Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM

249 posts, read 659,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not surprising, since East Tn is mostly white.

You should visit the Nashville forum if you wonder why it matters.
Chattanooga is considered East TN and is pretty similar to Nashville.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
That is interesting, Nashvols.

One of the things I like about Knoxville is our wide international diversity. Too bad that doesn't show up too well in these polls.

I suppose Kurds are considered Asian - is that why Nashville's number is relatively high?
I think a lot of Knoxville's international diversity can be attributed to the UT presence. UT itself is a fairly diverse community. It's a tremendous asset to the Knoxville area. But aside from UT, there doesn't seem to be a big international population represented in the region.

Yes, Kurds are considered Asian (it's too big of an umbrella term IMO). Most estimates put the Kurdish population of Nashville at around 8-12,000...so roughly 1/5 to 1/4 of the total Asian population is likely Kurdish. Outside of that, the Asian numbers would be similar, but perhaps slightly higher than that of the Memphis area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Chattanooga is considered East TN and is pretty similar to Nashville.
Yes, Chattanooga is a bit different compared to the other cities in East Tennessee. I think some of that may have to do with its proximity to Georgia. It's further south than Knoxville, and as you get deeper in the Appalachian region, there tends to be less diversity.

It can also be seen in Nashville, which is sort of a mid point between the lower country Delta region and the Appalachian region.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-09-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Interesting, although my mind automatically shifts to culture when it sees the word "ethnic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In 2012, I can't figure out why this matters.
Sorry.
It does matter, even for simply things like availability of certain food products...though this isn't very in depth.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Yes, Kurds are considered Asian (it's too big of an umbrella term IMO). Most estimates put the Kurdish population of Nashville at around 8-12,000...so roughly 1/5 to 1/4 of the total Asian population is likely Kurdish. Outside of that, the Asian numbers would be similar, but perhaps slightly higher than that of the Memphis area.
I didn't realize that and agree that it is too big of an umbrella term. As you pointed out the other day, Indians are considered Asian as well - which I knew but since there culture is so different from what I think of as Asia, they never get included in my mental list of Asians.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Kurds are not Asian, they are Caucasian. In fact many are blond haired and blue eyed. The ethnic area where most Kurds come from is northern Iran, Northern Iraq, north western Turkey and the along the former Russian areas near Armenia to name a few.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Kurds are not Asian, they are Caucasian.
Not according to this:

MtDNA and Y-chromosome variation in Kurdish gr... [Ann Hum Genet. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

"When compared with published data from other Kurdish groups and from European, Caucasian, and West and Central Asian groups, Kurdish groups are most similar genetically to other West Asian groups, and most distant from Central Asian groups, for both mtDNA and the Y-chromosome. However, Kurdish groups show a closer relationship with European groups than with Caucasian groups based on mtDNA, but the opposite based on the Y-chromosome, indicating some differences in their maternal and paternal histories."

Of course, the census does not necessarily use scientific race classifications. Seems like they need to update their classifications anyway, since so many people identified as "other" in 2010.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Yes, but what are we talking about here in relation to Kurds and to what people reading this board might mean ? Your study seems to point to Caucasian as groups as being from the Caucasus mountains, whereas I'm referring to basic ethnicity as being white as compared to what we think of of Asian - meaning people from the Far East.

Interesting fact though you have presented on the differences in mitochondrial DNA ( from the mother) as compared to the Y chromosome. There was a study done some years, which I'm too lazy to go look up as a reference.

It noted the influence of the Mongol invasions from the East across Russia, what is now Iran and parts of Turkey and current areas of Switzerland. It noted the DNA influences in the local people from Mongols doing what we could assume was ravaging or in some way mixing with the local women. What was presented were two different DNA lines in some of the local populations. Strictly local as coming from women but with Asian influence coming from the male.

Not to hijack this thread, but it's an intersting topic for another forum.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Well, to be fair, I have no clue what Kurds select on the Census survey. So I suppose it would be best to just leave it at "there are about 8-12,000 of them here."

Again, that's one reason why I dislike the fact that the Census has so few options for race/ethnicity. I guess it's just easier for them if you just fit into 4/5 easy categories.

*shrugs*

Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Please keep posts on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee