Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,439,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Don't mean to sound critical, but PE teachers have been " a dime a dozen" ever since I was in high school in the 1960's.

For many, their desire was to be a high school coach, but they wanted/needed the stability/income of a teaching certificate to make their dream job ( coaching) become a reality.
I agree. Do you have a second certification to go with your PE? Even if you could get certified to teach driver's ed that would help. I know that we have 2 drivers ed instructors that are also PE teachers that REALLY want to retire but they can't find replacements for the driver's ed side so they keep offering incentives for them to stay.

I would say that getting a special ed degree would be your best route. Unfortunately you also have 5 years of subbing going against you. When someone sees that on a resume they are going to wonder what is wrong with you-why hasn't someone else hired you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,870,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Yeah a few years back it was "Texas/NC/FL/AZ".....I dunno if there's really anywhere during this economy that's not strapped for funding and trying to cut back. It's going to be a bit tough to get going anywhere. Your best bet might actually be to stick around in Wisconsin with the district/districts that know you from subbing.
Also what you don't want to hear. Arizona no longer needs teachers. Thousands of Arizona teachers were laid off. Many, including myself, never found work. I have been looking for 8 months and am about to give up looking and just change careers. I have looked in many other states as well and no one is hiring. They say, just go to a private school. Well, private schools aren't hiring either because people can't afford tuition.

You are lucky to be subbing because many of us who have lost our teaching jobs are having a difficult time even landing a subbing position.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,307,035 times
Default Teacher jiob fairs are starting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley-magee View Post
Can anyone give me advice on what places are in need of teachers.... in particular Physical Education? I'm from Wisconsin and have been subbing for 5 years now. I'm finding myself getting a bit frustrated not being able to land a full-time job. I'd like to think this is the profession I want to do for the rest of my life but it's hard to think that when I can't get a job.......

Looks like SPRING might bring some teaching positions this year!

This is the Fayetteville NC area. From what I have heard and seen there are generally a few spots open through out the year.

Cumberland County Schools
Teacher Job Fair
Saturday, April 17, 2010
9:00 - 12:00 p.m.

Jack Britt High School
7403 Rockfish Road
Fayetteville, NC
Click the following link for a map of the area: http://www.teachers-teachers.com/r?ccsmap

Bring Resumes

No Fees/No Pre-Registration

Interview with the Principals

Openings in most Certified areas for 2010 - 2011 and beyond.
Preliminary contracts will be offered upon Principal recommendation

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,358,001 times
I know the OP is looking for Phys. Ed. positions, but here is a list of job fairs for FCPS in Northern Va. Fairfax County Public Schools-Human Resources

For 2009-2010, Critical field areas were: family and consumer sciences, mathematics, occupational therapy, physics, special education (all areas*), speech pathology, and technology education. It should be the same this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching