good match between a teacher and a school is the ability to change location. Large districts often have a greater need for teachers no matter what their area or certification. They may be less able to rely on a supply of committed missionaries. Such districts are often in search of teachers all year long. A good way to get your foot in the door is by doing limited service work. You can build a relationship with the administration and staff. Sometimes teachers may have to work at more than one school, alternating days or traveling at lunch.

I like the way of life that teaching has to offer. And because I see it as my mission, I don't resent the extra hours of preparation that I put into my job. There are teachers at my school who do though, and they wish we had more union organization to stand up for the teachers' rights.

These teachers do not necessarily agree that teaching transcends employment. They have the right to see teaching as a contractual relationship between the district and the teacher to deliver instruction according to set criteria. They are not wrong for that point of view. It just makes it more challenging in the job market when principals evaluate their teacher applicants.

Principals are under the gun for achievement in core areas and also for restraining their budgets. Many principals gamble on young, missionary-minded candidates who are often more malleable to the programmed instructions dictated by the districts, in addition to being a lot cheaper.

When I decided I wanted to teach, I chose to get my certification in two areas that I expected to always be in high demand. The area in which I have been teaching is losing ground rapidly. The other area has gone through a fundamental change in its methods to the point where I would have to be retrained. In addition, my years of service make me expensive to a district. I can't blame the principal for operating within his or her restrictions.

Each individual has to determine his or her reasons for wanting to be a teacher and then weigh them against the realities of the teaching profession. There is no way I would do what I do just for the money. It's just not worth it. For me, the paycheck is a nice bonus on top of doing what God expects me to do. It does transcend employment.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:11 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,318,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Absolutely.

The problem for many teachers is that they see teaching as a job, rather than a mission. Those of us for whom teaching is a mission actually undermine the efforts of those who see it as a career choice.

I am choosing to teach because I believe that it is what God has chosen for me to do. My family is suffering financially because I chose to teach rather than go into industry, where I would likely be making 2-3 times my current salary. Because so many other teachers make similar choices to mine, the field of education has many over-qualified people earning less than their market value. At my school alone, there are over two dozen people who could easily be successful in the fields of medicine, law, and business. We all believe in our mission, and we have seen success, finally in our school.

Because there are many people who are willing to be underpaid for teaching, those who would chose teaching as a career and expect professional working conditions sometimes find themselves where principals can choose a less-qualified candidate who is more willing to work for free. After all, the man-hours the staff must put in on after-school meetings, tutorials, and sponsorships number in the thousands and cannot be compensated due to tight budgets.

Like so many other jobs, the key to finding a good match between a teacher and a school is the ability to change location. Large districts often have a greater need for teachers no matter what their area or certification. They may be less able to rely on a supply of committed missionaries. Such districts are often in search of teachers all year long. A good way to get your foot in the door is by doing limited service work. You can build a relationship with the administration and staff. Sometimes teachers may have to work at more than one school, alternating days or traveling at lunch.

I like the way of life that teaching has to offer. And because I see it as my mission, I don't resent the extra hours of preparation that I put into my job. There are teachers at my school who do though, and they wish we had more union organization to stand up for the teachers' rights.

These teachers do not necessarily agree that teaching transcends employment. They have the right to see teaching as a contractual relationship between the district and the teacher to deliver instruction according to set criteria. They are not wrong for that point of view. It just makes it more challenging in the job market when principals evaluate their teacher applicants.

Principals are under the gun for achievement in core areas and also for restraining their budgets. Many principals gamble on young, missionary-minded candidates who are often more malleable to the programmed instructions dictated by the districts, in addition to being a lot cheaper.

When I decided I wanted to teach, I chose to get my certification in two areas that I expected to always be in high demand. The area in which I have been teaching is losing ground rapidly. The other area has gone through a fundamental change in its methods to the point where I would have to be retrained. In addition, my years of service make me expensive to a district. I can't blame the principal for operating within his or her restrictions.

Each individual has to determine his or her reasons for wanting to be a teacher and then weigh them against the realities of the teaching profession. There is no way I would do what I do just for the money. It's just not worth it. For me, the paycheck is a nice bonus on top of doing what God expects me to do. It does transcend employment.

Yeah, what you just said so wonderfully.

Every payday I hate myself for having choosen this line of work.

Every weekend I am at the stores, garage sales, resale shops looking for that one more cool thing to share with my kids in the classroom.

I had opportunities for med school, law school, even engineering.

But I truly cannot imagine myself doing anything else.

Hopefully others will consider the idea that teaching IS MORE THAN A JOB and decide to be teachers based on love and not just summers off or "easy money."

Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

I agree but employment is necessary to teach. If you can't get the job, you don't get to teach. So far, I haven't been able to get the job. I'm stuck in a charter. To stay in teaching, I'd have to accept what is unacceptable so I won't.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:36 PM

155 posts, read 283,836 times
seems to me you were not extremely passionate about teaching in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching