Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Sounds like they've already made their decision but still have to offer interviews to keep it within the boundaries of fair.
Good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
Don't beat yourself up about it. Nothing irritates me more then a potential employer that won't work with you, and you haven't even started.

Any professional employer will try to meet you halfway. I always turn down interviews that say we can only see you at these times on this day.

If I get to the second round, and have a good feeling about it, I will then work around their schedule.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, I have to wonder what they were thinking.
They were thinking:

"If you want to work here then be here during this time frame for the interview"

Nothing wrong with that...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They were thinking:

"If you want to work here then be here during this time frame for the interview"

It is really hard for teachers to meet requirements like that without disregarding their students' needs. Any ethical teacher puts her students needs ahead of her own. Any ethical employer wants to hire teachers who are student centered.

IMO it is a big red flag to the OP that they would ask her to do such a thing especially so close to the end of the quarter. If they want her to interview during the school day they should at least give her a few days to arrange for sub plans and make sure that the students get a chance to finish all the work they need to finish before their midterms.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm an idiot for not dropping everything to interview, aren't I? I can't even tell my husband. He'll tell me I should have dropped everything for the interview.

I'm going to guess my chances at the job weren't good anyway. If they were that interested, they'd talk to me after school tomorrow. But still, a real job in a district with benefits and a retirement plan sounds great compared to what I have.

Yeah, what she said...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Totally unreasonable on their part! Geez!

Given it is Michigan...employers have their pick of 100s even 1000s of qualified folks who are toughing it out and trying to stay in the state.

Unfortunately, it has become an employers "Do as I ask" cause there are at least 100 others who will if you don't...

Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Given it is Michigan...employers have their pick of 100s even 1000s of qualified folks who are toughing it out and trying to stay in the state.

Unfortunately, it has become an employers "Do as I ask" cause there are at least 100 others who will if you don't...
I agree. Right or wrong, inflexible or not, it is what it is. Sad but true. I think employers are in the driver's seat for the most part.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They were thinking:

I don't know about this. Yes, interviewers have the upper hand: but calling for an interview for the very next day? That's going to mess up most people who work full time jobs, especially teachers. That might get you the kind of employee you don't want: the one who'll walk off the job at short notice to chase a better position. I would hire someone like that at my own risk.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
I don't know about this. Yes, interviewers have the upper hand: but calling for an interview for the very next day? That's going to mess up most people who work full time jobs, especially teachers. That might get you the kind of employee you don't want: the one who'll walk off the job at short notice to chase a better position. I would hire someone like that at my own risk.
Apparently, that's the kind of employee you have to be to get job in this state and it's going to get worse. The district I live in is laying off 90 teachers this week. They'll be joining me in the quest for a decent job. I'm starting to think teaching was a pipe dream. I just hope I can find my way back into engineering. It's not easy to restart a career you left.

Unfortunately, there was just no time to shift the labs we're doing this week with us so close to Christmas. I can't do half a lab before Christmas break and the other half after. While these labs should be doable in one 90 minute period, I always have stragglers who don't finish in the first session and have to set up again the next day (It's just laziness but there are enough of them that I have no other option).

What else can I do with a masters in chemical engineering and a masters in education? I need to offer something no one else has.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-17-2009 at 03:48 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Apparently, that's the kind of employee you have to be to get job in this state and it's going to get worse. The district I live in is laying off 90 teachers this week. They'll be joining me in the quest for a decent job. I'm starting to think teaching was a pipe dream. I just hope I can find my way back into engineering. It's not easy to restart a career you left.

Unfortunately, there was just no time to shift the labs we're doing this week with us so close to Christmas. I can't do half a lab before Christmas break and the other half after. While these labs should be doable in one 90 minute period, I always have stragglers who don't finish in the first session and have to set up again the next day (It's just laziness but there are enough of them that I have no other option).

What else can I do with a masters in chemical engineering and a masters in education? I need to offer something no one else has.
Teach at a community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching