Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM

21 posts, read 89,045 times

Advertisements

My son, gf, and newborn moved to Oakridge recently. Now they are out of $$ and i am footing the bills, etc. but money is running out on credit cards. Son has had no luck finding a job in the Oakridge/Knoxville area as of yet. Anyway, i plan on driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Oakridge in a week or so by myself-its cheaper than a flight and car rental. Driving-shall i try and make it thru Atlanta before stopping and where to stop for hotel/motel-safe-budget. I can't see well driving at night plus have a freeway/truck/height phobia so this trip will be a therapy in part as i will have to drive. I am an early riser. Im bringing a laptop for them hoping that will help with the job search, direct tv was set up but i have heard the internet co. they work with is garbage ? Baby needs clothes and im hoping to maybe find some great thrift shops. I also want to take time to check some areas for possible future retirement-desire seclusion and quiet but also would need to have access to medical care- Kodak, Seymour, Dandrige, Townsend ? -maybe i will like Oakridge too. I am stuck in my job in S. FL. another 5 yrs apprx. I sooo want my son, grandchild, gf to "make it" in TN. They went to Oakridge because a friend said there was work for him. Well, not true and friend is an ex now. All info.-advice appreciated ! I can stay 1.5 or 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
It's about 11-13 hr drive from Lake Worth, FL to Athens, TN. That's a long drive.
You could try Allegiant Airlines they have cheap flights on certain days (like: Monday, Wednesday & Sunday) atleast that's the days that were available when we checked. They fly out of Ft Lauderdale too. We saw something around $69.00 one way. If you can find a cheap enough flight maybe you will be able to rent a car too.
We drive the turnpike to I 75 and then right up. But I hate the drive through Atlanta but you should be fine if you live in Ft Lauderdale and drive I 95.
I hope it all works out for you and your family in TN. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 AM

I tried Allegaint, the days i would need to coincide with my job were 89.99 one way - by the time you get to the end of the reservation its closer to 300.00 round trip. Also the kids need dishes, silverware,pot n pans, towels, etc that i can give them. They have a bed and a crib in the apt. - thats it. Figured my gas will be 150.00 rt and if 2 hotel nights 120 or less I can put sandwiches in a cooler. I did not know it took that long to get past Atlanta.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Yeah, it sounds like you need to drive. Have a safe trip. It about 11-13 hrs to Athens, Tennessee from Lake Worth, FL. We are about an hour into TN. Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
We do the drive to from Fort Myers/Cape Coral to Knoxville since we still have family around there. We usually stop in Valdosta. Lots of reasonable motels there with lots of families around.

We stayed one time in Marietta, which is just north of Atlanta and that was decent, too. I don't remember the exit, but there was a college there. That was a more expensive suite, though. We didn't have much choice because our trailer let go and needed to be welded.

Oak Ridge has Comcast high-speed, but if they are using satellite I am not sure who they are using. Perhaps DSL through AT&T? You will need to find out. I use to work for Comcast. They have excellent service.

There is excellent medical care around here.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Look into a bus as in Greyhound serious !

Just did a quick search.. Fort Lauderdale >>>> Knoxville One way.... week day approx $125.00. Did not see any links too Oakridge

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 10-23-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 AM

I did check the bus, so thats 250 rt - but i need a car then - also checked the train but that was no good. They have direct tv and the internet co. they associate with is not so good i have read. Hopefully just having comcast for internet will be reasonable. They left with 6K figuring they could make it on that and a job would come up but not so. Fl. Granny's advice so far- unless you/family-your kids, etc. have someone else to foot the bills when you run out of $$$ dont move or have a job lined up first. I was behind them 100%-no jobs here and pricey-i detest it here. You have to take anything i have stressed. I sense my son is having a time adjusting from the fast paced life in S. FL - he says Mom, its unreal how nice the people are here....but its just so different ! Now i am wondering if i should just drive till i need to stop wherever that may be, i am not picky but do need a decent bed - back issues. Or should i have a plan and make a reservation. Ohhhh, i can just see the headlines now: Granny finds job at McD's !

Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemke View Post
I did check the bus, so thats 250 rt - but i need a car then - also checked the train but that was no good. They have direct tv and the internet co. they associate with is not so good i have read. Hopefully just having comcast for internet will be reasonable. They left with 6K figuring they could make it on that and a job would come up but not so. Fl. Granny's advice so far- unless you/family-your kids, etc. have someone else to foot the bills when you run out of $$$ dont move or have a job lined up first. I was behind them 100%-no jobs here and pricey-i detest it here. You have to take anything i have stressed. I sense my son is having a time adjusting from the fast paced life in S. FL - he says Mom, its unreal how nice the people are here....but its just so different ! Now i am wondering if i should just drive till i need to stop wherever that may be, i am not picky but do need a decent bed - back issues. Or should i have a plan and make a reservation. Ohhhh, i can just see the headlines now: Granny finds job at McD's !

Hello,
McDonald's have great benefits, or atleast they used to. What does your son do? What is he willing to do for work, should really be the question? Because now is not the time to be picky about a job if you need to survive. Hopefully he is really looking HARD for any type of job to put food on the table. So that he doesn't drain mom (granny) where she has to get a second job to support herself too.
That's probably going to be his hardest transition going from Ft Lauderdale to TN. If he can get over that he should be fine.
Good luck, drive safe.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM

He's willing to do anything but i dont know if he would work at MC'D'S but if your hungry enough.....He did construction deck jobs under the table in FL., has lots of sales experience and worked in Records Management for a yr. or so. He is pretty much willing to do anything, a smart kid, very adaptable. I sent out tons of resumes for him since they dont have a computer but nothing. Alot of scams out there too....he was so excited about this one place in Knoxville but it turned out to be some telemarketing scam....invest so much first-its a shame with so many out of work and all the scams out there taking advantage. Probably Floridians running scams, oh i know, i am so bad but have seen so much crap in FL.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Comcast internet without their cable service is HIGH. Who are they using now?

I originally "talked" to your son or daughter-in-law. I told them we moved on a lot less BUT it was in 2005 during an economic boom and my husband is an auto mechanic, a much-sought-after trade. However, my husband was more than willing to take a job at a convenience store and said so several times.

If they have gone through $6,000 and will not work at Mickey D's then there is a problem. I have adult children and that is what I would tell them.

We are in a recession. Knoxville has one of the best unemployment rates in the state, but when desperate, you take what you can get. For comparison, Fort Lauderdale's most recent unemployment rate is 12.8 and Knox County's is 7.6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee