Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
Didn't some church in Cookeville recently have one of their signs stolen because it promoted muslim ?

edit: News Story

also, according to the census.. Putnam County is 95.9% white and 1.9% black.
Did you not read the article you posted? Or not read the thread about it a few days back? The sign was stolen from the courthouse lawn, not from a church. The woman who put the sign there was trying to be antagonistic.

Now, explain how a town that is overwhelmingly white (and remember, many Hispanics refer to themselves as Caucasian) means that it's racist? Are you implying that when a bunch of white people get together, they're automatically going to be racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Are you implying that when a bunch of white people get together, they're automatically going to be racist?
From my experiences in " small town " Tennessee, yes.

I guess that you'll defend Pulaski next ?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
From my experiences in " small town " Tennessee, yes.

I guess that you'll defend Pulaski next ?

Your experiences are apparently very limited. And claiming that a town that's almost all Caucasian must mean that it's full of racists is in itself racial slander.

Besides, the original post asked about racism in Cookeville, not Pulaski. If you want to complain about racism in Pulaski, start a new thread.

Last edited by JMT; 10-02-2007 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Your experiences are apparently very limited. And claiming that a town that's almost all Caucasian must mean that it's full of racists is in itself racial slander.

Besides, the original post asked about racism in Cookeville, not Pulaski. If you want to complain about racism in Pulaski, start a new thread.
Thanks, I didn't expect anything less.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 116,262 times
Quote:
Cookeville is still overwhelmingly anglophone, but the university does have a rather large ESL program, and the community seems to embrace its many foreign students. I just wish there was a good Indian restaurant in town!
I have Indian roots so maybe I should try and get some tried and tested recipes! I have lived in the UK for over 20 years, and am too anglicized unfortunately. If I ever get tired of my medical profession,I know what to do in Cookeville

Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taniaxx View Post
I have Indian roots so maybe I should try and get some tried and tested recipes! I have lived in the UK for over 20 years, and am too anglicized unfortunately. If I ever get tired of my medical profession,I know what to do in Cookeville
DO IT!!!! Here in Knoxville, a metro area with over 700,000 people, we have only two Indian restaurants. I make good use of both of them! I bet an Indian restaurant in Cookeville would be VERY popular. Everyone I know who's tried it just loves it.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
DO IT!!!! Here in Knoxville, a metro area with over 700,000 people, we have only two Indian restaurants. I make good use of both of them! I bet an Indian restaurant in Cookeville would be VERY popular. Everyone I know who's tried it just loves it.
If you get back to Nashville, there's a place over in Hillsboro Village that I liked. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it offhand . . . it's like four or five doors west of Bongo Java's. It's been a year or so since I was there. Of course, with the way restaurants open and close it may not even be there anymore.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 116,262 times
LOL! My curry culinary skills are really apalling.
Time to take up cookery lessons
And find a part time job in a restaurant to get an insiders view of how it all works!
I must stop hijacking threads, this is so off topic-apologies vish69.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
I dont live in Cookeville, but went to TTU and have worked here for a long time. There are many Indian families living here not just students. Unfortunately you will always have the occasional ignorant racist anywhere you go, but Cookeville and even smaller surrounding towns (futuretexan) are very open to all races and cultures. The old sterotype portraying small town southerners as sheet wearing, cross burning hatemongers is not accurate. We are really a friendly bunch.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljse View Post
Hey yall i am from alabama and i have kin in pulaski and its a great place much like where im from. So take it easy on old pulaski and dont talk about a town that you probably know nothing about. All you know is that the kkk was started there a long long time ago, but the truth is that the klan was much worse in bama and mississippi than it ever was in any part of tennessee including pulaski.
I think, eventually, that the KKK headquarters were in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee