Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,746 times

Advertisements

okay, for some that know I am a new transplant, only a little overa month, you may not be shocked by this totally dumb question, remember, I am from Jersey, so I can laugh at myself so you can laugh at me too. Here goes,
My son and daughter like to walk with me everyday, we pass cows that are behind barbed wire,okay, now the hysterical part, they sometimes move closer to the wire , and stare at us and watch us when we go by. They cant get out right?Or arent going to "come and get us".I know , I know, how dumb am I, I am embaressed , But you guys have been so nice to me , where else ask.I truly love walking and seeing them, it makes my day! Thanks for the answers, and hope you enjoyed the laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
They're actually aliens . . . they're watching, waiting, waiting . . . waiting to pounce. Haven't you even seen those Far Side cartoons? They're evil! And sneaky!

Seriously, a cow is about as harmless a creature that there is (except for an angry bull, or unless they step on your foot). No one has EVER been chased down and eaten by a cow. ;-)

Last edited by alleycat; 11-05-2007 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,325 times
As long as the fence remains structurally sound, you've nothing to worry about. However, if the fence gets torn down or something, they very well may end up in the road, so you should always be mindful of that.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
okay, for some that know I am a new transplant, only a little overa month, you may not be shocked by this totally dumb question, remember, I am from Jersey, so I can laugh at myself so you can laugh at me too. Here goes,
My son and daughter like to walk with me everyday, we pass cows that are behind barbed wire,okay, now the hysterical part, they sometimes move closer to the wire , and stare at us and watch us when we go by. They cant get out right?Or arent going to "come and get us".I know , I know, how dumb am I, I am embaressed , But you guys have been so nice to me , where else ask.I truly love walking and seeing them, it makes my day! Thanks for the answers, and hope you enjoyed the laugh
As alleycat said, cows are (almost always) harmless & gentle though bulls can be ornery and the mamas can become aggressive when protecting a calf. Out in in the countryside I've seen many cows who've managed to escape from fenced pastures, but the last thing on their little minds is to hurt anyone.

Cows are very curious creatures and will check out all passersby. When walking or biking, I usually acknowledge their stares with a wave and/or a moo and a "howdy do." I'm not ashamed to admit that when in farm country, I talk to cows...and horses...and goats...and sheep...but not chickens, as I'm absolutely sure that they can't understand me.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Cows are very curious creatures and will check out all passersby . . .
Not to mention that they're also really stupid.

No offense to cows meant.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,506 times
...and if they end up in the road, it's the cars you gotta watch out for! I agree, cows are super docile but will step on your foot.

But southern cows will apologize.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
As long as the fence remains structurally sound, you've nothing to worry about. However, if the fence gets torn down or something, they very well may end up in the road, so you should always be mindful of that.
Or there could be a stampede!

(I'm just teasing!)

Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,746 times
Thanks so much for the replies, I truly Love looking at them, and didnt want to think they were going to ponce...LOL.They cows I see are black and white or just black.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
But southern cows will apologize.
That's udderly ridiculous. First they will ask about your family going back six generations . . .

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Thanks so much for the replies, I truly Love looking at them, and didnt want to think they were going to ponce...LOL.They cows I see are black and white or just black.
Sounds like Holsteins and black angus cows. Although my cow knowledge isn't what it once was. Now I just eat them medium rare. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee