Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

Tell me about it - anyone?

We have property and a home in Bone Cave outside of Rock Island / Spencer / McMinnville and plan on leaving it to our kids. We'd like to buy property and found some we really like alot in Moss.

So, what's it like? We like the area we're in but would like to find something similar further north. Rural, no restrictions on building, friendly people, affordable.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Tell me about it - anyone?

We have property and a home in Bone Cave outside of Rock Island / Spencer / McMinnville and plan on leaving it to our kids. We'd like to buy property and found some we really like alot in Moss.

So, what's it like? We like the area we're in but would like to find something similar further north. Rural, no restrictions on building, friendly people, affordable.

Anyone?
I haven't been to Moss in years, but I can't imagine that it's changed very much. I think about the only business there is Honest Abe Log Homes (which I highly recommend if you want to build a log home). Wait, I do remember a really neat little drive-in called Porky Shake. A more heavenly combination cannot be found: great BBQ pork and a creamy butterscotch milkshake!

Anyway, Moss is a beautiful area. It's not very far from Dale Hollow Lake, but it's definitely off the beaten path. It's not too far from Red Boiling Springs, either, which is a fascinating old resort town with big old hotels with wide verandas, rocking chairs, and heavenly food served in family-style dining rooms.

Because Moss is not easily accessible (I don't even know where the nearest 4-lane road is to Moss) it'll probably remain fairly rural and unspoiled for a long, long time.

Go take a look, I hope you'll like it. I think that area of Tennessee (the northern Cumberland Plateau) is a well-kept secret.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Sounds like exactly what we're looking for. I actually did a search for land there because of Honest Abe. We'd been looking for a company that could build 5 or 6 cabins really cheap and stumbled upon them thanks to their big ol sign on the interstate. When I saw they were in N TN I checked it out. Found prices incredibly reasonable and when I talked to the girl from Honest Abe she told me a bit about it and it sounded nice. Glad you think it's nice too. We do love out of the way really rural areas!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 AM

62 posts, read 206,068 times
Is there anything in particular you would like to know about Moss? I haven't been there in a while. But I will be at my place in Byrdstown from the 21st till the 29th and probably will go through Moss and down to Red Boiling Springs and s.e to Gainesboro. So let me know, leaving Ohio Tom.@ noon. No internet connection till I get back on the 30th.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Mmmm.... I think really just what the area is like - friendly neighbors and such. The taxes are big - I don't want to get stuck building the home of my dreams just to wind up not even being able to afford the taxes on it.

How close is it to drive to grocery stores, doctors offices, hospitals, vets offices, etc.? Is it pretty?? What's the land like - mountains, hills, flat, etc.?

Just general stuff. I'll have to get up there one weekend to look around myself and make sure the property we're actually looking at is what we want,but from what I hear it sounds like it's exactly what we're looking for!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM

I can answer some of your questions. I go to Celina often, it's just east of Moss.The people are friendly. This is a very rural area. The closest bigger town would be Cookeville about 30 minutes south. You can be in Nashville in a little over an hour.Taxes are low, similar to Pickett county. The area is very scenic, no big mountains but definately not flat. You won't find many restrictions in Clay county.Lots of gravel roads, it's easy to get way off the beaten path. You'll be close to the Dale Hollow dam, and the cumberland river.Sorry don't know anything about the dr's or vets.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 9,759 times
From Moss the best area for Dr.s and groceries would be in Tompkonsville Kentucky. NO taxes on groceries and it's only about 10 minutes from Moss. Good doctors also. Don't know about vets, but everyone there has pets so it shouldn't be hard to find a good one.

Celina is about 10 min. from Moss and is pretty fair as far as shopping. One dollar store and a couple of grocery stores. No jobs, but a nice little place to live. Red Boiling Springs, about 15-20 min., from Moss, but don't grocery shop or use the doctors there! RBS has one little (Bill Martins) grocery store and the prices are outrageous! No jobs there anymore either, but a nice quiet place to live.
If you want to spend the day shopping or eating out, Cookeville would be the place to go. Nashville is getting bad for crime, illegals and gangs.

My Son has been with Honest Abe for over seven years and it's a great place to work!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My Son has been with Honest Abe for over seven years and it's a great place to work!
LOL!! Ask him if they need a good accountant!! It would be nice to work near home!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 AM

mrs1885,

Hello, well still not much happening in Moss. Honest Abe must be honest as they seem to be doing a lot of business. Looks like they have expanded since the last time I was there. There is a lot of abandoned homes around the Moss area. Several older mobile homes. Didn't see any new homes being built till we went south of Red Boiling Springs, and then there were a few. Red Boiling Springs hasn't changed either. There is a big Nestle plant just west of town. Oh and a motorcycle museum ''Cyclemos''.
There is a lot of 3-5,000 an acre land for sale all around western Clay county. It's a beutiful area.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
I will have to visit this little town someday...I really like the name of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee