Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 8,821 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a retired, single woman, from Canada, who discovered your state three years ago on my way home from a vacation in Florida. I had never been to Tennessee before, but I fell in love with the beauty of the landscape and was so impressed with how friendly people were. Unfortunately, I could only spend a few days there. I spent a day in Nashville which I loved - and two days in Franklin. I have been a long time student of the Civil War and was a re-enactor here in Canada for three years and visiting Franklin was basically my purpose in detouring through Tennessee to begin with ! Long story short - Since I started thinking of a place to escape brutal Canadian winters, I have never been able to imagine myself anywhere else but in your beautiful state. The weather is perfectly suited to me and the scenery is breathtaking. My problem is I don't know where to start looking !!
I am conservative in my values and in my political views and would feel more comfortable in this type of environment. I want to have the beauty of the mountains close to me and a smaller town would be perfect. I am not overly active, due to some mobility issues, but can see myself walking my dog along the trails. Also I am obviously from the North - but quite north of the border. Would that be an issue ? Sorry for the long post - Thank-you for your help. Merci.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Bonjour!

Are you looking to live in the US more than six months a year? If so, you'll want to read this.

https://www.visaplace.com/blog-immig...-united-states

Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 PM

Good Evening !! If it were at all possible, I would love to live in the US longer than six months, but I don't qualify for a visa, unless the retiree visa bill succeeds. At this point, I would be at the six month limit, although Ontario lets us keep our health coverage for seven. Thank-you for getting back to me so quickly !!

Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Our Canadian friends are always welcome here in the USA. There really are tons of options for retirees here. One of the largest retirement areas in East Tennessee is Telico village. It is a lake community but the mountains are not far away. There are many areas in Sevier county or Blount county that are in or very near the mountains. The plateau region is west of the mountains but it is very beautiful as well, lots of retirees out there. The plateau communities of crossville and cookeville are very popular with retirees. You really should spend some time down here and explore your options.

I am also a history/civil war buff, there is no shortage of civil war sites in this state. Actually there is a lot of history in general here in Tennessee. Lots of reenactment groups here.

Good luck in your search

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
The actual rule ( that applies to both Canadians and Americans ) that want to visit the other country is......No more than 183 days in country, in any 12 month period of time . Note that this is NOT a calendar year, its a 12 month period of time.

The rule goes like this.. up to 183 days IN country, followed by 183 days OUT of the country.

A further point for the OP to be aware of.... As a Canadian citizen, you MAY be denied entry to the USA at the discretion of the CBP officer that interviews you at the point of entry, based on a wide range of reasons.

Some examples. The CBP thinks that you don't intend to return to Canada, when you are required to do so. They think that you intend to work in the USA. They think that you present a possible danger to the people of the USA. They think that you are or have been a drug user. They check your past criminal history and find that 23 years ago you were convicted of drunk driving. That makes you a convicted felon, in their eyes.

My point ? Never assume that you can automatically enter the USA. As a Canadian you do not have a "right to enter the USA " . By the same token....Americans do not have a "right to enter Canada ", either.

In addition, even if you are allowed to enter the USA by CBP.....the duration of your stay may be as short as 14 days, again at the discretion of the CBP officer at the point of entry. CBP keeps track of your entry and exit based on your Canadian passport, which is scanned at the border.

These international regulations are enforced in both directions.

xxxx.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM

320 posts, read 541,047 times
Check out the Fairfield Glade and Lake Tansi communities near Crossville, TN.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

I have requested information for Fairfield Glade and Crossville. I'm like a kid in a candy store - so many beautiful goodies to choose from !!!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM

27 posts, read 33,393 times
Following
We're looking too.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I guess the OP thinks we're kidding about the laws concerning people living here from other countries. You can't live here full-time.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Since you would be here - I presume - in the winter you might look at a cabin in the Smokies. Gatlinburg is higher elevation. It will be uncomfortably busy in tourist season but I assume you won't be around then.

Townsend is close to the Smokies and less busy but there is still a market for vacation rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee