Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM

14 posts, read 28,361 times

Advertisements

Would like to retire in a small to medium sized town with friendly people and small town charm and character. Low crime, affordable cost of living, and close to larger city activities. May decide to open a small business and hope to find a community that welcomes "outsiders" from Texas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
How small? Greeneville (15k) is about an hour from Knoxville. Jonesborough (er, I dunno, but I'd guess around 4k) is about ten minutes from Johnson City, an hour and a half from Asheville.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, Johnson City (65k) itself isn't bad.

That's up here in Northeast Tennessee... also lots of nice areas in the Knoxville and Chattanooga areas...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
It's hard to answer this kind of question well on the amount of information you give. It is a common problem when people ask about where to look when they want to move here and have never been here. On the whole this part of the state is relatively sparsely populated and there are many very small towns that may be too small for what you want.

Most of the cities in Tennessee (except Nashville and Memphis) feel like large towns and the suburbs around them drop off rapidly to rural. You may want to define what you think a medium or small town is as a reference for what you expect and we can probably make better recommendations. From your requirements you might want to live on the outskirts of Knoxville itself, believe it or not.

From your other post about snow and driving I would say northeastern Tennessee might not work since you are more likely to encounter occasional snows. The further south the less likely you will encounter any significant snowfall, so you want to look more closely around Knoxville and Chattanooga. That said, there are some beautiful areas up around the tri-cities region with gorgeous views.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
How small? Greeneville (15k) is about an hour from Knoxville. Jonesborough (er, I dunno, but I'd guess around 4k) is about ten minutes from Johnson City, an hour and a half from Asheville.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, Johnson City (65k) itself isn't bad.

That's up here in Northeast Tennessee... also lots of nice areas in the Knoxville and Chattanooga areas...

Hmmmm, sounds like Johnson City is about right; whereas, Knoxville would be too large.

Any information about the Johnson City area to Bristol area would be welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
You can get a ton of info doing a search or just browsing through the tri cities forum //www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-city-bristol/
Any particular questions about the area that you can't find with a search just post in the forum, and you're sure to get an answer or two there.
I've been in Bristol two years and am loving it!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,045 times
Texans aren't outsiders -- they're fellow Southerners! Welcome and Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post

Yup. When we were living in NM, one of the state electrical inspectors who was originally from Texas would stop by my office just to talk. He said I reminded him of home

Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Yup. When we were living in NM, one of the state electrical inspectors who was originally from Texas would stop by my office just to talk. He said I reminded him of home
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee