Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 14,834 times

Advertisements

Keep the term "return on investment" in mind before entering the highly glamorous life of adjunct teaching. I have taught adjunct English courses at the college level. The last gig I took seemed to pay a decent salary, but there was absolutely nothing in place when I took over--no course objectives or syllabus. The school gave a few books and said "go at it."
Just to read through the books (even teacher manuals) takes forever, let alone the time to create a syllabus and then revise it when things go awry, which they always do.
I would have been better off substitute teaching at a high school that particular quarter.
So make sure that you really have a passion for teaching before entering the education field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,880,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redorange35 View Post
... The last gig I took seemed to pay a decent salary, but there was absolutely nothing in place when I took over--no course objectives or syllabus. The school gave a few books and said "go at it."
Just to read through the books (even teacher manuals) takes forever, let alone the time to create a syllabus and then revise it when things go awry, which they always do....
Absolutely true. Not worth it for teaching just one quarter. Payoff is better in future quarters when all that is now done.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,374,573 times
I was an adjunct for a semester at one of the large state/public universities in Colorado. I loved the experience, though the university system as a whole seems rather bloated and disorganized. I was paid about $3,000 for the 15 week-long course. The university provided the book but I had to create a syllabus and all of the activities and lab assignments, so there was also a huge time commitment there. The best part of the deal was working with the students and sharing industry news, providing real-world examples, providing tips on finding a job in the field, etc.

I would teach the course again if I wasn't so busy with my normal day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching