Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 05:25 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

I am retired and living in Plano a suburb of Dallas area.I worked in Houston and lived in the east during my career. I grew up in Oklahoma as did my wife of many decades. My father was born in Lewisburg and we spent summer vacations visiting his family in that area. I also have visited the smokies both in NC, Georgia and Tennessee.

I like Plano as a city to live in but its getting too busy and congested for my long term wants. So we are considering moving to a smaller metro. Tulsa is one we are considering, NW Arkansas near Bentonville is another. I see issues in either one, state income tax being a leading one. I liked visiting family in Tennesses. We are not looking for a retirement community to live in we prefer a small city that is growing. Tulsa at about a Million metro population and NW Arkansas with more like 600k population worry as being too small. I like there climates and prefer NWA area as a growing changing progressing areas compared to Tulsa.

Is there a location near a city in Tennessee in the mountains on the east side of the state that I should consider and do more research about? I would like a city with a strong medical community for my wife who has multiple auto immune issues. She challenges our Dallas Intern with her conditions but he is up to the challenge as is her Rhuematoloist who wrote the book on meds for Rh as well as does clinical trials on the new meds coming down the track. So a city with a strong medical community is needed and a top priority for us. My housing budget is $600k to a Million. I have enough income in retirement that state income taxes are a concern in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

We have one more good move in us as we are in our late 60s. I can stay where we are but prefer a cooler climate, smaller city than DFW with over 7 Million population and growing 150k population a year. I am aware of a couple of retirees from where I worked in Houston who live in a higher end retirement community in Tn. They like it alot. We like what we hear about the area other than primarily being around only those near our age group. I play golf, my wife likes to garden when her health is good.

Thanks in advance for any questions or thoughts you have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 07:46 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Did I read correctly that you think Tulsa, with 1 million, is too small? If that's the case, then that rules out East Tennessee since all of East Tennessee's metro areas are smaller than 1 million:

Knoxville - 868,546
Chattanooga - 551,632
Kingsport-Bristol - 306,334
Johnson City - 201,661
Cleveland - 121,262
Morristown - 117,320

The Nashville area (just under 2 million population) has a cooler climate than Dallas and has the best medical community in the state (Vanderbilt). It's not in the mountains, but it's very hilly. In this picture of downtown Nashville you can see just how hilly the area is.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-21-2017, 08:27 PM

NW Arkansas is in the lead right now and it has under 600k population. NWA has a number of large corporate offices which I believe has brought in more eating, shopping and other options some metros that size might have.

Knoxville Metro is the size of Tulsa. I consider Chattanooga comparable size to NWA. So both metros are of interest unless they are missing the kind of MD we need.

Nashville is a possibility. Vanderbilt medical would be a plus. I am familiar with Nashville somewhat from visiting relatives in the area.

In all cases I am not looking to live in the city but in a suburb which has good dining and other conveniences. I see an area called Concord near Knoxville that from what I know now seems of interest. Franklin or Murfresboro seem like good options in Nashville metro. I stayed in Chattanooga on my way to visit family in Georgia, on the surface it looked workable.

By shopping i am looking for convenient grocer choices such as Costco as well as a good nearby general grocer as well. So shopping is too broad a term to use for our needs.

Id characterize my ideal situation to be a higher end suburb part of a a metro with airport, classic music and other options exist within a reasonable drive from that suburb. Plano where I am not fit that bill but its become too congested as Toyota move, Chase and Liberty Mutual are moving 15k plus jobs into Legacy West 4 miles from my house. The area feels too much like a city with traffic and a growing high density housing area or two.

Thanks for your question to allow me to clarify my target.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
NW Arkansas is in the lead right now and it has under 600k population. NWA has a number of large corporate offices which I believe has brought in more eating, shopping and other options some metros that size might have.

Knoxville Metro is the size of Tulsa. I consider Chattanooga comparable size to NWA. So both metros are of interest unless they are missing the kind of MD we need.

Nashville is a possibility. Vanderbilt medical would be a plus. I am familiar with Nashville somewhat from visiting relatives in the area.

In all cases I am not looking to live in the city but in a suburb which has good dining and other conveniences. I see an area called Concord near Knoxville that from what I know now seems of interest. Franklin or Murfresboro seem like good options in Nashville metro. I stayed in Chattanooga on my way to visit family in Georgia, on the surface it looked workable.

By shopping i am looking for convenient grocer choices such as Costco as well as a good nearby general grocer as well. So shopping is too broad a term to use for our needs.

Id characterize my ideal situation to be a higher end suburb part of a a metro with airport, classic music and other options exist within a reasonable drive from that suburb. Plano where I am not fit that bill but its become too congested as Toyota move, Chase and Liberty Mutual are moving 15k plus jobs into Legacy West 4 miles from my house. The area feels too much like a city with traffic and a growing high density housing area or two.

Thanks for your question to allow me to clarify my target.
Since you mentioned an airport, you should know that the Nashville airport is far away the only substantial commercial airport in the state. Even though BNA is 1/5 the size of DFW, it's nearly four times the size of the Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Tri Cities airports combined. If you plan on doing much traveling during your retirement, you'll appreciate being closer to BNA which is not only the largest airport in the state but also has the lowest fares.

With your budget, you could get a nice home in Franklin, one of the most desirable areas in the South, if not the country. It's a popular area full of upscale neighborhoods, golf courses, beautiful hills, oodles of shopping, and a wonderful downtown. Even though a lot of corporations have located to Franklin, it's nothing on the scale of Plano (thank goodness).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 AM

186 posts, read 283,505 times
Quote:
I am retired and living in Plano a suburb of Dallas area.I worked in Houston and lived in the east during my career. I grew up in Oklahoma as did my wife of many decades. My father was born in Lewisburg and we spent summer vacations visiting his family in that area. I also have visited the smokies both in NC, Georgia and Tennessee.

I like Plano as a city to live in but its getting too busy and congested for my long term wants. So we are considering moving to a smaller metro. Tulsa is one we are considering, NW Arkansas near Bentonville is another. I see issues in either one, state income tax being a leading one. I liked visiting family in Tennesses. We are not looking for a retirement community to live in we prefer a small city that is growing. Tulsa at about a Million metro population and NW Arkansas with more like 600k population worry as being too small. I like there climates and prefer NWA area as a growing changing progressing areas compared to Tulsa.

Is there a location near a city in Tennessee in the mountains on the east side of the state that I should consider and do more research about? I would like a city with a strong medical community for my wife who has multiple auto immune issues. She challenges our Dallas Intern with her conditions but he is up to the challenge as is her Rhuematoloist who wrote the book on meds for Rh as well as does clinical trials on the new meds coming down the track. So a city with a strong medical community is needed and a top priority for us. My housing budget is $600k to a Million. I have enough income in retirement that state income taxes are a concern in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

We have one more good move in us as we are in our late 60s. I can stay where we are but prefer a cooler climate, smaller city than DFW with over 7 Million population and growing 150k population a year. I am aware of a couple of retirees from where I worked in Houston who live in a higher end retirement community in Tn. They like it alot. We like what we hear about the area other than primarily being around only those near our age group. I play golf, my wife likes to garden when her health is good.

Thanks in advance for any questions or thoughts you have for me.

I know you are looking at different areas. But for East TN, based on your descriptions, I suggest you to check out the town of Farragut. The town is predominantly middle upper class, with easy access to the interstates, shopping, dining, hospitals, etc. I am literally 2 minutes from Costco. Also if you want to live closer to the lake, also check out the Choto area near the county line. I was just outside and saw signs saying that there are newly constructed homes for sale. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we are at the center of a valley and you can only see the mountains in the far distance on a clear day. If you want to live closer to the mountains, there is also this town that I recommend - Seymour, where you can have beautiful mountain views right off your front/back porch. And it's a short 15 min drive to Knoxville, Maryville, and Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, where you will find plenty of activities for retirees year round. UT medical center is nearby too. As for the airport, unless you have to fly southwest frequently, you can easily fly out of TYS with or without a connecting flight to reach most parts of the country. Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Thank you this is precisely the help I was hoping to get.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 PM

Are there some comparable areas near Chattanooga? By comparable I meant with the lake views I see south slightly west of Knoxville? I am blown away by the beauty of the water frontage with distant mountain views. Tellico is a retirement community I think but it seems like some of the areas similar in character are not in the retirement community?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlny12 View Post
As for the airport, unless you have to fly southwest frequently, you can easily fly out of TYS with or without a connecting flight to reach most parts of the country. Hope this helps.
Oh that is not the only difference between the two airports. There's a total of 5 airlines flying out of TYS (Knoxville) to 23 destinations, whereas Nashville (BNA) has 16 airlines to 59 destinations. Here are the airlines that service BNA but not TYS:

Air Canada
Alaska Airlines
Boutique Air
British Airways
Contour Airlines
JetBlue Airways
OneJet
Southern Airways Express
Southwest Airlines
Vacation Express
Virgin America
WestJet

There is one airline that services TYS but does not service BNA: Allegiant Air.

There are four nonstop destinations from TYS that aren't available from BNA:

Fort Walton Beach (Allegiant Air)
Orlando-SFB (Allegiant Air)
Punta Gorda (Allegiant Air)
Saint Petersburg (Allegiant Air)

There are 40 nonstop destinations from BNA that aren't available from TYS:

Austin (Southwest Airlines)
Boston (Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines)
Calgary (WestJet)
Cancún (American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, Vacation Express)
Charleston SC (Southwest Airlines)
Chicago-MDW (Southwest Airlines
Cincinnati (Delta Air Lines)
Cleveland (Southwest Airlines)
Columbus OH (Southwest Airlines)
Dallas-DAL (Southwest Airlines)
Fort Myers (Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines)
Greenville MS (Boutique Air)
Houston-HOU (Southwest Airlines)
Jacksonville (Southwest Airlines)
Kansas City (Southwest Airlines)
London (British Airways)
Los Angeles (American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines)
Memphis (Southern Airways Express)
Miami (American Airlines)
Milwaukee (Southwest Airlines)
Montego Bay (Vacation Express)
Muscle Shoals AL (Boutique Air)
New Orleans (Southwest Airlines)
New York-JFK (American Airlines, Delta Air Lines)
Oakland (Southwest Airlines)
Panama City (Southwest Airlines)
Pensacola (Southwest Airlines)
Phoenix (Southwest Airlines)
Pittsburgh (OneJet, Southwest Airlines)
Punta Cana (Vacation Express)
Raleigh-Durham (Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines)
Saint Louis (Southwest Airlines)
Salt Lake City (Delta Air Lines)
San Antonio (Southwest Airlines)
San Diego (Southwest Airlines)
San Francisco (Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America)
Seattle (Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines)
Tampa (Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines)
Toronto (Air Canada, WestJet)
Tupelo MS (Contour Airlines)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-23-2017, 04:20 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
I would like a city with a strong medical community for my wife who has multiple auto immune issues. She challenges our Dallas Intern with her conditions but he is up to the challenge as is her Rhuematoloist who wrote the book on meds for Rh as well as does clinical trials on the new meds coming down the track. So a city with a strong medical community is needed and a top priority for us.
If this is an overarching concern, I’m not sure why you would actually leave where you’re at and the doctors that she has. The Nashville area and Vanderbilt would be my only choice in Tennessee.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 AM

213 posts, read 216,673 times
Quote:
Are there some comparable areas near Chattanooga? By comparable I meant with the lake views I see south slightly west of Knoxville? I am blown away by the beauty of the water frontage with distant mountain views. Tellico is a retirement community I think but it seems like some of the areas similar in character are not in the retirement community?
Tellico Village is popular with retirees but is not an age restricted community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee