Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times

Advertisements

A transplant from Connecticut, I had to laugh the first time they showed people in Nashville using leaf blowers to remove the snow from their driveway on the news! I brought my snow shovel with me but normally just use a broom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM

46 posts, read 133,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There are lots of half-backs and Floridians in TN and they are just as rude and ignorant as they are in FL. They make NewYorkers seem like Emily Post.

Unless you are retired I believe you would do far better in Colorado. Good jobs are hard to find in TN and those that are here are mainly service or medical. Colorado is a far more progressive state that I believe will attract more business and industry in the future.

Good luck.
I respectfully disagree with you. I am from NY and even though I love native TN's, the only difference between the two is that TN's can insult you with a smile. People are people whereever you go. There is good and bad in all of us. It's not fair to put labels on people. There are many progressives in TN.as well as conservatives. If you love people, then your condition will be contagious.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
If you are a health or emergency worker you will buy a 4 wheel drive or have a family member with one on call. Aren't most businesses OK with coming in late on snow days? Schools will be closed with one flake (j/k).

Nobody owns a dedicated snowplow but there are plow attachments for trucks. Some businesses will plow their parking lots for marketing and I suppose liability reasons. The city will brine the major roads.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisabel View Post
I respectfully disagree with you. I am from NY and even though I love native TN's, the only difference between the two is that TN's can insult you with a smile. People are people whereever you go. There is good and bad in all of us. It's not fair to put labels on people. There are many progressives in TN.as well as conservatives. If you love people, then your condition will be contagious.
pfffttt. You're in the Yankee ghetto where they stick all the northern retirees. What did you expect? Come on out and live amongst the rest of us and then report back.

Kidding, sort of.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM

152 posts, read 295,940 times
I think it depends on what kind of job you're interested in. East TN has a lot to offer for logistics, medical, R&D and certain manufacturing careers... But education or social work? I'd look elsewhere unless it's your true calling. Only a signed message from God could get me to follow my family's footsteps into those sorts of careers around here.

That being said, I love East TN and feel like there is no place I would rather be. It's not perfect, but it is home. My heart swells with love for its gentle valley's, rolling hills and protective mountains. The people can be a touch obstinate, tend to stick to what they know and have an almost self-defeating sense of independence... Yet they're resourceful, loyal and if the world were to end tomorrow, I know we'd come together to take care of one another. I believe in East TN in ways that I don't think I could explain to people who have lived here without truly living here. It's one of those sort of places you give your heart to without always knowing why. Love doesn't always make sense, I guess. Neither does East TN, and sometimes its faults only make me love it more. I hope everyone can find a place that makes them feel the way I do about my home. It's a very special feeling that I can only compare to a mother's love for a child--Even if that child were to betray or fall short of the mother's ideal expectations, a true mother would never abandon nor forsake their child. No statistic in the world could measure the bond I have to this place. That's why I can say I am happy living in East TN although I can't indisputably say it's actually any better or worse than somewhere like Denver.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Unless your retired or independently wealthy, number one issue is finding a job.
Yes, this!!! ^

We came here with hubby being offered a great job. Sadly because of his physical health from previous injuries and the fact that he had a terminal illness that hadn't been diagnosed but the symptoms were there, he didn't get it. So I had to go to work. Two hours each way going to and from Nashville because it's the closest thing I could find. Great job, wonderful staff, my bosses were amazing, but we went through five management companies in four years, the last of which laid off the entire management staff and eliminated my position as well. That was three years ago. I still haven't found a job. I've applied for jobs I'm very over qualified for, have half a dozen letters of reference from previous co-workers as well as four years of excellent annual reviews. I've finally decided to go back to school and get a nursing degree which will take a couple years, but it's the only thing I can find that there is just no supply of. So get the job FIRST and then move. And when you move, rent, don't buy. We did get very lucky with our move. Got a house that was perfect for us for next to nothing. We're in an extra tiny community with people who are outgoing and friendly. There are some downsides for us personally; no place in the world is perfect. SO make sure you can afford it by finding the job and a rental first.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Yes, this!!! ^

We came here with hubby being offered a great job. Sadly because of his physical health from previous injuries and the fact that he had a terminal illness that hadn't been diagnosed but the symptoms were there, he didn't get it. So I had to go to work. Two hours each way going to and from Nashville because it's the closest thing I could find. Great job, wonderful staff, my bosses were amazing, but we went through five management companies in four years, the last of which laid off the entire management staff and eliminated my position as well. That was three years ago. I still haven't found a job. I've applied for jobs I'm very over qualified for, have half a dozen letters of reference from previous co-workers as well as four years of excellent annual reviews. I've finally decided to go back to school and get a nursing degree which will take a couple years, but it's the only thing I can find that there is just no supply of. So get the job FIRST and then move. And when you move, rent, don't buy. We did get very lucky with our move. Got a house that was perfect for us for next to nothing. We're in an extra tiny community with people who are outgoing and friendly. There are some downsides for us personally; no place in the world is perfect. SO make sure you can afford it by finding the job and a rental first.
You could avoided all of that by living in an area where you would have job possibilities, just in case.

Point of reference, I had to find a job last year and I had one in three weeks. A great job with a major company. Best pay and job that I've ever had and I used to be a reporter.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM

362 posts, read 645,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You could avoided all of that by living in an area where you would have job possibilities, just in case.

Point of reference, I had to find a job last year and I had one in three weeks. A great job with a major company. Best pay and job that I've ever had and I used to be a reporter.
That is wonderful and such a positive post.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,633 times
I'm moving to Tennessee from Florida, bought a house near Savannah Tenn. I'm retired, not looking to find work. People are friendly. The waitresses won't spit in your food behind your back,they do it in front of you. I'm also moving to Tennessee where the men are men and the women or men too. LOL. Check out Savannah it's a great city.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
Thank you for leaving Florida..... The hills are calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee