Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM

91 posts, read 207,211 times

Advertisements

Coming from rural NW Connecticut. It will be my mother, myself and my 7 year old daughter. We live in a small town now, commute 30 minutes to everything, including grocery stores. About 45-an hour for any kind of major shopping. However, this means it's a very quiet and safe community where we are now.

We are looking at the Paris area. Mostly due to the cost of housing as we want a couple acres for animals. We both have work at home jobs so we are not looking for work.

My main concern is my young child. I want to find an area that is safe and has a decent school system, good families, and just an opportunity for her to find friends and become a part of a community. As a single mother I cannot afford places like Brentwood and large cities are not for me. Being within 30 minutes of a walmart is fine. But I don't want to be so isolated that my daughter winds up lonely all the time. Plus sometimes with major rural-ness comes random meth labs in the woods, lol.

If you have any insight into Paris could you pass it along? Or if you know of another town that might sound right, could you let me know so I can look into it? We were originally looking into eastern TN around Morristown or Rogersville but heard such horrible stories that we started looking west. I know a lot of what you read is exaggerated but TN's history of being dangerous plus with the schools closing in Celina due to budget issues, I'm just nervous for my child.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:38 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan98 View Post
Coming from rural NW Connecticut. It will be my mother, myself and my 7 year old daughter. We live in a small town now, commute 30 minutes to everything, including grocery stores. About 45-an hour for any kind of major shopping. However, this means it's a very quiet and safe community where we are now.

We are looking at the Paris area. Mostly due to the cost of housing as we want a couple acres for animals. We both have work at home jobs so we are not looking for work.

My main concern is my young child. I want to find an area that is safe and has a decent school system, good families, and just an opportunity for her to find friends and become a part of a community. As a single mother I cannot afford places like Brentwood and large cities are not for me. Being within 30 minutes of a walmart is fine. But I don't want to be so isolated that my daughter winds up lonely all the time. Plus sometimes with major rural-ness comes random meth labs in the woods, lol.

If you have any insight into Paris could you pass it along? Or if you know of another town that might sound right, could you let me know so I can look into it? We were originally looking into eastern TN around Morristown or Rogersville but heard such horrible stories that we started looking west. I know a lot of what you read is exaggerated but TN's history of being dangerous plus with the schools closing in Celina due to budget issues, I'm just nervous for my child.

Thanks.
The schools in Celina are not closing.

Clay County Schools To Remain Open Pending Hearing | Upper Cumberland Now

What exactly are you looking for? Tennessee has lots of inexpensive places within a half hour of a Walmart. Paris does sound like it would work for you, but so do plenty of other places in Tennessee. Let us know what you're looking for so we can help you out more.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-12-2015, 05:45 PM

I'm opening an animal sanctuary so at least 3 acres with a home for under $200,000. Schools that rate at least a 7. A small community feel but not necessarily Mayberry type. Right now my daughter's school is K-8 with 88 kids in it so we are in a small town right now but the school is excellent.

I just don't want isolation and crime is a big fear of mine especially drug related. I liked Clarksville, so that is the type of town I would like to be maybe within 45 minutes or so from.

I like the towns that have music on the weekends, craft fairs, farmers markets and those type of community events.

Last edited by clogan98; 10-12-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan98 View Post
I'm opening an animal sanctuary so at least 3 acres with a home for under $200,000. Schools that rate at least a 7. A small community feel but not necessarily Mayberry type. Right now my daughter's school is K-8 with 88 kids in it so we are in a small town right now but the school is excellent.

I just don't want isolation and crime is a big fear of mine. I liked Clarksville, so that is the type of town I would like to be maybe within 45 minutes or so from.
Paris is pretty isolated. You have two sizable communities for shopping and groceries with Murray, KY, 30 minutes away and Clarksville, TN over 1 hour. Have you considered Springfield or Ashland City? Those are nice smaller communities in between Clarksville and Nashville that have everything it sounds like you need. With your budget you could definitely find something in those areas. Dickson would also be another great option. I have no idea about the school systems, but haven't heard anything bad about them to tell you to avoid them.

Ashland City, TN

Dickson County Chamber of Commerce > Home

Live, Work & Play | Springfield, TN - Official Website

Old 10-12-2015, 06:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Paris is a lovely city. They do have Walmart, Lowe's, etc.

When my friend needed back surgery, her doctor sent her to Nashville to a Vanderbilt surgeon.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM

I was also looking at Dover as their schools looked like they were rated well and the houses looked affordable. When I was looking into eastern TN, Maryville looked quite nice but the houses in our price range with a few acres were slim but that type of town was nice.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:43 PM

105 posts, read 171,498 times
I recently moved to Paris from Philadelphia, PA. I'm loving it!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
I have some experience with Paris. I spent about 10 months there.

Paris is a nice small community. As others have stated, they have a Wal Mart and a Lowes. There are restaurants in the area that serve decent food. For any shopping beyond Wal Mart and Lowes, Clarksville was the go to place. When I was last in Paris, Camo was the preferred color for clothes when going out (cruising the Wal Mart.) It has a small quiet feel to the town and very little to do off-hours.

There are good people there. For the most part, they were friendly but most of them hang within their high school groups.

As recent as 10 years ago, they had segregated Proms. Racism is a problem there.

I know someone who was arrested for meth production. It is there and a problem if you go looking for it. However, you can find that type of problem all over the United States in rural communities. There was a website at one time dedicated to finding meth houses (DEA Clandestine Lab registry). It was useful for making sure you weren't buying a toxic house.

From my experience there, I wouldn't open an animal sanctuary there. For a small sleepy town with nothing for teenage boys to do, an open air animal sanctuary seems like it would have a target painted on it.

Cost of living was cheap compared to other places I have lived.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:36 AM

Yes, I fear racism is someshing I'll have to get used to. Being so close to NYC up here, no one cares if you're black, white, gay... we don't care. I'm just hoping my views will mean more to my daughter than other people's.

As for being a target, that's a horrible thought. If that's the type of people that live there, that would hurt abused animals for fun, then it's not where I'd want be be at all. Granted no matter where we would go cameras and security would be in full use, but to be forewarned already... that's not good.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
If you're so worried already stay where you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee