Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

67 posts, read 383,246 times

Advertisements

Today, I was in the car while hubby was in Walmart. There was a bright, sunshiny yellow spider on the roof with a bright red spot on it's bigger body part. It had distinct edges to the red spot. I thought about how the poisonous frogs are the bright ones, so I grabbed a cup to put over it and called hubby to hurry and rescue me.

Also, when we first moved here, our house had been vacant for about two weeks. In the kitchen were these big dead bugs - about 3 of them. Hubby said they were "some kind of cricket," but they did not look like any crickets I have seen. We saw one or two more live ones, but since we have been here, they seem to be staying away.

I also saw two praying mantises - I had never seen one before in real life. One was about 4 inches long on the roof of our car. Kinda weird for a bug to have a face, lol.

We also saw a daddy long legs that was, no exaggerating, about 4 inches wide from leg to leg. Now, I am a big bug-a-phobe, so this is taking some getting used to, lol. But so far, it is the only negative I have seen about living here, and we have been here for 3 weeks now. The plus side is I have seen 0 mosquitos and only a handful of flies, and where we were living, they were ALL over the place. So, that is a nice change.

A big positive is seeing my 14 year old now saying "maam" and "sir" when speaking to adults - we've heard him do this a few times now. Definitely not the norm where we are from, but it is nice to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 AM

33 posts, read 90,554 times
My other half was talking about when he encountered Cave Crickets when he was working for Charter Communications. Mostly in people's crawl spaces if he was putting in new cables and wiring for customers.

I'll be visiting Tennessee myself for 4 weeks in a couple of days, so I just may encounter some myself.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fntintn View Post
Also, when we first moved here, our house had been vacant for about two weeks. In the kitchen were these big dead bugs - about 3 of them. Hubby said they were "some kind of cricket," but they did not look like any crickets I have seen. We saw one or two more live ones, but since we have been here, they seem to be staying away.
Sounds like they are probably cave crickets. Big, hairy, crickets that look like they're on steroids? That's them. They're annoying, but otherwise harmless. They seem to really like crawlspaces and garages.

Quote:
We also saw a daddy long legs that was, no exaggerating, about 4 inches wide from leg to leg.
That's a pretty big one, but not uncommon. Daddy long legs are really harmless to humans as well, but they do kill other insects (at least that is what I was told since I was a boy)

Quote:
Now, I am a big bug-a-phobe, so this is taking some getting used to, lol. But so far, it is the only negative I have seen about living here, and we have been here for 3 weeks now. The plus side is I have seen 0 mosquitos and only a handful of flies, and where we were living, they were ALL over the place. So, that is a nice change.
Bugs in TN really aren't too bad when you compare it with other southern states. Especially those near the coast or in the delta (Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Florida). I've seen cockroaches in Florida that make ours look like fruit flies.

Quote:
A big positive is seeing my 14 year old now saying "maam" and "sir" when speaking to adults - we've heard him do this a few times now. Definitely not the norm where we are from, but it is nice to hear.
That's awesome!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,225 times
My daughter was bitten by this tiny little red looking worm that has 12 legs and I need to know if they are poisonous

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 63,712 times
Does TN have spickets? Half spiders (8 legs) half crickets (shiny and they jump)? Where I am from in VA, they have those, and they are terrifying.

Here in MA, the worst thing I have seen is REALLY long centipedes. ew

Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM

67 posts, read 383,246 times
oh my gosh - i have not seen those, so i really hope the answer is no! that would give me a heart attack!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamity View Post
Does TN have spickets? Half spiders (8 legs) half crickets (shiny and they jump)? Where I am from in VA, they have those, and they are terrifying.

Here in MA, the worst thing I have seen is REALLY long centipedes. ew
If it's what I'm thinking, I've heard them referred to as camel crickets. But they look exactly like you described, and they jump all over the place almost at random. They're hideous! They're all over my crawl space.

I was going to get my house sprayed but the exterminator said I might want to keep them because they eat other bugs. And sure enough, I don't have any other bugs at all, not even spiders. So I guess I'll keep them.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 35,524 times
OMG. You guys have scared the hell out of me with these bug stories... I should be moving to Clarksville area in a few months and will spend alot of time alone if / when my husband is deployed. I better start some psychotherapy so that I can handle the bugs on my own... Oh ewwwww.......

Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
Wait 'till you see an Assassin Bug! Better have a defibrillator handy . . . LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Some strange bugs of Tennessee..... Would not show them too the little ones.. Click on the Black & White images on the left panel for the sub group..... In the search box enter state

Strange bugs in East Tennessee (aliens maybe lol) - Dynastes tityus - BugGuide.Net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee