Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida32 View Post
Question:

1. What careers do alot of teachers pursue outside of education? Are there careers that do lend some bleed over to a teachers skills?

2. My degree is Exercise and Sport Science. I could built on that and go into physical therapy. I think there will be a need for this in the future.
I became a journalist after obtaining my credentials in education (language arts). I stayed with that for the better part of a decade before returning to education. An interesting job, but pays even less than education does as a career (and that was when the industry was more stable).

My brother's bachelor's degree is in exercise and sport science. He's a college baseball coach. He also has a master's in public administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,130 times
Maybe you should suck it up, and stick it out with teaching. It can be quite rewarding if you put some effort into it. The influence you have on kids' lives is tremendous. If you need extra cash try working the summers instead of goofing around. You might be happier if you spend less time in the teachers lounge bi***ing and moaning about how bad things are for teachers.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,494 times
What the poster never once complained about being a teacher???? You sound like the bitter one. There are lots of people who want a career change, but because this person is a teacher some how they are ungrateful lazy, goofing off moaners and complainers. What ever if you love your job good for you but don't put others down because they are ready for a change.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
I've read your post and, based on the information, am making the following suggestions. (I left teaching in the late 80s with a little less time than you). The ten or eleven year period is a good time to exit. Depending upon the individual system, you have probably recertified a few times and will most likely have to begin some of the degree programs that are peculiar to the teaching profession and possess little or no value elsewhere. Leave at this point and you are saving the time and money invested into these degrees for another career. We all know that the economy and job markets are in terrible shape. If you decide to leave, develop some tough skin ahead of time. Even in good times, many people still have the strange notion that teaching is an easy job, a higher calling, etc. Little do they know (LOL). Just be forwarned that you will hear this a lot, especially in today's economic climate. Many former teachers that I know have either gone directly into sales with an education related company or a position with their state government. The first thing I did after some temporary work was edit a small newspaper. If you decide to leave, check on the retirement you've accumluated and keep an eye on it. I waited a few years to make sure I wasn't returning and then rolled it into an IRA. I also renewed my certificate once, but that's an individual decision. If you decide to renew, pick the cheapest option available. Good luck. I've never regretted my decision to leave. Up to this point I have probably came out about the same money wise but my work life has been a lot more interesting.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Maybe you should suck it up, and stick it out with teaching. It can be quite rewarding if you put some effort into it. The influence you have on kids' lives is tremendous. If you need extra cash try working the summers instead of goofing around. You might be happier if you spend less time in the teachers lounge bi***ing and moaning about how bad things are for teachers.

I would like to know where teachers have time to spend in the "teachers lounge". The only time I spend in that room is to use the scan-tron to grade the one test I am allowed to give on a scan-sheet per month. In my school the only people who use the lounge are the custodians.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I would like to know where teachers have time to spend in the "teachers lounge". The only time I spend in that room is to use the scan-tron to grade the one test I am allowed to give on a scan-sheet per month. In my school the only people who use the lounge are the custodians.
You may be the only teacher I've ever heard of who spends less than an hour per day in the teacher's lounge. I hope your school appreciates your hard work.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
You may be the only teacher I've ever heard of who spends less than an hour per day in the teacher's lounge.
I think you are sadly misinformed. Why the hate towards teachers??

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
Quote:
You may be the only teacher I've ever heard of who spends less than an hour per day in the teacher's lounge. I hope your school appreciates your hard work.
thats not even close to true. I've taught at several schools and have never seen teachers that spend more than a few minutes in the teachers lounge to get a coffee or put something in the fridge.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
When I left the profession in 1987, we were afraid to even be seen in the teacher's lounge.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM

141 posts, read 329,960 times
Quote:
Maybe you should suck it up, and stick it out with teaching. It can be quite rewarding if you put some effort into it. The influence you have on kids' lives is tremendous.

Monkey, first of all, I agree with the beginning of your post, however; I do not agree at all with rest. I needed to be quite clear I am glad you brought up this question.

Second of all, Florida, there are teachers out there that make a huge impact on their kids. Are you one? Ask yourself, can they do without me? Then ask yourself ,can I do without them? That should tell you if you should leave. I ask that myself. I run a cafeteria. I'm not even in the classroom. But I see 500 laughing, smiling, crying, teed off kids, everyday and it brings me to life. I stay at a job I love and don't make much money doing it. I look forward to everyday because I love them and they love me. I'm almost 40 and the coolest lunch lady on the block and I love it. My kids don't love it though......jealous!!!!!

Think it through Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching