Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:30 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,925 times

Advertisements

There's Jasper and South Pittsburg just north of Chattanooga via I-24. Might want to check them out. Lot closer to Chattanooga than Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 PM

456 posts, read 587,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57j2olds View Post
Cleveland was OK, but too "Bible-belty" for me.

LOL...Why are you even moving here? Tennessee is the "bible-belt".

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 PM

410 posts, read 803,053 times
This is certainly the "bible-belt". I do notice most will leave you alone.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
We moved from NNJ/NYC area to sw TN. Talk about bible belt! And yet, even in this tiny town, I have only been asked once in 2.5 years what church we attend. However, if you want to shut down a meeting and be the center of everyone's attention, negatively, then use the lord's name in vain!

Frankly, it doesn't usually bother me, except when it's overpowering as in every other sentence is pray for this or that. And get used to town meetings beginning with a prayer.

I lived in NW TN for 2 years during college back in the late 60s so I was prepared to cope with the "bible-belty"
atmosphere and nothing surprised me about it. If it bothers you, then looking at a country-type town might not be a good fit for you.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
LOL...Why are you even moving here? Tennessee is the "bible-belt".

I was wondering the same thing. If the OP needs to accept that this is a conservative religious state, and being this is the south that should be something the OP already knows. Also as others have already have said, no one will bother you if you do not share in the Christian belief of the majority here. This is also a live and let live place. That does not mean that the OP should not be prepared for religious references, expressions of faith by others, and political stances that are in line with Christian belief. This is not Michigan, and if the OP wants it to be like Michigan then they should seriously consider staying in Michigan. I am not trying to sound rude or un-welcoming, but am trying to gently let the OP know what to expect here. Moving to a state where your value system is not in line with the local value system would be tough on anyone, and it could ruin the move. If the OP can live with this being the bible belt and decides to move here it may make sense to look at staying near the bigger cities. Chattanooga has nice suburbs, and the closer you are to the city the more moderate the population will be. Chattanooga also has a VERY nice downtown with lots of things there.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
If the OP is still checking this post I wanted to let you know the Cleveland TN area is not bad at all. My cousin has lived there for around 17 years, he is christian but has not been to church in all the years he has lived there except for a wedding or funeral. He drinks plenty of beer and seems to have no problem buying it at nearby stores but he mainly makes his own home brew.

I think he has to go out of Bradley Co. to buy "Hard stuff" for take home but we have been to a steak house while visiting and they sold mixed drinks and beer.

Last summer we were down looking the area over for semi-retiring and we was able to find small parcels of land like you want and it is a easy commute to Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee