Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:10 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

Agreed with jabogitlu than Knoxville just doesn't do it for me. It's bigger than the Tri-Cities, so it has more in the way of medical care, retail, sports, etc, but it doesn't seem to have what a metro of its size you think would. When I was living in the Tri-Cities, I would go to Greenville, SC instead of Asheville or Knoxville for anything the Tri-Cities didn't have. It is just a far superior city to Knoxville IMO.

UT-Knoxville is an excellent school with an excellent sport scene, but Knoxville just seems bland to me. The economy is better in Knoxville than the Tri-Cities. It's closer to bigger cities (Nashville, Atlanta, Cincinnati and Charlotte are all within a half day) than the Tri-Cities.

Personally I'm not a fan of Knoxville or the Tri-Cities, but not for the religious reasons. I think as long as you don't go around confronting people about their religion, you won't have any problems, aside from the occasional idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:53 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,007 times
Not to hijack the topic, but what is the appeal of Greenville? I hear people talk about going there frequently but I've only driven past on my route to Atlanta. If I made a day trip there with the family what is there to do that isn't available in the TRI?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM

363 posts, read 482,561 times
I think it is easier if you live within the city first (rent probably) and get a feel of living in a smaller city/town especially if you have been in SD for such a long time. Right now (we just transplanted from the San Diego area in July after 30 years), where we live is not in the city but not in the rural area , it's more suburban (think Eastlake (if you're from that way) or the San Marcos area in the N. SD area without traffic). It's a little comforting being able to find things right away because I have gotten lost ALOT my first month or two here.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM

311 posts, read 398,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Not to hijack the topic, but what is the appeal of Greenville? I hear people talk about going there frequently but I've only driven past on my route to Atlanta. If I made a day trip there with the family what is there to do that isn't available in the TRI?
I've yet to go to Greeneville, SC but everybody seems to love it there. From what I've heard it's about the perfect size city/area if you are looking for something not quite city but not quite rural too. It's just a solid mid sized area with a decent amount to do and see.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM

185 posts, read 289,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
It's a little comforting being able to find things right away because I have gotten lost ALOT my first month or two here.
That is one thing that surprised me about this area. I am really good with directions and usually have no issue at all with navigating anywhere. It took me a good two months before I felt orientated. It still messes with me sometimes to realize that our street actually goes North/South.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Johnson City can be tricky to navigate because practically none of the city lies on a grid.

I like Greenville, SC primarily because the downtown area is quite attractive and very busy/popular, especially for a city of its size.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:10 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Are you sure you aren't looking for Floyd, VA?

I mean there are hippies scattered throughout Knox county, mostly south & east - but there is not an identifiable Hippie Town. Except perhaps Rollo Ridge but that is an alternate reality.

Have you looked into Jonesborough outside Johnson City. It's kinda artsy.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:40 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Oh and Greenville SC has a waterfall right in the middle of downtown that is absolutely wonderful. But historically it has been very conservative, far more conservative than the TN cities. Huge growth spurt has brought in lots of transplants so that might not be an issue. Retirement communities on the nearby lakes in the direction of Clemson U.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 50,562 times
Wow! You are all SO helpful! :-) Yes, we are looking to book a flight there at the end of October. We have flagged a few properties that we want to see in the whole Tri Cities area. We saw a house on Osceola that might be a fixer upper, but it's on 2 acres, which would be great. To answer jabogitlu, we like the idea of being able to drive to get to shopping, within 10-20 minutes, but living "in the city" is fine as long as it's not the sprawl we're used to in CA. Right now, we live on an acre at the end of a "country lane" in Vista, CA, with nothing behind us but a grassy hill. I can wave at my neighbors, but I rarely hear them. The first few weeks living here in 1998, the quiet was almost noticeable. I have gotten very used to it. I want that again, but I still want to be able to wave to my neighbors if I see them and be able to feel like I'm not isolated WAY out in the country. We have two big dogs that can bark at times, so living on a smaller lot isn't an option. We have properties in mind in JC and on up to Kingsport and around the Tri Cities area. Because we are looking for a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home, hopefully a ranch style without too many stairs, a walk out basement, great room from the kitchen (so I don't feel like a kitchen slave, isolated from where the action is!), the selection is more narrow than I thought it would be. OneToughKitty, I just retired from teaching in San Marcos for 30 years. I know what you mean about the traffic! I started teaching there in 1984, and now the traffic is insane!
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I know Greenville, SC too. My sister and her husband just moved to Spartanburg from La Costa, CA (north SD County) and just love it. I'd prefer Greenville to Spartanburg, personally, due to the reasons mentioned in the posts above. It's just too low elevation for my husband. He wants slightly higher elevation, and thus, slightly cooler summers than Spartanburg/Greenville would offer.
I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much, everyone!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:40 PM

23 posts, read 50,562 times
queenladybug817 and rccrain, thank you for giving specifics on different areas and communities. It helps when I'm looking on Zillow to know a little about the areas where some of these homes are! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee