Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:20 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
If you want acreage, that is the place, but really, if you are coming in from Florida you might want SOME restaurants, other than chains. Just speaking for myself, I need things to do at night/shopping, etc.
Actually, you might be surprised to find out some places are restaurants around here (obviously not chain ones). It may depend on the type of food you want. Some of them must be only open at certain times of the day because you can drive by and think the building is empty or some other type of business. At other times they will be in full swing.

As for the original topic, I would say Chattanooga would fit the bill. It definately has done the best work with it's waterfront so far. The other cities talk about it, but Chattanooga has built theirs up more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Question question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Actually, you might be surprised to find out some places are restaurants around here (obviously not chain ones). It may depend on the type of food you want. Some of them must be only open at certain times of the day because you can drive by and think the building is empty or some other type of business. At other times they will be in full swing.

As for the original topic, I would say Chattanooga would fit the bill. It definately has done the best work with it's waterfront so far. The other cities talk about it, but Chattanooga has built theirs up more.

Regarding the first issue, I like ethnic/varied foods; Thai, Indian, good quality (not buffet) Chinese. Also La Vie en Rose in Boca Raton Fl was a great upscale restaurant- am I asking too much?-lol- I am tired of the Texas Roadhouse- and average American food. Thanks- if you know of anyplaces- I heard Kingsport has some----

sunny

Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Sunnyhelena, I have to say that has been my biggest challenge since moving to East TN. Finding good restaurants that are not chains and offer a variety of foods. As far as Italian, the best I have found in the area (Tri-cities) is Johnny Carinos, even though it is a chain. There are two places in Kingsport that are pretty good, but kinda hard to find. I can't for the life of me remember the names! hahaha One is in Colonial Heights on 36. If you are coming from Kingsport, there is a Fred's and Ingles on the left, it is in between the two and on the back side of an "L" shaped strip mall kinda place. Not the one close to the road, haven't tried that one yet. The other is on 11W going towards Church Hill in the Ben Franklin's mall in the corner, to the right of Ben Franklin's. There is also a Chinese place in there that is OK. As far as Mexican, El Matador in Johnson City on North Roan is good.
In Kingsport, even though it is a chain,I think it is anyway, The Chop House is awesome! It is on Eastman Road, up the hill from 11W (Stone Drive).

Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Smile thnks mbmouse-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Sunnyhelena, I have to say that has been my biggest challenge since moving to East TN. Finding good restaurants that are not chains and offer a variety of foods. As far as Italian, the best I have found in the area (Tri-cities) is Johnny Carinos, even though it is a chain. There are two places in Kingsport that are pretty good, but kinda hard to find. I can't for the life of me remember the names! hahaha One is in Colonial Heights on 36. If you are coming from Kingsport, there is a Fred's and Ingles on the left, it is in between the two and on the back side of an "L" shaped strip mall kinda place. Not the one close to the road, haven't tried that one yet. The other is on 11W going towards Church Hill in the Ben Franklin's mall in the corner, to the right of Ben Franklin's. There is also a Chinese place in there that is OK. As far as Mexican, El Matador in Johnson City on North Roan is good.
In Kingsport, even though it is a chain,I think it is anyway, The Chop House is awesome! It is on Eastman Road, up the hill from 11W (Stone Drive).

Hi- thanks- I knew about the Chop House-there is one in Lexington KY. I didnt think El Matador was so great (then again I am maxxed out on Mexican since S Florida-lol) What is the name of the one on 11W? I was surprised in Jonesborough, with all the people moving in has just The Bistro- you would think they would have a few more upscale restaurants there- Certainly people would patronize them!. Let me know if you can think of any others- My husband has issues w/pizza (ita a NY thing) it doesnt really bother me but he hated Johnny Carino's and only eats at Alta Cucina(Northern Italian) - the owner there is Mo- lives in JC also- tell him Marie and Charlie sent you!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 AM

I can't for the life of me remember the name of either place, sorry, and I did not try the pizza, I am kinda picky about that too, agree, don't care for Johnny Carino's pizza, but I don't go there for pizza hahaha.
As for Jonsoborough, they used to have "The Parsons Table" but it went up for sale, don't think it is still open, but could be wrong. The reason for no good restaurants in Jonesborough is a political one. (You will find that in several small towns, politics amung the old locals prohibits a lot!) They will not pass a liquor by the drink. Without that, a town will be hard pressed to get a good, independently owned fine dinning restaurant. It is rather hard to make it without that revenue.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM

That's interesting- so its just an arbitrary political thing-I just wonder where people who appreciate quality go to eat, Cracker Barrel is good for b'fast- so crowded. mb- you should try "Carter at Main"- its a renovated Victorian House-they have good quality seafood and classic entrees.

I AM tired of seeing Hardees and McD's everywhere- but that is in every state. So unhealthy.

sunny

Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 PM

79 posts, read 254,866 times
Default is it

Raffaele's your talking about? I have a strict policy not to eat italian food in a restaurant being Italian myself never tastes right to me

Old 12-11-2006, 01:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
mbmouse, i can't believe you forgot about Salsarito's, my favorite Mexican restaurant !!!

The Italian one in Col. Heights is Motz'. (it's behind and under Col. Hgts hardware.) Unless you were thinking of Raffaele's. Both are Italian and good. The most superb Italian restaurant in Kingsport (IMHO) is Amato's - above and behind Golden Corral. But I'm with you: Carrino's in Johnson City is delizioso !

Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Motz! Yes, that is it! Yummy calzones!(sp?) and I am picky about those!
I'll have to check out Amato's. Haven't checked out Salarito's either but will soon. Thanks for the info. I am always looking for good new places to eat.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
OK since this is "East TN restaurants" I'm going to include Knoxville!

There is a fabulous, and I mean FABULOUS, restaurant here called Northshore Brasserie. It's like a real Belgian brasserie, full of country French food (mustard rabbit, coq au vin, rosemary leg of lamb, etc.), Belgian beers, real Belgian frites (fries), and amazing desserts. They make their own French-style ice cream and have different flavors of crème brûlée--last week was pumpkin crème brûlée, this week is eggnog crème brûlée. It ain't cheap, plan on a good $30-40 per person if you do the full shebang of appetizer, main course, dessert, and wine/beer, but holy cow it's good. It's also decorated like a very typical brasserie you'd expect to see in Brussels or Paris: bright, warm, cheerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee