Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to come up with suggestions for a career path for someone who is interested in teaching but not sure about wanting to actually follow the traditional teacher path (Bachelor's, teaching certificate, public school)...for various reasons, one being the length of time in school necessary.

So she was researching becoming a Teacher's Assistant / Aide... there's an Associate Degree program here in town for that. I don't think the pay is very good though for that kind of work but I guess it's a good way to find out if you want to go forward and become a full fledged teacher.

I thought maybe something that paid better and would still be related to what she likes about teaching would be Occupational Therapist Assistant. Also 2 years and seems to pay better and be in more demand (?), but most jobs seem to be working with geriatric populations and I don't think that's her "thing". She would like to work with teens or adults.

What else can you think of that has teaching elements that might fit the bill? She has been inspired by her own community college professors and instructors who have taken a personal interest in their students and who seem to really care about helping them succeed. Basically what's appealing is helping someone overcome difficulties and do things they didn't think they'd be able to do.

What does one need to do to teach adults? I'm thinking in terms of GED teachers, basic literacy, that sort of thing. She doesn't seem interested in heavy-medical related like nursing, MA, surgical tech, etc.

Anyone want to brainstorm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching