Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM

830 posts, read 2,717,189 times

Advertisements

Marylee54's saga with how mistreated her children are by their school has gone on in several other threads. Apparently their teachers do have time to pick on them all the time, accusing them of behaviors they didn't do, setting them up to fail, etc. Meanwhile, she's also posted about having to call the police because one of her children assaulted her over a cell phone. So apparently the children are well behaved victims at school, just trying to do their very best except that all the teachers are against them, but at home they're out of control delinquents.

I would guess there's more to this make-up work story than we're hearing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,433,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Hmmm..lets put it all off on me. Just what do I have to base a positive opinion on?
How about giving credit where credit is due--to your SON??? I find it very difficult to believe that every single teacher/administrator/school personnel has it in for your child and that your child is as perfect as you think. I think you need to enlist the help of an outside objective observer to watch your son and the school personnel and see what the real problem is.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,609,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think she put it all off on you. What she said is that if you are unhappy you should leave.

FWIW-teachers don't have time to single out one child and "pick on him". There are to many other things to do in the day.
You've got that right. After 3 preps and 148 students, I don't have the energy to pick on one student . Why would I give myself yet one more thing to do?

I have one mom who insists I lose her daughters papers and everyone knows I lose papers. While I have had several students come to me with missing work, it's either been found in their folders or in the ever growing pile of papers turned in with no name. Every one of them insists they turned in their work until it's found elsewhere. I had one student turn in an english assignment stapled to her physics lab report last week.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,259,350 times
I just spent a week untangling my son's attendance record, he was coded for 12 unexcused absences when he was there. They were partial absences, not the whole day, am I supposed to believe he's skipping classes? Well, turned out he wasn't, apparently it was a problem with a subtitute teacher who didn't know how to enter attendance forms correctly. That resulted in us being reported for truancy, which has later been corrected.

Also, insofar as missing assignments, what can he do but ask for them? If they refuse to give it to thim, playing a "blalme game" (who's responsible to ask, etc), well, no wonder he's hopelessle behind.

And, twice I found the teacher's website to be in error. He was sent to detention for not turning in homework on time, when it clearly stated it was due the next day on the website. Remember, we ask for assignments and are told to refer to the website, we shouldn't even be approaching them, then they can't update the website.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe my son is entirely at fault here.

What does our incident with the police over a cell phone have to do with school's inaccurate records? Once he's been caught in the wrong, he's always wrong, regardless of the circumstances? Why can't the school at least keep their own records straight, for both the "good" and "bad" students?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,609,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I just spent a week untangling my son's attendance record, he was coded for 12 unexcused absences when he was there. They were partial absences, not the whole day, am I supposed to believe he's skipping classes? Well, turned out he wasn't, apparently it was a problem with a subtitute teacher who didn't know how to enter attendance forms correctly. That resulted in us being reported for truancy, which has later been corrected.

Also, insofar as missing assignments, what can he do but ask for them? If they refuse to give it to thim, playing a "blalme game" (who's responsible to ask, etc), well, no wonder he's hopelessle behind.

And, twice I found the teacher's website to be in error. He was sent to detention for not turning in homework on time, when it clearly stated it was due the next day on the website. Remember, we ask for assignments and are told to refer to the website, we shouldn't even be approaching them, then they can't update the website.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe my son is entirely at fault here.

What does our incident with the police over a cell phone have to do with school's inaccurate records? Once he's been caught in the wrong, he's always wrong, regardless of the circumstances? Why can't the school at least keep their own records straight, for both the "good" and "bad" students?
I think you really need to homeschool again. Then you won't have so many problems with his teachers.

Obviously, this is not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching