Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,614 times

Advertisements

I found a phone number on a church site of the man I want to interview as a builder.
I called the number, left a message with my return phone number.

I did not get to the phone in time. I called the number back and a woman said "Hunny, this is not the number the Tollett's have anymore but I just put the phone book away. Let me get it and look up that number for you".

Oh my gosh here where I live, that would NEVER happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,658,579 times
That's how we roll down here

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
I found a phone number on a church site of the man I want to interview as a builder.

I did not get to the phone in time. I called the number back and a woman said "Hunny, this is not the number the Tollett's have anymore but I just put the phone book away. Let me get it and look up that number for you".

I am tellin you man......i lived up in Nashville before and am a Floridian and while in Florida i have lived in Lake City, Tallahassee, Miami, Carol City, Hialeah, Hallandale, Deltona, Altamonte Springs, Azelea Park, and Orlando......and ive been trying to tell people on the Florida forums how blind they are for believing there isnt a rude and agressive nature to people in Florida......and ive told them that Tennessee is how i compare things and know that something is wrong with alot of Florida's population......regarding rudeness and coldness in public or in traffic or on the phone.....when i was living in Nashville there was the bad areas like here in Florida but overall the people are alot more respectfull and kind in nature....they wait at 4 way stops in traffic, they hold doors open for the person behind them, and they dont honk at people before the light actually turns green at the stop lights......I love Tennessee and the comment above that said, "That's how we roll".....LOL.....nice.....ill give some rep for someone promoting doing the right thing by having manners and kindness in the world......thank you

Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post

That is how it is here in Maine. And, one reason why we picked TN as our future homestate. The people are so similiar in values.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,805,379 times
Amen to that with most people here in SW PA. If you find someone rude, then I've found, they're not from here. We're down-home friendly, and that's just another reason to move to TN. I used to think people were the same everywhere - but found out they're not.

Give me Down Home Friendly Folk anytime!

You know, I think that's just one of the many great traits of we Appalachian Folk, both north and south Appalachia.

blessings, Shen

Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,235 times
Well said Shen.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Arrow A kind soul..why I want to move

Amen!!!.............. That was nice

Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I agree with every one of these posts.

I talked to a native Tennessean today. She says, "I can tell by your accent that you are not from here." (Tennessean translation: I want to know more about you. I'd love to strike up a conversation. Let's talk!)

I say that I am from Massachusetts.

She says she lived in Massachusetts for awhile. She just loved New Englanders. She felt like she fit right in.

She said both cultures are friendly. She said both cultures have a great sense of humor. She said both cultures are direct and to the point.

She said it is no surprise that I fit in so well here.

Maybe it is those darn Appalachia mountains.

RobbieD. I've worked in customer service for a long time. It can be a horrible job, but for the most part, it is a pleasure to assist customers in Tennessee.

What you experienced is what I deal with everyday.

Someone once said in the Florida forum that it didn't matter if people are polite or friendly. At the end of the day, we all have to work, we all have to drive, we all have to eat, we all have to sleep, who cares if people are rude. I can't disagree with this enough. The difference is drudgery or contentment.

And yes, that is how we roll here, every dang day.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Thumbs up Great posts all of you.

I agree with all of these posts, as well. We have all had some wonderful experiences of good, kind, well-meaning down home folks in Tennessee.

Being Applachian born and raised in the mts. of PA, I have to agree with Shenendoah. I think there is something special about mt. people who know how to fiend for themselves, but know they have neighbors and friends that they can always count on, too. They take care of one anothers' needs without complaint and without expecting anything in return, because that's the way it is!

Hiknapster, you are in a great position to make those comparisons yourself having been in a place like MA where folks do show concern for one another (lived there myself), and lived in FL where we hear lots of testimony even from life-long residents about some questionable attitudes, and now in TN where you get to experience the best of the best. I am so glad that you have a job that is usually pretty tough, yet you find it a pleasure because of the culture you deal with.

You won't be let down or left to flounder in E. TN, that's for sure. And, the nicest part is that even if you aren't originally from TN, that attitude has to rub off on you. Aren't we lucky?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,685,630 times
I like rolling with y'all Tennessee homeys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee