Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:24 PM

672 posts, read 810,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Before they can be placed on the registry, they first have to be charged.
And convicted, right?

I have mixed feelings only because I worry how it will be applied by locality. Nobody wants someone to abuse animals. Usually when you think of protecting animals and abuse laws everyone thinks of cats and dogs. In the case you referenced the abuse of horses. Everybody can be on-board with that idea for the most part.

Nobody likes seeing animals starved or physically abusing animals. Physically abusing some animals is defined a little differently in some places.

My current state which has strong animal abuse laws also has laws that protects livestock. Some of these laws can conflict.

For instance, in my state it is perfectly legal by state law to kill a predator that is attacking your livestock.
Multiple times we have seen farmers charged with animal abuse for killing a raccoon that was attacking chickens, ducks etc. on a farm despite the law protecting farmers. They still get charged and convicted by municipalities.

I don't want to see a chicken farmer on a list for beheading chickens. I don't want to see any other animal farmer on the list for butchering or other common farming practices. I don't want to see a farmer on the list for varmint removal for protecting his crops and livestock.

I'm all for animal welfare groups and laws that are applied with common sense but to many times the laws are used by animal rights groups and the common sense is replaced. One should know the difference.

The common sense approach never materializes when it comes to registries and laws. There is a jump to zero tolerance and zero common sense when applied.
Quote:

Lowering recidivism rates isn't the only goal of the registry. Schools use it to keep bad people out, neighbors use it to know who to keep their children away from, employers use it to keep bad people away from children (day cares), etc. No, the registry didn't solve the problem of recidivism, but it did help in other areas, A LOT.

The same will be said for this new animal registry. It won't stop people from abusing animals, but if it keeps bad people from adopting animals, I'm all for it. Every little bit helps.

Yes and a 18 year old high school students get on that list for having a 17 year old girlfriend in many places. A young man can get on that list for peeing on the side of the road. Children have had to register on registries for taking pictures of themselves. Accused of trying to hug a classmate at 13 ? Yep, happened in Colorado. Now you're on the sex offenders registry. 17 year old girl in Georgia on the list for having sex with her 15 year old high-school boyfriend. Yep, it happened.

So what will happen on this list when every other list becomes tainted with the lack of common sense?

What about bleeding hearts who don't understand some farming operations?
Someone practicing rotational grazing or mob grazing with cattle. Alternative pig pasture management without conventional feed most of the year? Abuse, abuse you'll hear.

For many reasons I say no to lists. If you are really a sexual predator you need to be in jail. If you are a danger to the community you need to be in jail. If you are convicted of a crime (any crime) you need to serve your time. It needs to be appropriate for what was done. When you have done your legal time that should be it. If you commit a heinous crime then maybe you should get life or death. We can do away with registries, gun background checks if the punishment fits the crime. If you have stolen from someone, you should do your time and be back out with your full rights as a citizen and given a chance.
Aren't you suppose to be reformed? I don't think punishing people forever is the correct way. The punishment should fit the crime. If you're a repeat offender maybe you go away longer or forever.End of story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 PM

196 posts, read 175,363 times
I for one am glad that for once this issue is being taken seriously. It's a small step. Sooner or later laws will change.

Better yet, maybe people will.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I'm glad they have started this. On the other hand, we have some great laws to prevent animal abuse and charge those that break the law. Seldom do we see agencies do a thing about animal abuse. My county won't even investigate it because we have no shelter. Will it help? Maybe but I doubt it. People still get animals for free day after day after day off LSN for free. Once they are done with what ever unspeakable things they want to do, they'll just dispose of the body and look for another. Realtor and I went to see a house in Grundy County earlier this week. Pulled up as the neighbor tied a puppy to a porch post and shot it. Perhaps it's illegal in the state, but the state won't investigate and like my county, Grundy doesn't have time to deal with things like that especially since they have no shelter. So there will be no justice for the puppy and I'm sure he will repeat the cycle many times over. Will he ever be on the registry? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee