Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,359,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Ahh, how I love the winter break! I just started a 16-day paid vacation. That is hard to beat.
Really? Most teachers don't get paid for the days of break, only for the days worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,370,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Really? Most teachers don't get paid for the days of break, only for the days worked.
I am on a 12-month salary schedule. I get X-amount per year over a twelve month period. I work a full month in January, two weeks in December, and none in July. All three checks will be the exact same amount. Now, we could say that I am not actually getting paid for the break and my salary might be higher I had to work those days, but my check stays the same on short-work months (and no-work months).

Twelve paychecks a year. All the same. I don't know of any educators in Arkansas who are not on the same type of schedule. I obviously can't speak for other states.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM

15,896 posts, read 21,516,266 times
Give credit where credit is due... that forward comes from the wonderful Taylor Mali- teacher and slam poet extraordinaire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpog1_NFd2Q

You might want to look through some of his other works. His poetry is wonderful.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:32 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,359,380 times
Quote:
I am on a 12-month salary schedule. I get X-amount per year over a twelve month period. I work a full month in January, two weeks in December, and none in July. All three checks will be the exact same amount. Now, we could say that I am not actually getting paid for the break and my salary might be higher I had to work those days, but my check stays the same on short-work months (and no-work months).

Twelve paychecks a year. All the same. I don't know of any educators in Arkansas who are not on the same type of schedule. I obviously can't speak for other states.
Right, I'm the same way for a 10 month contract.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,618,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I only get paid for the days I work. They do spread my pay over 24 pay periods but that's so they can keep the money in the bank longer not for my benefit. I'd rather get my pay when earned so I can collect interest instead of them but I'm not given that choice.

I WISH I was paid for my days off. I'd make 33% more than I do now. Now that would be nice.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-20-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM

305 posts, read 540,300 times
Quote:
Most administrators are on a much longer schedule than teachers. Teachers in my area are on a 190 day schedule whereas administrators are on a 260 day schedule.

260? Not if it's anything like where I teach. Maybe 230-240. For what they're getting paid they should work more (and most of them work outside of school a hell of a lot less)

Besides, I'm not talking summer. Administrators have just as much time off as teachers during winter/spring breaks (and probably slack off more than someone in charge of holiday activities)

Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was a celebration of teaching because of the lengthy Winter break educators get.
Hey- we teachers love our lengthy winter break too. All the gift cards we get from our students' families are likewise a nice bonus. Here's to a well-earned break!

Cheers to all teachers out there in city-dataville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching