Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM

366 posts, read 493,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

It's auto repair.
Independent or a franchise?

Curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
usag, my aunt grows the triple crown variety, and they are probably at least 3 times the size of wild blackberries, wonderfully sweet, and not difficult to harvest, as they have no thorns. my grandfather, who had tamed berry vines of blackberries and raspberries, concord grapevines, a white grape (called dust grapes for some unknown reason), alberta peaches in the orchard, an apple orchard, where the apples were always referred to cooking varieties (by the way i learned how to graft from him). we also had muskadine vines and dewberry vines, in addition to a field full of strawberries. i learned how to make pear jelly and all kinds of freezer jellies, preserves, and conserves. learned to make orange and lemon marmalade, but we bought these fruits. i remember so well walking in the orchards in the early morning, while listening to the doves call to each other and watch the dew sparkle on the grape leaves, as if they were diamonds. i can smell the morning air. what wonderful memories, a wonderful time, and a time in which i learned so much about nature. you are lucky to be able to do it these days.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

366 posts, read 493,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
usag, my aunt grows the triple crown variety, and they are probably at least 3 times the size of wild blackberries, wonderfully sweet, and not difficult to harvest, as they have no thorns. my grandfather, who had tamed berry vines of blackberries and raspberries, concord grapevines, a white grape (called dust grapes for some unknown reason), alberta peaches in the orchard, an apple orchard, where the apples were always referred to cooking varieties (by the way i learned how to graft from him). we also had muskadine vines and dewberry vines, in addition to a field full of strawberries. i learned how to make pear jelly and all kinds of freezer jellies, preserves, and conserves. learned to make orange and lemon marmalade, but we bought these fruits. i remember so well walking in the orchards in the early morning, while listening to the doves call to each other and watch the dew sparkle on the grape leaves, as if they were diamonds. i can smell the morning air. what wonderful memories, a wonderful time, and a time in which i learned so much about nature. you are lucky to be able to do it these days.
You might want to consider getting your aunt a membership in NAFEX.

North American Fruit Explorers

A great groups of generous folks.

As for doing it these days, given I work a minimum of 50 hours a week and average about 63 or so it is challenging. But then I never need a sleeping pill to fall asleep as my labors bring on deep slumber : )

I think everyone, once in their life should sleep out near a plum tree when it is in full plum (and fragrance) under a full moon; you will never forget the experience.

Btw my lot is 80x120 and has a house in the center of it. You would be surprised what you can landscape in. Currants and gooseberries make very prunable low height hedges around foundations for shadier areas instead of yews. A plum tree can be very ornate, same with blueberries instead of Burning bush). Strawberries make good ground covers, especially the alpines and espaliered apples and pears are simply beautiful ornate objects that add eye appeal and charm to the landscape. Pear trees make wonderful specimen trees and at least in IL you don't have to spray them, simply plant and harvest. Grapes are of course as ornate as a plant comes.

Anyways...

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Independent all the way.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,424 times
Default Auto industry

My husband does mobile auto paint here in FL and I am wondering if you know if there is a call for that in TN. We are considering moving there, but not sure what town as we are not looking for a lot of diversity. The less the better actually. I do want good schools and low taxes and low crime, but would also like to be "left alone" as USA stated. We do not want to be told our child has to wear uniforms to school. I want him to be his own person, not blend in.

How far is Cookeville from the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area? I have seen sales tax rates from 9 1/2-12%, is that to keep the property taxes low?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigi2te View Post
My husband does mobile auto paint here in FL and I am wondering if you know if there is a call for that in TN. We are considering moving there, but not sure what town as we are not looking for a lot of diversity. The less the better actually. I do want good schools and low taxes and low crime, but would also like to be "left alone" as USA stated. We do not want to be told our child has to wear uniforms to school. I want him to be his own person, not blend in.

How far is Cookeville from the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area? I have seen sales tax rates from 9 1/2-12%, is that to keep the property taxes low?
I've never heard of mobile auto paint. We did mobile auto repair for awhile until we could find the right bricks and mortar site. It was okay, but not great. The overhead sure is low, but it is tough to work out of your home. There is something to be said for location.

Our daughter goes to Knox County schools and they do not wear uniforms.

The tax rate for food is 5.5 percent and 7 percent for everything else. However, there is a local option and most cities, towns and counties use it. But it cannot be higher than 2.75 percent.

So in other words, the highest the sales tax rate will be is 9.75. It can't be higher than that. And of course, the highest food will be taxed is 8.25 percent.

Yes, our property taxes are very low. Even with the very high sales tax, our total tax burden is 44th in the country. We generally rank anywhere from 40th to 47th each year.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Auto industry

He goes to dealerships and paints a bumper or quarter panel, door stuff like that, not the whole car and usually not a hood.

Are Knox County Schools in Knoxville? Are they good schools. Our city decided a year or two ago that the kids have to wear uniforms in public schools. I couldn't believe it, I had never heard such a thing.

When you say the tax rate for food, do you mean going to a restaurant? Or buying food at the grocery store? We have a local option with the total being 7.5%, but the taxes on our home on .8 of an acre are about $2500 a year. We lived on a dirt road up until a few months ago when the county paved it, so I know where that $2500 figure is going; up, up, up no doubt.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 AM

Knox County schools are very good. Nothing like Florida. It's why we moved here; to get out of the Florida school system.

The tax rates I quoted for food is for groceries.

We pay county and city taxes since we are in the city limits of Knoxville, so they are double. My house is 1,745 square feet and sits on almost one-half acre, five houses away from an excellent elementary school. It includes trash, bulk and refuse pickup, a discount on our home insurance, and fire protection. Our bill is about $1,300. If this same house was in the county, the bill would be half but would not come with trash pickup, etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Default wow no trash in county?

So there is no trash pick up in the county, just in the city? Would someone just have to take their trash to a dump station? And there wouldn't be fire service?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigi2te View Post
So there is no trash pick up in the county, just in the city? Would someone just have to take their trash to a dump station? And there wouldn't be fire service?
Yes, you could bring your trash to the dump station. Or you can pay a company to pick it up. Your choice.

You would pay a subscription for fire service.

Oh, and we have a bit more affordable insurance rates in the city...I forgot to throw that in there, too.

At a certain cutoff point, it becomes cheaper to live in the county. It depends on the price of your home. And of course, some people live closer to their work, etc.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee