Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM

851 posts, read 2,457,236 times

Advertisements

I guess I should have asked this question before also.

What kind of grass handles the cold weather and grows the best? Or recovers the fastest? If that's possible.
I need everyones opinion. And I don't mean the kind that people smoke either. What kind of grass is usually used in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Bermuda is the most commonly used grass by far - either common Bermuda or one of the many hybrids. Zoysia is great, but Zoysia sod is quite a bit more expensive. A Bermuda lawn can be established from seed, sod or sprigs. Zoysia can't be grown from seed. Both go dormant in the winter, but endure the hot summers well (as long as they receive reasonable care). Once estabished, Zoysia is wonderful because it's very think and tends to keep weeks from germinating.

Neither tolerates shade well at all. Fescue is probably the most commonly used for shady areas.

There really isn't a good grass that stays green all year. The cold season grasses (such as Rye) die in the heat, and the warm season grasses go dormant in the cold weather. Some folks overseed their Bermuda or Zoysia lawns in the fall with Rye so they'll have green grass year round. I perfer to take a break from mowing during the winter

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM

What do they use on the side of the roads? That kind seems to do fine in any weather.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM

375 posts, read 1,096,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
What do they use on the side of the roads? That kind seems to do fine in any weather.
That's going to depend on the soil, the season, the slope and what the sub-contractor can get cheapest but around here it's usually mostly a mix of bermuda grass, fescue, rye grass and lespedeza. I've seen erosion control mixes that had things as crazy as crabgrass in them. On purpose. A DOT mix would make for a coarse, scratchy lawn.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
I second what JoeCartpath and yaddawg said, with one exception. If you plan on installing sprinklers then a fescue will give you the best lawn; it'll green up earlier in the spring and stay green later in the fall. But if you don't water it regularly you'll lose a lot of it during the middle of summer. For minimal care stick to bermuda or Zoysia in the sun and fescue in the shade.

The grass on the side of the road looks good when whizzing past at 60mph, but it would make a horrible lawn.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
The main purpose of road ditch grass is to prevent erosion.
( and to prevent it from being taken over with weeds )

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I second what JoeCartpath and yaddawg said, with one exception. If you plan on installing sprinklers then a fescue will give you the best lawn; it'll green up earlier in the spring and stay green later in the fall. But if you don't water it regularly you'll lose a lot of it during the middle of summer. For minimal care stick to bermuda or Zoysia in the sun and fescue in the shade.

The grass on the side of the road looks good when whizzing past at 60mph, but it would make a horrible lawn.

I guess you are right, it's hard to see what it really looks like when you are driving. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 AM

To everyone that posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Try again.... Tennessee Grass Seed

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Grass is tough and it's always hard for me to figure out what to do. My backyard was magnificent in the spring and first half of the summer with the fescue mix I put in last fall. Then, yuck, terrible. But I always expect that since I don't have the time or resources to water it as it would like. My front yard has a good base of bermuda and stays green all summer as long as drought conditions don't exist. It does turn brown in winter. My point is is that it's all part of living in a temperate zone. One of those things that make the coming spring after a long cool winter is the emergence of the green. It makes seasons seasons. It's similar to the fall as the leaves turn and then fall off. The cycles of the seasons are one of the reasons I love living here. Now's the time to start thinking about your lawn for next year and not worry about the poor grass that got its little butt beaten this summer by the heat. I mowed the dust last weekend and in the next week or so will lightly till my whole back yard and put in new lime, seed and starter. Enjoy what the seasons give you. Soon whatever season it is, it will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee