Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 27,427 times

Advertisements

I've noticed several threads and posts here on CD about Floridians moving to Tennessee. If you're a former Floridian who has relocated to TN, or a current FL resident seriously thinking about going to TN, how did you choose Tennessee over other areas like the Carolinas, Kentucky or Virginia? Why do you (or did you) want to leave Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM107 View Post
I've noticed several threads and posts here on CD about Floridians moving to Tennessee. If you're a former Floridian who has relocated to TN, or a current FL resident seriously thinking about going to TN, how did you choose Tennessee over other areas like the Carolinas, Kentucky or Virginia? Why do you (or did you) want to leave Florida?
Tennessee, NC, KY, and VA are very similar in landscape and beauty. However, Tennessee doesn't get as cold as KY and VA, and, perhaps more importantly, Tennessee has a much lower tax burden than any of those states.

I happen to like Tennessee's cities more, too. And, so far, Tennessee hasn't been ruined by all those half-backs the way NC has.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM

218 posts, read 308,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Tennessee, NC, KY, and VA are very similar in landscape and beauty. However, Tennessee doesn't get as cold as KY and VA, and, perhaps more importantly, Tennessee has a much lower tax burden than any of those states.

I happen to like Tennessee's cities more, too. And, so far, Tennessee hasn't been ruined by all those half-backs the way NC has.
Interestingly enough, to accompany the lower tax burden, the state-maintained roadways are generally in better condition than those in North Carolina and Virginia. That's just my humble opinion from traveling; I haven't been west of Nashville and normally roam around Knoxville and points east.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I'm not from Florida but I would guess a lot of retired Floridians, formerly from NY and NJ, choose the east side of NC to be along the I-95 corridor and after researching a trip to Michigan can see why retired Floridians formerly from Michigan and western Ohio would choose East Tennessee to be near the I-75 corridor. As far as working people go, I don't have a clue, since you usually move to the place where your job is located.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattjohns View Post
Interestingly enough, to accompany the lower tax burden, the state-maintained roadways are generally in better condition than those in North Carolina and Virginia. That's just my humble opinion from traveling; I haven't been west of Nashville and normally roam around Knoxville and points east.
I agree with you 100%. And NC just increased their gas tax (again) to pay for badly needed road improvements. Our roads in TN are surprisingly good considering how low our taxes are.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. That's it. End of story.

We moved from Florida six years ago. I'm from the northeast and purposely moved to this area because I realized a lot of Florida escapees were moving to NC. I had enough of that mentality. The "move somewhere and complain constantly about the new place" attitude.

I like the weather best in Knoxville and Chattanooga. I like the downtown revitalization of Knoxville. Chattanooga's riverfront is beautiful but most of the changes were geared toward tourists and not its people. Job situation in Knoxville is best in the state out of all of the largest MSAs. People are super friendly. We have good schools, amazing and numerous parks...just amazing bang for our tax buck.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 27,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I like the weather best in Knoxville and Chattanooga. I like the downtown revitalization of Knoxville. Chattanooga's riverfront is beautiful but most of the changes were geared toward tourists and not its people. Job situation in Knoxville is best in the state out of all of the largest MSAs. People are super friendly. We have good schools, amazing and numerous parks...just amazing bang for our tax buck.
A lot of what you're all saying here makes sense to me; I can certainly understand why people might want to get away from the hurricanes and associated high homeowner's insurance costs in FL. But as far as Knoxville's weather, it's still going to be humid in the summer and probably (fairly) cold in the winter, since you're in the mountains, right? Didn't you all get some pretty bad storms and tornadoes in that area not long ago too?

So Knoxville's job situation is even better than that of Nashville and Memphis?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
[quote=KevinM107;20462662]A lot of what you're all saying here makes sense to me; I can certainly understand why people might want to get away from the hurricanes and associated high homeowner's insurance costs in FL. But as far as Knoxville's weather, it's still going to be humid in the summer and probably (fairly) cold in the winter, since you're in the mountains, right? Didn't you all get some pretty bad storms and tornadoes in that area not long ago too?

So Knoxville's job situation is even better than that of Nashville and Memphis?

Knoxville is not in the mountains. Yes we did get some unusual severe weather here recently. But it is a very rare thing, I think middle and west Tn. get more violent weather then East Tn. gets.
Pam

Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM107 View Post
A lot of what you're all saying here makes sense to me; I can certainly understand why people might want to get away from the hurricanes and associated high homeowner's insurance costs in FL. But as far as Knoxville's weather, it's still going to be humid in the summer and probably (fairly) cold in the winter, since you're in the mountains, right?
Is east TN cold compared to FL, yes, compared to someplace like MI, no.
You might need a warm coat and a pair of gloves to get you through a brief period of cold weather, but you won't need a snow blower, probably not even a shovel. Snow is not common.
Hot and humid, again depends on what you're comparing with. Compared to any of the Gulf Coast cities I've lived in, no, not really. It can get uncomfortable in the summer but the duration and intensity is nowhere close to a place like Houston or Mobile.

Tornado watches and warnings are pretty rare here, unlike west TN where they are just an accepted part of life during certain seasons.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM

451 posts, read 1,372,273 times
Why are so many people from FL moving to TN?

Because we have a better football team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee