Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 16,386 times

Advertisements

what area would you recommend to go visit if i was planning to move to Tennessee with horses.
I am looking to be in nice Middle class area to retire with my husband and our horses and dogs.
I would love be able to ride off my property and not to have to take my trailer.Hoping to be in an area where other horse people lives.
Also would like to be no more than 1 hour to International Airport and close to conveniences.

In other words not in the middle of no where.
Is it too much to ask ?
Also Does East Tennessee have more comfortable temps in the summer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
Chattanooga.
and it will COST you.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisou1 View Post
what area would you recommend to go visit if i was planning to move to Tennessee with horses.
I am looking to be in nice Middle class area to retire with my husband and our horses and dogs.
I would love be able to ride off my property and not to have to take my trailer.Hoping to be in an area where other horse people lives.
Also would like to be no more than 1 hour to International Airport and close to conveniences.

In other words not in the middle of no where.
Is it too much to ask ?
Also Does East Tennessee have more comfortable temps in the summer ?
The only international airport in Tennessee is Nashville. There are a lot of horse farms in the Shelbyville area but most are show horses (Tennessee Walkers) so I don't know how many trails there are. Check out the Cookeville area, too. It's an hour from the Nashville airport, and there are a lot of horses in the area. There are several families in my church who have moved with horses to the area and love it. They moved from Utah, northern California, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky. and Wyoming. Cookeville is higher elevation than Nashville so the weather is a little cooler and less humid.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-16-2019, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 16,386 times
thank you for the infos ! I appreciate !

Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Bedford County (Shelbyville) is about an hour from Nashville BNA. We also have a small private airport if you have that kind of money to charter private service

Clearview Horse Farm in Shelbyville is a horse B&B with a lot of activities and quite a few trails. They have a website but my IPad is not co-operating ATM to post the link

My neighbor's drop dead gorgeous 48 acre horse/cattle farm is for sale as he is nearly 80 and wants to downsize. He built the ranch home and the barn. Barn has a wash rack, overhead hay storage, in similar fashion to training barns, and best of all:

He put the entire fronts of the stalls on tracks. You can either open the stall doors or push the entire front over if need be.

Of course I can't get the link to that either. Price is around 350K

The downside to our road is there is nothing to ride to, you'd have to trailer out, unless you want to cut trails on the 48 acres, which does have woods.

There are places in Bedford County where you could safely road ride but the only legitimate trails I'm aware of are at Normandy Lake. I've ridden some of those trails and I can say the horse needs to be in condition, shod or in boots and you need a "No Fear"T-shirt for part of the easy section of the ride, lol

Otherwise, as far as I know, you would need to leave the county, unless Clearview Farms would allow you to use their trails for a fee.

Bedford County IS a lot cheaper to live than counties surrounding Davidson County (Nashville). We are classified an Ag County and there is a Green Belt Tax break for more than 24 acres (I think it's 24 acres).

We don't have any vehicle impact fees --- yet ---

We have a very informative Ag person who hangs his hat at the MTSU extension. We have a very knowledgeable Co-op/feed store, Bedford Tack and Winners Circle are here, and we also have Bedco Vet Pharmacy, the only prescription vet pharmacy in the district.

Several small animal facilities. One small & large animal facility. A couple of equine vets with one of those facilities being the best in the area unless you go to Tennessee Equine in Nolensville

One of my senior horse's hooves are serious special needs. My current farrier is head and shoulders above anybody else. There are great farriers in my area for horses without hoof issues but I have learned the hard way, they just don't have the education to deal with my IR horse's hooves

A great human hospital with a helipad (Tennova), although I hear the rumor that fairly new facility is in debt by six million dollars.

Everything a horse person could want, except the trails that allow you to ride right from the house ----- unless you buy on a dirt road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee