Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,847 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to start a horse ranch of some sort. Does anyone here reccomend a certain breed to buy and begin breeding? I am not looking to drive business away from any local breeders. Therefore I was trying to find resources on local breeders and what breeds are available, to determine what breed(s) I wanted to begin with, not to clash with any local breeders...

Thanks for your posts in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:00 PM

25 posts, read 139,838 times
Generally people breed the type of horses that they ride. Most successful breeders are well known in the horse show world and have worked with horses much of their life. Breeding horses is very expensive and labor intensive and without the right connections it's nearly impossible to make money at it. If you've never "been into" horses before, I'd suggest that you buy one, get out and show it--either yourself or your trainer, then consider if you want to get into breeding. Tennessee is certainly a great place to have horses.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUinTN View Post
Generally people breed the type of horses that they ride. Most successful breeders are well known in the horse show world and have worked with horses much of their life. Breeding horses is very expensive and labor intensive and without the right connections it's nearly impossible to make money at it. If you've never "been into" horses before, I'd suggest that you buy one, get out and show it--either yourself or your trainer, then consider if you want to get into breeding. Tennessee is certainly a great place to have horses.
Ditto!
I've had horses all of my life and I would not even attempt to become a breeder. Breeders (of any animal) should do it for the improvement of the breed, not to just make a buck. Unless you have huge amounts of money, breeding is not for a beginner.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
The horse world is a very small and very tight one. You have to earn respect in the horse business. You do this by being in the equestrian and horse community over time and proving your ethics and your knowledge. The people I know in the horse business have been in it for years and apprenticed under someone that is well respected.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
If was doing something like this, and didn't have any experience, I would at first associate with a well-known and reputable breeder out-of-state (someone who doesn't already do business in Tennessee). And one who breeds one of the more common types of horses such as the American Saddlebred (or possibly in Tennesee, one who breeds Tennessee Walking Horses). I would offer to take a few of the breeder's horses and try to sell them locally. In other words, I would become a "horse dealer" at first. If that worked out, and I found I could make a go of it, I would continue to grow my business, build my reputation, and slowly get into breeding myself.

Just a thought.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 AM

65 posts, read 371,242 times
I whole heartedley agree w/ the previous posts. But I will add, with the drought in the SE, the cost of hay has soared, if you can find it! Feed has gone up about approx. 30%. We have AQHA horses one a wellbred stallion and three very nice mares -- we do not breed currently, as there is simply a glut of horses on the market and not enough good homes! We do stand our stallion to outside mares and have breed about several over the years. In 2004 we breed one of our mares and got a very nice 2005 colt, that we are now training to ride, we plan to keep him for trail riding and cow work. Even w/ owning the stallion and mare, our vet bills far exceeded the amount we could have sold "Cotton" for as he was "dismature", about a week early and had contracted tendons. Vet attributed physical problems possibly to the hurricanes in 2004 while he was in utero, and all our horses evaced. to Georgia. He has turned out to be a very stout, smart, and a beautiful 2 year old, but it took lots of horse knowledge, lots of physical work, lots of us doing the vet work, based on vet orders and leaving lots of meds for us to administer. This is just not a hobby/business for beginers. Forty years of experience w/ horses has taught me that we never know it all when it comes to horses, there is always something new coming down the pike!

Please really study the horse industry and get lots of info from horse owners that do the hands on work, not just the elite that can pay for stable help, they just pay the bills and don't know what it is like to stay up all night w/ a colicky horse, or have to bottle feed a baby every two hours! Truly exhausting!

Best wishes on your choice of endeavors!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
And whatever you do, DO NOT put a horse fenced in with barbed wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee