Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM

176 posts, read 650,999 times

Advertisements

Today's USA today listed the number of auto fatalities and the % of those involving DUIs for all 50 states for 2006. Surprisingly TN was in the top ten with 1286, ahead of several more largely populated states like Illinois, Michigan, NJ, etc. THirty two (32%) percent were the result of DUIs. Are TN's dui laws lenient compared to other states? Are there any identifiable reasons why TN has more auto fatalities in general and more DUI related one in particular than more populated and congested states? It's a bit surprising, especially considering the number of dry counties in TN.

Last edited by Cougargm; 04-16-2008 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Don't have statistics to back it up, but I'd place the blame on the number of Interstates that run through Tennessee. Makes it possible to crash at high speeds which is more likely to cause fatalities.
Same applies to the rural country roads. More chance for high speed crashes. Those are the ones you usually hear about on the news.
You probably have more accidents caused by DUIs in heavily populated states, but because there is more traffic and lower speeds, they result in fewer fatalities.
Tennessee doesn't seem to be able to keep drunks off the roads. I do background checks and I am constantly amazed at the fact by how habitual offenders keep re-offending. They'll have 10, 20, 30 arrests for DUI, operating a vehicle without a license, operating when banned, get felony convictions, be banned from operating a vehicle for life, nothing stops them.The jails are crowded so they don't do jail time.
I have noticed that once someone has been assigned to pick up litter for 24 hours for a DUI, they don't have any further arrests. So that may be working.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I have noticed that once someone has been assigned to pick up litter for 24 hours for a DUI, they don't have any further arrests. So that may be working.
In my mind, I would prefer picking up litter for 24 hours than spending time in jail, so that is surprising to me. I'm not a drinker or drug user, but the possibility of having to go to jail if arrested for DUI would be enough to keep me from taking that chance. Hopefully some of the Judges who do the sentencing will visit this forum and see your comment.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
In my mind, I would prefer picking up litter for 24 hours than spending time in jail, so that is surprising to me. I'm not a drinker or drug user, but the possibility of having to go to jail if arrested for DUI would be enough to keep me from taking that chance. Hopefully some of the Judges who do the sentencing will visit this forum and see your comment.
Drunks don't do any jail time due to severe overcrowding in Tennessee jails. They get released on probation. If they're picked up again for drunk driving or driving on a suspended license, they still don't go to jail. No room.
I've seen records that run six pages long for one individual with drunk driving arrests and driving suspended arrests where, if they made bond, they never spent a night in jail.
The only exceptions I've seen are where someone was injured in an accident. Then, they might see the inside of a jail.
Do a crime, do jail time is a myth. I've really had my eyes opened about who is out wandering the streets.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
Today's USA today listed the number of auto fatalities and the % of those involving DUIs for all 50 states for 2006. Surprisingly TN was in the top ten with 1286, ahead of several more largely populated states like Illinois, Michigan, NJ, etc. THirty two (32%) percent were the result of DUIs. Are TN's dui laws lenient compared to other states? Are there any identifiable reasons why TN has more auto fatalities in general and more DUI related one in particular than more populated and congested states? It's a bit surprising, especially considering the number of dry counties in TN.
Tennessee has a tremendous volume of out-of-state traffic because it borders on 8 other states, more than all but Missouri. Only Pennsylvania and maybe one or two other states have more interstate highways entering the state. And due to the large number of dry counties in Tennessee, many residents drive to neighboring states to consume adult beverages. I think this is at least a partial explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee