Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM

38 posts, read 190,516 times

Advertisements

I have compiled my own list of negatives and positives of TN's major cities 1-7. The Tri-cities have been excluded because I have never been there and two they are truly three cities in one.

1.Memphis

Positives
- Superb attractions
- Best transit system
- The Mississippi River
- Nightlife second to New Orleans
-Recording Industry
- Stable economy

Negatives
- Crime
- Blacks vs Whites mentality
- Below average skyline for a city it's size

2. Nashville

Positives
- Continuous relocation and expansion of business
- Health care
- Recording Industry
- Quality of Life
- Like Memphis, is making the leap from American City to World Class City

Negatives
- Still out shined by Charlotte and Atlanta
- Recording Industry still based on Country Music
- Construction tie-ups
- The buckle and last notch on the bible belt

3. Knoxville

Positives
- University of TN
- Beautiful layout and landscape
- Job growth/ Stable Economy
- Proximity to Attractions

Negatives
- slow population growth
- mediocre skyline
- average interstate system
- lack of diversity

4. Chattanooga

Positives
- Attractions, attractions, attractions
- Family Friendly Environment
- Green-Friendly
- Outstanding Revitalization

Negatives
- Attractions, attractions, attractions
- economy lacks diversity
- mediocre skyline
- underdeveloped interstate system
- continued population loss

5. Clarksville

Positives
- Heavily forested
- Cumberland River
- Military town/safe/laid back
- Large tracts of land screaming for development
- A mid size city that just never stops growing

Negatives
- Still out shined by Franklin and Murfreesboro
- Blue-collar reputation
- Sink holes prevent high rises from happening
- Crime/ Police Brutality

6. Murfreesboro

Positives
- Quality of life
- diverse economy
- has grown up a lot over the years
- MTSU
- Shopping
- Uses Nashville to its advantage

Negatives
- Still depends on Nashville for Entertainment
- Growing too fast
- Mid size city, suburban development patterns
- Road network is terribly behind for the population
- Never ending construction
- Poor skyline

6. Jackson

Positives
- Business friendly
- second economic hub for West TN
- Stable economy
- Small-town feel, big city amenities
- Can stand on its own two feet

Negatives
- Small-town feel
- Underdeveloped road network

7. Franklin

Positives
- Upscale/White Collar
- Pretty layout and scenery
- Small-town charm, big city amenities
- Can stand alone, even if it is considered a suburb of Nashville
- Shopping, shopping, did I say shopping?
- Thinks like a much larger city

Negatives
- Suburban development
- Sprawl
- Lack of diversity (people)
- Will never escape being Nashville's right arm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 PM

79 posts, read 281,973 times
Knoxville has slow population growth? Maybe the city center but not in Knox County.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,477,449 times
8. Johnson City

Positives
- Great mountain views
- Good location close to larger cities like Asheville, NC & Knoxville
- A lot of outdoor recreation available nearby
- Safe for a city its size
- ETSU

Negatives
- Lack of character in restaurants (i.e. lots of chains)
- Downtown area is an eyesore and not a great part of town
- Job market/wages

Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
I don't have an problem with your list in general, Hector. These are the things you find important and how you see each of the cities on your list. I might argue about a few of your points, but that's not important.

Your list is a very personal one however (subjective rather than objective). If I were making a similar list it probably wouldn't look anything like yours. Some of your postives might even be my negatives and vice versa. For example, for many Nashvillians the last thing in the world they want is for Nashville to become like Atlanta (no offense meant to Atlanta--my brother lives there and loves it). And I don't really care if Nashville become a "World Class City" like Miami, or Los Angles, or Detroit, or Pittsburgh . . . I'd much rather have a city that's a great place to live.

Just my 2-cents worth. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your list; just possibly your post heading.

Last edited by alleycat; 09-14-2007 at 11:06 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I don't have an problem with your list in general, Hector. These are the things you find important and how you see each of the cities on your list. I might argue about a few of your points, but that's not important.

Your list is a very personal one however (subjective rather than objective). If I were making a similar list it probably wouldn't look anything like yours. Some of your postives might even be my negatives and vice versa. For example, for many Nashvillians the last thing in the world they want is for Nashville to become like Atlanta (no offense meant to Atlanta--my brother lives there and loves it). And I don't really care if Nashville become a "World Class City" like Miami, or Los Angles, or Detroit, or Pittsburgh . . . I'd much rather have a city that's a great place to live.

Just my 2-cents worth. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your list; just possibly your post heading.
I appreciate your response alleycat. I assume you chose Nashville as your favorite from the list. You have misunderstood one of my negative comments for Nashville, however. I never said Nashville should become like Atlanta nor Charlotte, it gets outshined by them. The type of development patterns, shopping, growth, job growth have taken hold of these cities a while ago. Nashville is only beginning to see this type of development.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorector View Post
I appreciate your response alleycat. I assume you chose Nashville as your favorite from the list. You have misunderstood one of my negative comments for Nashville, however. I never said Nashville should become like Atlanta nor Charlotte, it gets outshined by them. The type of development patterns, shopping, growth, job growth have taken hold of these cities a while ago. Nashville is only beginning to see this type of development.
No, I didn't choose anything from your list. I just happen to live in Nashville.

I was just saying that what qualifies to make one city "outshine" another is in the eye of the beholder. For example, while Charlotte seems to be a city I would enjoy, personally, I don't want the "development pattens . . . growth . . . " that has taken place in Atlanta (and I've lived in Atlanta for a few months). For you, however, the factors that a bigger city offers are probably more important (shopping, nightlife, impressive skyline). For example, someone else might choose to have a Trader Joe's and Neiman-Marcus . . . for me, I'd rather have a new park or a new walking trail. So when you say one city "outshines" another, it needs to be at least implied that it based on a personal list of criteria. That's all I was saying. Again, I'm not arguing with your personal choices.

I'm glad places are different. I would hate for everyplace to become like Nashville just as much as I would hate for everyplace to become New York City. Some people live in small towns and can't wait to move to the "big city"; some people live in big cities and can't wait to move to a small town. Both are right.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No, I didn't choose anything from your list. I just happen to live in Nashville.

I was just saying that what qualifies to make one city "outshine" another is in the eye of the beholder. For example, while Charlotte seems to be a city I would enjoy, personally, I don't want the "development pattens . . . growth . . . " that has taken place in Atlanta (and I've lived in Atlanta for a few months). For you, however, the factors that a bigger city offers are probably more important (shopping, nightlife, impressive skyline). For example, someone else might choose to have a Trader Joe's and Neiman-Marcus . . . for me, I'd rather have a new park or a new walking trail. So when you say one city "outshines" another, it needs to be at least implied that it based on a personal list of criteria. That's all I was saying. Again, I'm not arguing with your personal choices.

I'm glad places are different. I would hate for everyplace to become like Nashville just as much as I would hate for everyplace to become New York City. Some people live in small towns and can't wait to move to the "big city"; some people live in big cities and can't wait to move to a small town. Both are right.
Amen, alleycat.

In addition, I take offense that being "The buckle and last notch on the bible belt" is somehow a negative for Nashville. I, and thousands of others, consider that a definite positive thing.

I also question how Charlotte and Atlanta are "out shining" Nashville. If the OP means bank headquarters and out-of-control growth, yes. But for tourism, education, and health care, Nashville wins hands-down. I've lived and travelled extensively around the world, and I can assure you that Nashville is much more famous than Charlotte and Atlanta, even after the '96 Olympics.

And to the OP: Knoxville's growing faster than Memphis.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Amen, alleycat.
I've lived and travelled extensively around the world, and I can assure you that Nashville is much more famous than Charlotte and Atlanta, even after the '96 Olympics.
Nashville is more famous around the world than Atlanta? Since when?

[/quote]
And to the OP: Knoxville's growing faster than Memphis.[/quote]

This is very true, everytime I go to Knoxville something new is happening. I have relatives and friends there.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:38 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorector View Post
Nashville is more famous around the world than Atlanta? Since when?
I've lived in Belgium, France, the Philippines, and China. I've visited over 30 other counties. Of the people I talked to in those places, I can assure you that more of them had heard of Nashville than Atlanta. The Olympics did increase Atlanta's stature, but Nashville had the head start thanks to its role in American music. Believe it or not, even many French singers have homes in Nashville. Johnny Hallyday has a song called "Quelque chose du Tennessee", and I have a magazine article where Eddie Mitchell said that Nashville is his favorite city in the world.

Likewise, Memphis was more well-known than Atlanta, thanks largely to Elvis.

I hardly met anyone who had ever heard of Charlotte. Since part of my area of expertise is cultural geography, believe me I was curious to find out what American cities are famous in other countries.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
Smile Tn Reasonable Place To Live, Grow A Family?

Hi. We really enjoyed your insight on the cities in TN. We've always heard how beautiful the state is. We are from southern NJ and would like to escape to somewhere cheaper to live...yet not sacrifice great schools or beautiful beaches and culture.

Our property taxes are reaching close to $7000/yr for our 2100 sq.ft. 1 acre home. We are guessing Knoxville and Franklin may be our best bets for a nice relocation.

We really could go anywhere within 30 mins. of a Home Depot, where we both are employed. What are the homes selling for in these areas? We do prefer larger lots and more privacy, yet not so isloated from the world. My husband loves to fish...so being close to a lake would be nice. Any suggestions for us?

We were also considering S.Carolina, Georgia and Texas...but just not sure where the best places are for the money..great schools etc.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee