Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,867,126 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to sub full-time? What parts of the country are really desperate for subs? Do any parts of the country offer health insurance to subs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,817,680 times
That is so variable. The bigger of a school district that you sub for, the likelier that you will work everyday--or sign on for several. I was subbing exclusively for spec ed last year and worked every day that I wanted to, but sped assignments aren't popular. I don't know why--I thought they were easier, but then I love sped and have my praxis tomorrow. Anyway, I've never heard of subs getting benefits. It's good to get on with one that has a computerized system like AESOP so you can plan your schedule.

Some ways to up your chances to work every day:
*Start off the day by introducing yourself and tell the kids a bit about yourself--you may as well be nice, b/c the mean subs will get run over just as much as the nice ones, sometimes worse--I saw a lady start off very authoritatively one day and I was pretty impressed at first, but then I saw her go dragging a couple of kids out by their ears and the school asked her to not come back! If the kids like you, you have a chance.
*Learn some good classroom control tactics--google some stuff.
*Don't wake up nappers or bother kids not doing the work--they know what they're supposed to be doing, and as a sub, you'll have little success in motivating them. Do inform them that you'll be leaving names for the teacher of anyone who chose to sleep, or not work, or whatever. Also, don't worry about it b/c I've seen perfectly nice kids just shut down on sub day. Again, if they like you. . .
*Leave a good detailed note for the teacher about how your day went and what you got to and what went wrong, but be sure to be more positive than negative.
*Have a bag full of worksheets and coloring sheets and alternate activities--also google sponge activities--this will save your life when the teacher leaves no plans (it happens more than it should), maybe keep a couple of VHS or DVD movies, mad libs are fun for 5th-8th grades or spec ed
*Make yourself a business card or have some printed up and leave them with teachers--a magnetized back so they can hang it on a file cabinet so they won't lose it is good. Few subs do this, and it's such an easy way to get yourself called back--if you're even halfway decent, they'll request you, b/c otherwise they can get a nasty surprise. To my amusement, some of my favorite teachers still have mine from over a year ago.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,490 times
Istarted subbing in September. Since then, I have had an assignment every day, except for the last day before Christmas break. No, I don't get benefits, but my wife is a school bus driver so I get them through her.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Is it possible to sub full-time? What parts of the country are really desperate for subs? Do any parts of the country offer health insurance to subs?

I did substitute teaching in MAdison WI in 1996-1997. Though it was not full-time everyday there were several other districts nearby and between three districts I had work everyday--75% in Madison.

I think Madison at the time offered bennies, but you had to pay for them.

They also gave sick days and were represented by the union...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 PM

972 posts, read 2,445,833 times
Where I live, NC, subbing is a great way when you are between teaching jobs to stay in the loop. Plus you get to know more about your own child's education. There is a course offered at most community colleges in NC called Substitute Effective Teacher Training. Some districts require it. It is about 20-25 hours and very benefitial, even to an experienced teacher.

Some districts are limiting new sub applicants to those with jobs or even teaching certifications. That is because so many people are signing up to sub to make money until they find a new job in their field.

I was brand new this year, since we just moved, and I worked as much as I wanted. It is always slow in the beginning until the teachers get to know you. If you show them that you can actually teach their classes and leave them caught up, you will always get more sub jobs than you may want.

There are no benefits that I know of, but that was not a concern of mine so I didn't ask. Here there is a pay scale based on qualifications. I make $91 a day as a certified teacher, which isn't bad considering I love the job and I do not have child care expenses as a result of this job.

And, I second the poster who liked subbing in the special ed classes. Those days were so incredible I am now considering switching to resource teaching.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,559,574 times
Most of our subs are certified and just hoping to get their own classrooms, certainly no desperation around here.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,182 times
Here in my district there are long-term sub positions for subs who have a teaching certificate. The regular teacher could be on extended sick leave, maternity leave, family leave, or it could be an open position waiting to be filled. Thus, it's a great way to get into a full-time teaching position.

Many schools like ours "adopt" our favorite subs that we use all the time. They even come to our staff parties! It's a great idea to latch onto a couple of schools & become a friend.

If you can become accomplished & well-known as a "great sub," many will want you! We are always looking for GREAT subs.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Most of our subs are certified and just hoping to get their own classrooms, certainly no desperation around here.
I am having trouble with districts not wanting to hire subs because of budget problems.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Here in my district there are long-term sub positions for subs who have a teaching certificate. The regular teacher could be on extended sick leave, maternity leave, family leave, or it could be an open position waiting to be filled. Thus, it's a great way to get into a full-time teaching position.

Many schools like ours "adopt" our favorite subs that we use all the time. They even come to our staff parties! It's a great idea to latch onto a couple of schools & become a friend.

If you can become accomplished & well-known as a "great sub," many will want you! We are always looking for GREAT subs.
Where do you teach?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Where do you teach?
Anchorage School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching