Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 04:50 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

Mr Joe,

I have voted Democrat in TN in just about every election in TN since 1980. One exception was voting for Corker in a primary in 2006. Thanks to Sen Corker I have health insurance today.

I am aghast to see you come on here and tell me I deserve to die because I don't work for a corporation big enough to offer health benefits.

See here, I'm pretty independent minded and I have done pretty well working for myself. The independent spirit I what I like about TN. In TN we care for each other, it is not a state based on hate.

Do you understand this? It's not hyperbole. in 2013 I had a serious accident. I could have died but felt reassured that my max OOP was 3500 and went to the ER. Had I waited an hour longer the blood loss would have done me in. As it turned out Blue cross negotiated the bills down from about $14,000 to $2400, I didn't even meet my deductible.

It makes me FURIOUS to encounter someone who would deny me life because I'm younger than 65. Are you proposing to slash medicare and leave the grannies on the trash heap as well.

Please Please Please do not move to Tennessee.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM

585 posts, read 634,796 times
Hi Creeksitter! Glad your health issues seem to be behind you and you are well today.

However, I'm not sure where to start with your assumptions.

I guess I'll start with trying to figure out how you could be so aghast at YOUR assumption that I came on here to tell you that you deserved to die. Pretty sure I said no such thing, and certain I did not infer it either. Please explain to me where I in any way suggested or hinted, much less stated, that you should die because you do not work for a big corporation? In fact you stated that I, and I quote you, "come on here and tell me I deserve to die because I don't work for a corporation big enough to offer health benefits."

Really? C'mon, where did I state ANYthing even remotely close that? You read what I wrote and YOU, in that little voice in your head, heard that I told you you deserve to die because you don't work for a big corporation. Really, that's what you think I said by what you read?

You yourself stated the one time you did not vote Democrat, you voted for Sen Corker. It was Sen Corker you give credit for your health insurance that saved your life. You credit a Republican, a conservative, for the insurance that saved your life. So you're saying voting conservative resulted in your life being saved via the insurance for which you credit that Republican Senator. Okay. Not sure what your beef is here with me on this issue.

While we are on the topic of completely wild assumptions, how would I deny you your life because you are under 65? I'm not really sure if you are trying to reference the minimum medicare eligibility age of 55, or if you are somehow tying that to the unrelated common "Full Retirement Age" social security eligibility for many at 65. Either way, I have zero idea what point you are trying to make, except to smear me and lie about what I wrote. Are you trying to make a cogent argument here? How about a point, are you trying to make a point here? I'm going to go out on a limb and say 100% of the people reading what you wrote have NO idea what you're talking about.

I made an assumption of my own, in my earlier post, but it had nothing to do you with you or anyone else personally. I've never met you. I simply stated a common sense, conventional-wisdom observation that is hard to refute. Conservative states like Tennessee, Idaho, Montana, Alabama, Texas, etc. are wonderfully run and desirable places to live. This is due largely to their conservative politics supporting a business and liberty friendly, low tax environment. Liberal states like California, Illinois (Chicago), Michigan (Detroit), New York, New Jersey, etc. are poorly run, highly taxed, welfare recipient heavy and are not desirable places to live.

Are you stating I am, generally, incorrect with these observations? I'd really like to know because I know MANY who share the same conclusions that I have made. In fact, I read that very same sentiment in threads all over this board by people whom I have never met and are unrelated to me in any way whatsoever.

While I am glad you are healthy, and that you thank a conservative senator for your health, I think you are either off your meds or bat $hit crazy to start climbing down my throat with the unsupported assumptions and judgements you have made about me. You literally accused me of wishing you, a total stranger, dead for no reason other than you did not work for a large corporation.

You made up a complete fantasy and in doing so you unfairly painted me with a very broad and negative paintbrush. In fact, I think you owe me an apology for the personal attack you made against me. Really- who wishes grannies to be left out on a trash heap? Where on earth did you come up with that? You sound EXACTLY like the deranged people running around protesting everything they think George Soros and Hillary do not like. Please please please tell me you don't stand around the State Capitol with a megaphone wearing a pink condom outfit and waving signs.

Anyhow, Can't wait to move to Tennessee! I hope we are neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Mr Joe,

I have voted Democrat in TN in just about every election in TN since 1980. One exception was voting for Corker in a primary in 2006. Thanks to Sen Corker I have health insurance today.

I am aghast to see you come on here and tell me I deserve to die because I don't work for a corporation big enough to offer health benefits.

See here, I'm pretty independent minded and I have done pretty well working for myself. The independent spirit I what I like about TN. In TN we care for each other, it is not a state based on hate.

Do you understand this? It's not hyperbole. in 2013 I had a serious accident. I could have died but felt reassured that my max OOP was 3500 and went to the ER. Had I waited an hour longer the blood loss would have done me in. As it turned out Blue cross negotiated the bills down from about $14,000 to $2400, I didn't even meet my deductible.

It makes me FURIOUS to encounter someone who would deny me life because I'm younger than 65. Are you proposing to slash medicare and leave the grannies on the trash heap as well.

Please Please Please do not move to Tennessee.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 09-09-2018 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed one type, and changed a period to a question mark

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 PM

OK, maybe I was jumping to conclusions. So I should ask straight out- Do you feel people with pre-existing conditions should be able to buy health insurance?

Because of your hate on Obama I assumed you hated on his signature health plan. Which granted isn't perfect but it beats bleeding to death.

I'm thinking of Clinton in the proposing health coverage for all. And yet it was shot down. Does she not get any credit for that?

I mention Corker because he was one of the few R senators who voted against repealing Obamacare. Next time around it was the war hero John McCain. I can't think of any Democrats who voted to repeal it. Did you follow the national news on the votes?

Quote:
how would I deny you your life because you are under 65? I'm not really sure if you are trying to reference the minimum medicare eligibility age of 55
Yes, I was referring to the fact that I am not eligible for Medicare. Also curious if you are aware of Paul Ryan's past proposals to do away with medicare.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You literally accused me of wishing you, a total stranger, dead for no reason other than you did not work for a large corporation.
Prior to Obamacare the only people with guaranteed renewable health insurance were people covered under a group policy through work. So maybe the word corporation is hyperbole, but there are many instances of middle aged workers being let go from smaller companies because they caused the company premiums to skyrocket.

What I am trying to express is had I taken the time to contemplate the financial implications of m injury, that time and extra bleeding could have cost me my life.

There is an earlier instance I have spoken about in other threads where I had expected to put off a diagnostic procedure until I was 65 because I had lousy insurance. As it turned out the issue was addressed and it cost me my $5000k deductable - it would have been considerably more had I been hospitalized. So health issues are real and you are very fortunate and very much the exception if they have not touched you or your family.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

I made an assumption of my own, in my earlier post, but it had nothing to do you with you or anyone else personally. I've never met you. I simply stated a common sense, conventional-wisdom observation that is hard to refute. Conservative states like Tennessee, Idaho, Montana, Alabama, Texas, etc. are wonderfully run and desirable places to live. This is due largely to their conservative politics supporting a business and liberty friendly, low tax environment. Liberal states like California, Illinois (Chicago), Michigan (Detroit), New York, New Jersey, etc. are poorly run, highly taxed, welfare recipient heavy and are not desirable places to live.

Yes, that was definitely an assumption.

Food Stamp Use, by State

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/s...d-stamps.html/

I'm fairly moderate. I agree that a lot of people that come from other states - even the ones that claim to be libertarian or against high taxes - are so indoctrinated regarding taxes that they lean towards higher taxes. I've seen it often on here over the years. They against taxes except for, you know, a little tax here or there.

And I'm a transplant, although I've lived in the South for over 22 years.

However, Tennessee and a host of conservative states also have a high percentage of their populace that depends on government assistance.

Life isn't as black and white is people often assume.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 PM

585 posts, read 634,796 times
Creeksitter!!

Wow, okay, your last two posts seem MUCH more cogent than your previous venting. Now you sound sane. Of different opinion than I, but at least sane. I am a fan of limited welfare. I am a fan of "a hand up" but not a fan of a lifetime income from the public dole.

We all make our choices in life. Some of us become cogs in the corporate machine, or the public sector machine. Some of us are more entrepreneurial, or choose to work reduced hours or just for ourselves (landlords / flippers) and do not qualify for "full time" employer paid work, pay or benefits. Some of us are farmers and provide for the rest of us. All of those choices come with consequences. Higher salary at the cost of more years of classroom and internship (the professions). Lower salary but better benefits (corporations, public sector). Low salary, Low benefits, but a high amount of independence (farming). At what point do we, as a society, feel obligated to care for those that opted not to sacrifice in the short term for long term gain? How much obligation does the tax-payer have to take on? How much is reasonable for the good of society (roads, basic - not exhaustive medical care, police and fire protection, etc.), and how much is an unfair burden?

Some of the choices people make, I do not feel obligated to pay for. If you smoke and/or drink, and choose not to quit or quit too late, I do not feel obligated to pay for your healthcare due to the poor choices and lack of will power you exercised. If you do not save and instead opt to lease high end cars and eat out often, I do not feel obligated to support your retirement. If you have multiple children with a low income (exception: children that grow into family farm labor), I do not feel obligated to pay for your natal costs or their school lunches, education, etc.

hiknapster is correct, life is not as black and white as people often assume.

However, I believe that what Obama, Hillary, and other liberal politicians want from us is too much. I do not believe we should be welcoming the world's refugees and paying their way through life. There are not enough resources (timber, oil, minerals, etc.) to support the entire world to the level of living we are fortunate enough to enjoy. That is not my obligation. If they want access to all our ancestors have fought for and earned, let them sacrifice to get it. Let them enter the country legally, let them learn English and integrate into our society, let them earn the benefits that we have to offer even though those benefits are not infinite.

We must support a limited government that does not regulate every nth of our existence and does not tax us into poverty. We must decide what are important and primary expenses (imho, defense, public safety, roads and other infrastructure such as bridges, dams, etc., and BASIC medical care). All others are discretionary and should justify their need with the burden on them to convince us, annually, to spend on them (NEA, NASA, PP, EPA, etc.).

Creeksitter, I hope that answers your questions and clarifies my positions. Liberal politicians have never met a dollar they do not want to spend, a soldier or cop they don't hate, or miss an opportunity to line a pocket. Conservatives have their integrity, corruption, and selfish interest issues also, but at least they support the basic principles that I believe in: limited government, strong defense, and capable public safety.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 09-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: wrote integrity twice it the same sentence. changed it to selfish-interest

Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
This thread has veered off course and is no longer specific to Tennessee. Time to close it. For future reference, topics that are political in nature are welcomed at the Politics and Other Controversies thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee