Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,856,291 times

Advertisements

When high school students ask, "How will I use English Literature when I grow up? How will The Scarlet Letter or The Crucible help me in life?" What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,613,664 times
They'll be able to answer Jeopardy questions LOL. Actually I wondered the same thing when I was in HS. Thing is just having read them expands your mind, and makes you a better more rounded person. I know that's hard to explaine to HS kids, but really I'm glad I read them. I'm even glad I read Hamlet!!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,102 times
For some kids reading literature is like eating vegetables...you just have to do it. For others, they find they like it...at least somewhat. Others will even come to love it. And, just like vegetables, you don't know until you try.

If that doesn't work here's another:
Completing tasks to the best of your ability whether you like them or not, whether they will be directly useful or not....will help you in many areas of life. Do you want to graduate with decent grades? Do you want to succeed at college? Do you want to keep a job? Do you want to have a happy marriage? Then just get used to doing things even when you don't know or understand the purpose.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM

845 posts, read 2,329,169 times
Students do not determine the curriculum in this school district....................

Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM

32 posts, read 61,591 times
Tell them that having knowledge of our literature, culture, and history, is what separates the grown ups from the children.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM

845 posts, read 2,329,169 times
It will give them something to do while incarcerated.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM

549 posts, read 1,931,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris006 View Post
Tell them that having knowledge of our literature, culture, and history, is what separates the grown ups from the children.
I like your response but I would say that it separates the educated from the uneducated (I'm not saying smart vs the dumb).

As for my own response, I wasn't much of a reader. I haven't read either book and thus, can't provide the most accurate response... however, I'll give it a shot. It's literature, which means there's a story. Even if the story takes place in a different time or a different culture, the fact is there's a story. There are two things you can gain from any literature.

One is it expands their views on life. If the book was written way back when and nothing's relevant, it sheds light on what life was like back then. If it's fiction, it provides some insight on what life could be like. In essence, it helps them think outside the box.

The second is they can learn something from it. Vicarious learning is highly under-utilized. Now, the story of Romeo and Juliet (I'm sure everyone's familiar with the plot) has very little relevance to my life. I've never dated a girl that different from me (financially or in any other sense). However, I learned that dating someone that's totally out of your class will get you (and your loved one) killed (ha ha). But... you see my point, no?

Now, if someone asked me why they have to learn calculus, I'd shrug my shoulders and say, "Because Sir Isaac Newton's thought it was only fair for everyone to suffer at his own brilliance, even centuries after his death."

Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,643,682 times
Mostly, it won't. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I believe it is a valuable thing to offer, and a good thing to learn, but "use?" Pretty much not.

Common cultural currency is a good thing. Sometimes literary references come up in other situations or make for killer lines with people one is seeking to impress (for romantic or other reasons).

Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
inspiration ethics aspirations.
common body of knowledge and values shared by all americans.
sure beats pants down 9mm.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,232,168 times
Reading different types of literature is one of the best ways to expand your vocabulary and enrich your speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching