Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

The problem is that if you are stopped and the money is discovered the police can confiscate the money. It is then up to you to prove the legitimacy of the money in order to get it back. Just imagine the sheer inconvenience, to say the least, of going through this hassle.

One main point that seems to be getting lost is that the TN police are targeting the money and not the drugs. While they are stopping the south/west traffic for money the drugs are free flowing in the north/east traffic. There is also an epidemic of meth labs in Tennessee but there is little money in shutting them down. It looks like the Tennessee police are treating this more like a business venture than a law enforcement operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Not a Tennessee thing as was immediately pointed out to you. Since you have some sort of vendetta against the state you ignored this and carried on.

Policing for profit
Civil forfeiture laws: rating by state
Al- D
AK- D+
AZ- D
AR- D
CA- D
CO- C
CT- C+
DE- C
FL- D
GA-D-
HI- D
ID- C
IL- D
IN- C+
IA- D
KS- D
KY- D
LA- C-
ME- A-
MD- C+
MA- D
MI- D-
MN- c
MS- D+
MO- C+
MT- D+
NE- C
NV- D+
NH- D+
NJ- D
NM- D+
NY- D
NC- C+
ND- D
OH- C-
OK- D
OR- C+
PA- D
RI- C-
SC- D+
SD- C
TN- D
TX- D-
UT- C-
VT- B
VA- D-
WA- D
WV- D-
WI- C
WY- C

Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM

672 posts, read 810,957 times
I understand what supporters are stating but I am worried that this type of policing for profit would happen in Tennessee or any state if you are simply allowed to seize without cause other than being in possession of large sums of cash.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 AM

672 posts, read 810,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Not a Tennessee thing as was immediately pointed out to you. Since you have some sort of vendetta against the state you ignored this and carried on.

Policing for profit
Civil forfeiture laws: rating by state
Al- D
AK- D+
AZ- D
AR- D
CA- D
CO- C
CT- C+
DE- C
FL- D
GA-D-
HI- D
ID- C
IL- D
IN- C+
IA- D
KS- D
KY- D
LA- C-
ME- A-
MD- C+
MA- D
MI- D-
MN- c
MS- D+
MO- C+
MT- D+
NE- C
NV- D+
NH- D+
NJ- D
NM- D+
NY- D
NC- C+
ND- D
OH- C-
OK- D
OR- C+
PA- D
RI- C-
SC- D+
SD- C
TN- D
TX- D-
UT- C-
VT- B
VA- D-
WA- D
WV- D-
WI- C
WY- C
I don't see it as he is picking on TN but wanting better for the state. Just because there are similar laws in other states doesn't mean you can't hope for a better rating for TN.

Having discussions on concerns is a positive thing.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There are many times when people will accept cash only. I remember a friend of mine bought a restored antique car for $12k cash and he had to drive through several states to pick it up. Good thing he didn't have to go through Tennessee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
I don't see it as he is picking on TN but wanting better for the state. Just because there are similar laws in other states doesn't mean you can't hope for a better rating for TN.

Having discussions on concerns is a positive thing.
That post makes it sound like TN is the only place where he could have trouble. In fact, if taken on face value it makes it seem like the money had a very good chance of being seized in this state.

Take a look at how many posts I have on City-Data. Clearly I think dialog is great. But some posters have a track record of ranting about where they live. It's sometimes a good idea to look at previous posts from others to see trends.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
hiknapster,

The original post included a video about Tennessee and I keep trying to bring the post back to the topic.
You want to throw up a smoke screen and I have no idea why. Do you feel the need to defend the state of Tennessee? Or should we all poke our heads in the sand and not acknowledge the facts? If you want to post a similar subject about other states then why don't you post it under those state's forum? In the meantime I will continue to post articles that I consider factually news worthy or discussion worthy. You do realize that you don't have to read them.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,716 times
Watch this video. Especially toward the end where you have two Tn officers fighting over who was there first when they pulled someone over.

Tennessee Police Profiting Off Drug Trade - YouTube

This is just ridiculous. Yes; Tennessee isn't the only state doing this. But it was on our local news channel for awhile talking about it. Our local news station was flying over and videoing the cops going down the interstate. They said they had cause to pull over a couple drivers because they were weaving. Not a one on the video was weaving but got pulled over.

Now; I'm all for stopping the drugs. But when it's just about the money and not trying to get the drugs; that's where I have a problem.

Also; I travel with large sums of cash because I go to Estate Sales. They only take cash. My 72 year old mother also travels all over to Estate Sales and she carries cash. Whether it's here in TN or another State; this is just wrong. But the way TN is handling it is where I have a problem.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM

TN is not doing it any differently. I guess it doesn't make anyone's case to click on the link that we provided but it proves that most states are flunking. Kudos to Maine and Vermont but the rest are deplorable.

Asset Forfeiture Report | The Institute for Justice

Policing for Profit - The Abuse of Civil Asset Forfeiture - YouTube

This is just one of a long line of gripes about this state that is a problem in most states. This is not Tennessee-specific and belongs on another part of the forum.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
TN is not doing it any differently. I guess it doesn't make anyone's case to click on the link that we provided but it proves that most states are flunking.
A D isn't flunking, it's passing with style.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Update on this issue from Nashville:
Policing for Profit

And yes, I know this is a country-side problem directly related to the asinine "war on drugs", but this particular incident occurred in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: