Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we need more gun laws in TN?
We need more laws allowing more guns to be carried/owned. 6 30.00%
We need more laws restricting ownership of guns and/or carrying them. 2 10.00%
No more laws are needed. 10 50.00%
I don't really care. 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM

672 posts, read 811,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Vermont has no handgun license system, they're doing just fine. Sure, for the most part it's just a bunch of cheese and syrup eating hippies that go to jam band concerts every weekend, but the point is, there is not much of a correlation between gun laws and crime. VIOLENCE, not guns, always has and always will be the common denominator.

Look at Chicago, the murder and gun violence capitol of the US (a proud title I'm sure) yet they have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Now what IS correlated with violence is lower socioeconomic status (The Socio-economics of Crime and Justice - Google Books ) , of which Chicago, Memphis and all your other high crime cities have no shortage of.

Education has strong positive/direct correlations with socioeconomic status. Therefore, I would assume memphis, chicago, detroit or any other crime sinkhole would benefit more by investing the time, energy and resources into education rather than gun control as this would get to the ROOT of the problem. Although that's not the sexy highly politicized solution, it is the correct one.
I agree. Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:01 AM

9,473 posts, read 10,821,447 times
Laws restricting the owning of firearms are in direct violation of the second amendment. I do not support any kind of gun control laws. In fact I believe our local laws should encourage people to be armed, nothing deters crime like the idea that your victim may be armed. I love those stories where a criminal breaks into a house and finds a nine year old girl, or an 85 year old woman and discovers to their detriment that the intended victim is armed and knows how to use the firearm. Guns are a tool, both for entertainment and protection. We are a nation with an armed populace and our enemies have considered this when they have contemplated attacking this nation. This is one reason the Japanese had no real plans to ever land troops on our west coast in WW2. Our government also knows the public is armed, this is a check against tyranny from our own government. Americas relationship with firearms is healthy and good for America.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,346,596 times
So you support the right of a felon convicted of a violent crime to own a gun?

I also assume you support the right of someone with a profound mental illness to own a gun?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:21 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

I also assume you support the right of someone with a profound mental illness to own a gun?
With how absolutely unconstitutional and downright silly the laws are getting up here in the north (and california in west), I, for the first time ever, am answering YES to this question.

I would rather the 2A be interpreted as literally as the Koran with even felons having access to guns than to continue down the road this (northern) region and, ostensibly, this country is headed. Politics and cost of living are a huge reason my wife and I will be moving to TN, but 2A rights were also a deciding factor.

Some examples of the insanity...In NY, you can theoretically according to the penal codes, do more jail time for having an "assault weapon"--their definition, not any gun experts-- than for raping someone. Keep in mind the perspective and context here....Possession of something that was legal yesterday and even today is still legal in 45+ other states in the US, would get you in as much or more criminal trouble than RAPING someone in a mall parking garage. Kids are being expelled for eating pop-tarts into an "L" shape that looks like a gun.

CT banned bayonets on a gun. A bayonet has not been used in a SINGLE published murder in the state of CT. Regardless of your stance on the necessity of a blade at the end of a gun for a civilian, it is an absolute waste of tie and resources to ban because it will not prevent even 1 crime in 100 years. Sandy Hook is a statistical anomaly. An aberration of the crime data in an otherwise very safe state. Do you know how many murders there were in CT involving an "AW" in the prior 4 years of data (according to data published by CT PD)? The answer: a maximum of 4. The crime report doesn't stratify "long guns" into sub categories, so all we know is that 4 people were murdered by a rifle that could be a bolt action hunting gun, an evil baby seal murdering AW, or any other type of rifle. So, in short, the new laws in CT have the potential to prevent a maximum of 4 crimes after wasting nearly a year of legislators time and taxpayers money. I don't include sandy hook in the "preventable" outcome because we all know that sick fkuc wouldn't have woke up that morning and said "oh, this gun is illegal, I'm not allowed to slaughter 20+ elementary aged children with it".

Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM

672 posts, read 811,812 times
Quote:

I will answer with a " felon convicted of a violent crime" shouldn't be on the street then you wouldn't have to worry if they have a gun or not.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
I will answer with a " felon convicted of a violent crime" shouldn't be on the street then you wouldn't have to worry if they have a gun or not.
You prepared to give them life sentences then?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM

473 posts, read 797,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'm guessing neither of the last two posters lives in the Memphis area. The rest of TN is a lot different than Memphis. In Memphis, crime is rampant, and you know who doesn't have a gun for protection.
Quote:
You prepared to give them life sentences then?
My guess is something swifter...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
My guess is something swifter...
The Wild West is back.

Yee haw.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Why change the revolving door prison system when we can just punish an entire population of people who didn't commit a crime because of the fractional minority that did? Prison is racist. Recidivism is cool and hip. Get with the decade, bro.

The good news is, I don't anticipate TN gun laws going south (pun intended) anytime soon.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 AM

9,473 posts, read 10,821,447 times
Quote:

People who should not own guns also should not be on the street. A violent felon should not be out of prison. A profoundly mentally ill person belongs in an institution, or under some sort of supervision. Of course some citizens will abuse their rights, however that does not mean I am willing to give mine up for the sake of "safety". I would rather face the risk than give up my freedom. Overall the risk of being shot by a madman is very low. I stand by my statement that I do not believe in gun control and I feel it is unconstitutional. Freedom does not come with no risk at all, and IMO the risk is well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee