Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM

59 posts, read 188,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxBrian View Post
What does Publix have that Kroger or Food City does not, other than a nicer deli area and higher prices? I used to shop there when living in Orlando and Atlanta and found it to be extremely expensive in comparison w/ the competition.
Most Food City stores are much, much smaller than Publix stores. All the new Food Citys have the same tiny footprint. In the Knoxville area, only those they bought from Bi-Lo and Food Lion are bigger. In my opinion, Food City is very expensive, especially when they are the only game in town. Kroger is hardly cheap.

Publix does not have the detestable "bonus" cards, which most of the major grocery chains use to track your purchases, while penalizing you with jacked up prices if you dare not to cave in to their odious practice. In fact, the only two major grocers that don't have them that I can think of are Wallys and Publix.

And Publix is the only grocery store I have ever seen anywhere with a sign outside proclaiming, "Sushi, Made Fresh Daily." Where else can you shop for food and bait at the same time?

I can't wait for their march northward from Chattanooga to the Knoxville area. Once that happens, Kroger's and Food City will not get another cent of our food budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

65 posts, read 371,218 times
Thanks Tinman, I keep checking that list also! I'm hoping they will be opening one in Lawrenceburg in the future, or at least in Columbia!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM

69 posts, read 268,560 times
Didn't Food City spring forth from the old White Stores in Knoxville? I know that they are HQ in the either Bristol or Abingdon. What ever happened to supporting local companies and developing industry to keep jobs local? Sigh, just another example of the big corporate entities taking over America.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
Quote:
Didn't Food City spring forth from the old White Stores in Knoxville? I know that they are HQ in the either Bristol or Abingdon. What ever happened to supporting local companies and developing industry to keep jobs local? Sigh, just another example of the big corporate entities taking over America.
I can understand what you are saying, but isn't Publix creating local jobs? The more stores they open, the more local jobs will be created. Eventually a warehouse will have to be established here as well creating many more local positions.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,775 times
Actually, Publix is kinda cool, because it is completely employee owned. I don't consider that some big corporate entity owned by suits without care for the employees and the community. They are highly invested in the communities they serve and are located in 5 southern states. I really don't know about Food City, because we do not have them here in Chatt, but the other stores in Chattanooga are not locally based anyway (Food Lion is N. Carolina and Bi-Lo is based in S. Carolina) and both serve multiple southern states, as Publix does.

Personally, given the choice between them all and what I know about Publix commitment to the community and to quality, I will shop at Publix most often when they open the new one on my side of town.

jmho

Quote:

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM

The only grocery chain comparable to Publix that I know of is Giant, which operates in the general area of Washington DC. Green is the predominate color in both stores' corporate decor, so they even look a lot alike. Giant's house brands are as good or better than the national brands, and sometimes even cost more. At least this used to be the case. Giant was a family business, but they sold out to overseas owners a few years ago, so things may have changed.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I know this thread is old and long, but I spoke to someone from Chattanooga the other day that was working on our security systems and he said that Chattanooga had Publix supermarkets.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
We used to have Giants here until about the mid 1980s, then a local chain "Food City" bought them out. I remember shopping in Gaints.... I was very young though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOne View Post
The only grocery chain comparable to Publix that I know of is Giant, which operates in the general area of Washington DC. Green is the predominate color in both stores' corporate decor, so they even look a lot alike. Giant's house brands are as good or better than the national brands, and sometimes even cost more. At least this used to be the case. Giant was a family business, but they sold out to overseas owners a few years ago, so things may have changed.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I know this thread is old and long, but I spoke to someone from Chattanooga the other day that was working on our security systems and he said that Chattanooga had Publix supermarkets.
Chattanooga has a new Publix. They are also building one in Hixson, according to one of the posts.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,775 times
Yes we have a Publix in E. Brainerd, but I live in Hixson, so it is probably a 25 minute drive to go to Publix and honestly I wish I could justify the time and gas to go everytime I need to buy groceries, but I can't, so I go for things I can only get there. I will shop there all the time when the Hixson one opens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee