Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Yikes! The figures definitely look better per county. I can't figure this one out regarding New Castle, Virginia. Maybe it's a typo.

The 2005 New Castle, VA, population is 175. There are 1,069 people per square mile (population density).

Thanks for the good information!!
No, that's correct. The land size of New Castle is approximately .1635 square miles (Less than a mile). Since you are giving the measurement in square miles divide the square miles into the population to what the population would be per mile.

It would be 175/.1635 = 1070
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 06:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, that's correct. The land size of New Castle is approximately .1635 square miles (Less than a mile). Since you are giving the measurement in square miles divide the square miles into the population to what the population would be per mile.

It would be 175/.1635 = 1070
Thanks LauraC. That makes sense how they figure it, but I'm sure glad it isn't in actuality true, so to speak.

Well, wherever I end up living, it isn't going to be in a town anyway, small or large. I want some place way out in the country where the population per square mile will be much less.

Last edited by KewGee; 11-23-2006 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: add another comment

Old 11-23-2006, 08:05 AM

203 posts, read 766,324 times
Population density is one of the reasons why I want to leave California...in my city, with a population of 7800, the pop. density is over 4000! You can't take 2 steps without bumping into someone. No wonder I'm starting to get claustophobic.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:10 AM

86 posts, read 333,810 times
amjb: Back to your original question about population relative to counties in NC and TN, this is probaby due to historical rather than current migration or tax issues. Many of the larger counties have rail, water and highway transportation systems that date back a couple of centuries. You also indicated you wanted to locate in a rural area where there is little chance of a high population growth. Data is available on county population growth for every state. A couple examples for TN, Hancock county has a population of 6700 and a -1.2% loss of population between 2000-2003. Lake County with a population of 7900 has a net loss of -1.7% dorung the same period.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. View Post
amjb: Back to your original question about population relative to counties in NC and TN, this is probaby due to historical rather than current migration or tax issues. Many of the larger counties have rail, water and highway transportation systems that date back a couple of centuries. You also indicated you wanted to locate in a rural area where there is little chance of a high population growth. Data is available on county population growth for every state. A couple examples for TN, Hancock county has a population of 6700 and a -1.2% loss of population between 2000-2003. Lake County with a population of 7900 has a net loss of -1.7% dorung the same period.
Yes, I have found a website with that information on it as well as the 100 of the most fastest growing counties in the United States.

Thanks for your post.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Population density is one of the reasons why I want to leave California...in my city, with a population of 7800, the pop. density is over 4000! You can't take 2 steps without bumping into someone. No wonder I'm starting to get claustophobic.
Oh, goodness. I couldn't stand that.

I live in a fairly low populated area out in the country but actually, it is becoming too populated for me. I don't want to hear any noises but nature noises. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Thanks LauraC. That makes sense how they figure it, but I'm sure glad it isn't in actuality true, so to speak.

Well, wherever I end up living, it isn't going to be in a town anyway, small or large. I want some place way out in the country where the population per square mile will be much less.

No, no...there are only 175 people that live in the town of New Castle. Maybe they live on 2 or 3 blocks and somebody at some time decided to call that the town since we know the town is smaller than 1 square mile. Those 3 streets could be in the middle of a forest, farmland or a desert or New Castle could be 3 blocks in the middle of some big city that some wealthy folks decided to get their own post office for. Since very few people, live, work and play only within town boundaries, the perception of crowded for a smaller town, is probably better assessed by what surrounds it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee