Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaky View Post
Strict ordinances means control the number of unwanted, abused, neglected dogs and cats rather than killing thousands of them in local shelters. I don't know how that restricts anyone's freedoms.
Strict ordinances means the gov. controls or can control the number of animals you may keep directly or indirectly thru paying fees and insurance on each animal. It leads to breed bans. Mandates the type and size of housing you provide and dictates any reproduction.

Im all for humane treatment, sterilization and responsible ownership, but strict gov. ordinances have a way of growing and spreading with no flexibility. People have very different ideas of just how strict regulations should be. Many who have been in TN for generations still consider dogs and cats as animals. We depend on them to guard our livestock and property, keep predators and rodents away and for hunting. For some not accustomed to this type of life seeing pens containing 12 coon hounds, not neutering that 2500 dollar hunting dog, having cats living in the barn, a Pyrenees living in the field with goats, killing chickens, etc. might seem like abuse. For some having to pay a yearly license fee, being forced to get unnecessary vaccinations, neutering might be the difference in them taking in one animal or several. We have already been fighting pit bull bans and people have had to have their animals put down or try to find them a home because of these laws. This is how we loose freedoms. A little bit at a time.
If these breed bans (aka strict ordinances and regulations) pass in my area I will have to euthanize 3 of my dogs. If we had a yearly license fee I would not have taken in my last dog that was headed to the pound or the last cat that was in a box in front of the store.

It is sad to see animal abuse and it happens everywhere but I believe education and access to afordable spay/neuter facilities will do more to keep down the unwanted populations. Id rather have tax $ spent there than hiring control officers and administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM

230 posts, read 553,295 times
lol. Knock yourself out. //www.city-data.com/forum/san-francisco/

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I don't get it. Are you suggesting Ca. to the OP or 2 mares?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Here in Carter County outside Elizabethton we have never had a problem with stray animals. I don't know if this is due to ordinances or to responsible pet owners. But I don't need a government bureaucrat telling me what to do with my pets.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 03-10-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default Looking to move to Tn. but concerned about animal ordinances and enforcement

The State has such laws, but I don't know how well they're enforced, although I am aware of several instances where action was taken. What we don't have are enforceable laws against unconsciousable people who allow their Dogs and Cats to roam over other people's property chasing livestock, killing just born Calves, attacking people etc. Dogs have a tendency to pack up and can be very dangerous to kids and even adults as we have experienced locally. Pet owners somehow feel that their animals should have the right to do as they please on other people's land. Keeping your animals on your own property will essentially guarantee that no one harms them.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
The State has such laws, but I don't know how well they're enforced, although I am aware of several instances where action was taken. What we don't have are enforceable laws against unconsciousable people who allow their Dogs and Cats to roam over other people's property chasing livestock, killing just born Calves, attacking people etc. Dogs have a tendency to pack up and can be very dangerous to kids and even adults as we have experienced locally. Pet owners somehow feel that their animals should have the right to do as they please on other people's land. Keeping your animals on your own property will essentially guarantee that no one harms them.

Well... those of us who own those animals that are menaced by 'pets' have a law. It's enforced as well. We refer to it as SSS.
It's only too bad we can't enact it on the owners instead.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,455 times
What's SSS stand for? I just moved to East TN from a big city in Florida. We live on a mountain with the closest home at least 1/2 mile away, probably further. We were so excited at the prospect of being able to let our 4 cats, all rescues (and, yep, definitely fixed), outside. No such luck. The neighbors, on BOTH sides of us, in spite of living so far away, both have dogs that roam free and roam into our land.

We've been visited a number of times in 1+ years we've been here. We've been barked at, had to watched a dog pick up and shake a squirrel just for fun (I ran out and, I'm sure, sounded like hell on legs to scare him off - he dropped it but the lower half of its body it couldn't move. I brought it into a sheltered area, gave it water and made it comfortable but it died in just a couple of hours. I knew it would but couldn't not try), had to watch a dog jump up and swipe two birds nests from the corner of our back porch hangover and kill one of them (happened at 5am and I wasn't awake enough to realize what was happening until it was too late). That same dog, I think, returned recently to kill a rabbit outside that back door, just for fun, didn't eat it. That particular dog is part of a pack whose owner hunts raccoon at night so apparently after their 'fun' he lets his dogs roam right up here. It really sucks.

I would never allow my dogs to roam onto other people's property. We'll have chickens and goats in the future. What then (a fence, yes, but will they still be able to get in?) I love animals so how can I or my man shoot a dog that's trespassing? We can't. Can't fence in the whole property, it's too large.

Anyway, that's my situation. Needless to say, our cats can never go outside, in spite of having soo much land, because our neighbors are so inconsiderate. TN *is* beautiful but too many of the people here have a LONG way to go when it comes to how they feel about and treat animals, to be sure!!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

BTW if you were to let your rescue cats roam your property chances are they would indulge in the same type of 'play' with smaller animals, birds and such, that the neighbors dogs do. That's just an animals nature.

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-24-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

BTW if you were to let your rescue cats roam your property chances are they would indulge in the same type of 'play' with smaller animals, birds and such, that the neighbors dogs do. That's just an animals nature.
I was thinking the same exact thing. But I bet it wouldn't be a issue then though.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
That particular dog is part of a pack whose owner hunts raccoon at night so apparently after their 'fun' he lets his dogs roam right up here. It really sucks.
Im surprised that a coon hunter would let his dog roam like that. Many of those dogs are worth a lot of money and if left to run they can cover lots of ground and get lost. I have personally found and returned several hounds to their owners. Have you spoke to the owner about his dog? First thing I would do is talk to him/her. If the problem continues, threaten to shot the dog. You dont have to shoot to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee