Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM

257 posts, read 1,080,811 times

Advertisements

I am going crazy here, my mind is running constantly.....Kingsport? Maryville? Kingsport? Maryville?.......UGH!

My goals are.......a walkable, bicycle city with plenty of parks, greenways, nice libraries. Inexpensive housing in nice areas of town and doesn't need to be an abundance of jobs, but would enjoy some opportunities! Need a great city to get to know people and go to social functions, such as festivals, concerts in the park, aerobic classes, maybe a book club, or some type of woman's org, or opportunities in church.

I have a feeling that both of these cities have what I need, and serve my goals.....I guess I want EVERTHING don't I? Well, I just want this to be my last move, I am getting too old to keep this up....LOL

What is a girl to do...........I really want to be able to retire comfortably, and my savings to last me longer.....LOL

I know you the people here on CD cannot answer for me, or make up my mind for me, but I guess I am looking for the insiders opinion of both the places. Maybe pros and cons of someone that may have lived in both places? And according to my goals, and wants which city would be the best fit?

Last edited by Putty; 01-12-2008 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: wrong title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I am going crazy here, my mind is running constantly.....Kingsport? Maryville? Kingsport? Maryville?.......UGH!

My goals are.......a walkable, bicycle city with plenty of parks, greenways, nice libraries. Inexpensive housing in nice areas of town and doesn't need to be an abundance of jobs, but would enjoy some opportunities! Need a great city to get to know people and go to social functions, such as festivals, concerts in the park, aerobic classes, maybe a book club, or some type of woman's org, or opportunities in church.

I have a feeling that both of these cities have what I need, and serve my goals.....I guess I want EVERTHING don't I? Well, I just want this to be my last move, I am getting too old to keep this up....LOL

What is a girl to do...........I really want to be able to retire comfortably, and my savings to last me longer.....LOL

I know you the people here on CD cannot answer for me, or make up my mind for me, but I guess I am looking for the insiders opinion of both the places. Maybe pros and cons of someone that may have lived in both places? And according to my goals, and wants which city would be the best fit?

Putty, I have lived in both places and love them both. Which one truly speaks to your heart? They both, I believe, can meet your needs with the list you posted. I posed your dilemma to my husband, not originally from TN, and he said if he were you he would choose Kingsport.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM

AAAwww that was so sweet to ask your husbands opinion, is there any reason he thought I would like Kingsport better?

Tell him I appreciate his opinions!

I am like you, in thinking both would be ok, and the bad thing about it, they are both speaking to my heart......LOL

Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
AAAwww that was so sweet to ask your husbands opinion, is there any reason he thought I would like Kingsport better?

Tell him I appreciate his opinions!

I am like you, in thinking both would be ok, and the bad thing about it, they are both speaking to my heart......LOL
He thinks it would be better because the traffic is better, it is easier to get around, the mall is nicer, there is a nice mall in Kingsport and a very nice mall in Johnson City, the infrastructure for retiree activities is better, you can more easily hop over the state line to VA to shop (sales tax considerations), he likes the restaurants in Kingsport better. We are running out the door (here in Maryville, lol), these will get you started. I love both cities!! We would still be in Kingsport if I hadn't gotten such a wonderful job offer in Knoxville. Oh Putty, I don't want you to have regrets. I wish I knew you better and could help guide you one way or another. If you move to Maryville we will have you over for dinner; if you move to Kingsport you will have to settle for my brother and his family or my Dad and stepmom.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Smoky, u are just the sweetest gal, if you are an example of what type of people I will meet there, I can't go wrong with either!

I changed my title of my thread.......More realistic of my feelings right now. LOL

Your husband gave me something to comtemplate besides my navel! Are you familiar with that phrase? Let me go "contemplate my navel"......hehehe!

Oh geesh........What mind I got left is not an understatement is it? LOL

Thats ok, u don't have to answer that

Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hi Putty,
I agree with you, it is hard for any of us to tell you what you should do. I also agree with Smoky's great advice. Maybe you could make a trip and spend several days in each city? I personally am partial to Kingsport only because I live close to there and work there. I am quite involved with some of the city government offices on occasion and I have to say I have been very impressed with the infrastructure of Kingsport as well. I have only visited the Maryville area, never lived there, but I have enjoyed it as well. It is closer to Gatlinburg which I would love to be closer to, but again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well, I live pretty close to Kingsport and familiar with the area, but my dad is from Maryville and I have been several times, so I am familiar with that city as well.

I really like them both. I am partial to "west" Kingsport- the Church Hill area and points southwestward. I love the drive down toward Rogersville on 11W.

As far as weather goes, both cities are about the same, but overall, Maryville is a warmer city, due to not only being further south, but about 300 ft. lower in elevation.

I think you would be happy in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee