Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 04:57 PM

11 posts, read 30,230 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I've been reading some of the more recent posts in the forum and they've been very insightful. I'm hoping perhaps some of you can speak to my particular journey.

I'm a lifelong Californian, Bible believing Christian, pro-US Constitution & liberty, retiring early with a modest pension. I have a trip planned and am due to come through Eastern Tennessee in a couple of weeks. I've contacted a realtor who is showing me housing currently available in NE Tennessee and will advise on places to see as I drive through that area. I'll be traveling from Knoxville and chose to focus on seeing the NE part of the state on this trip as a possible destination to relocate to.

My focus has been on:

Finances (No state income/pension/SS tax and the ability to sell my home in CA & have something left over).
Red State government policies
Finding a place where humidity is lowest

I would be coming as a single guy and am liking the looks of places where basic amenities are near (having been accustomed to life as a city boy) but where properties have a little space between them. I've seen some properties in Jonesborough, Greeneville, and possibly some other spots where a home that was 3BR, 2 BA had just a little more space between the neighbors and maybe sat on roughly 1/2 to 3/4 acre. I don't mind seeing the neighbors, I just would like some space where they're not on top of me. Adjustments to that are possible as new information is presented.

Other threads have mentioned the topics of home maintenance in humid areas and health care as being things to look into. At this point, I don't know what I don't know and am looking to learn before making a decision.

Any insights from the forum... those of you who would know well or have walked this earth before me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 07:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Good luck with finding low humidity. I was born and raised in So CA and moved to TN in 94. I'm still not used to the humidity, and I lived 2 miles from the beach.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
I am a native. No humidity is not realistic. Low humidity is relative. Check out property with lots of trees; shade helps.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:21 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Northeast TN has relatively low humidity and dew points compared to somewhere like New Orleans, Charleston, or much of Florida. The local climate will be muggy and oppressive to a coastal Californian.

Please do adequate research on the area job market, wages, etc., if you need employment and are not bringing it with you. "Modest" pension needs to be qualified - what are you living on, and can realistically expect to pay for a house/mortgage payment? It's hard to give you recommendations without a budget.

The "no state income tax" favors higher earners. A nearly 10% sales tax, with a 5.5% tax on unprepared food, hits lower income people hard, especially when those folks may pay little to no net income tax in other states by virtue of their low wages. Wages in TN tend to be low, even after adjusted for local COL.

Be careful. Politics certainly aren't everything, and IMO, not a reason to move to northeast TN alone.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Northeast TN has relatively low humidity and dew points compared to somewhere like New Orleans, Charleston, or much of Florida. The local climate will be muggy and oppressive to a coastal Californian.

Please do adequate research on the area job market, wages, etc., if you need employment and are not bringing it with you. "Modest" pension needs to be qualified - what are you living on, and can realistically expect to pay for a house/mortgage payment? It's hard to give you recommendations without a budget.

The "no state income tax" favors higher earners. A nearly 10% sales tax, with a 5.5% tax on unprepared food, hits lower income people hard, especially when those folks may pay little to no net income tax in other states by virtue of their low wages. Wages in TN tend to be low, even after adjusted for local COL.

Be careful. Politics certainly aren't everything, and IMO, not a reason to move to northeast TN alone.
I'm seeking a home in the $250-300,000 range (possibly a little more) and could pay it off in full when my home sells in CA. The "modest" pension would be $2300/month which could rise at some point if I make withdrawal from an annuity or choose to lock it in and get a regular disbursement.

Experiencing the heat/humidity combination in one of the hotter periods of the year is one of the reasons I'm taking the trip at this time. Looking at the cities of the E/NE Tennessee area in person to get a feel for the housing and location in regard to basic needs and services is another.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am a native. No humidity is not realistic. Low humidity is relative. Check out property with lots of trees; shade helps.
Thanks. I'll keep shade trees in consideration as a factor in my search.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:33 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety First View Post
I'm seeking a home in the $250-300,000 range (possibly a little more) and could pay it off in full when my home sells in CA. The "modest" pension would be $2300/month which could rise at some point if I make withdrawal from an annuity or choose to lock it in and get a regular disbursement.

Experiencing the heat/humidity combination in one of the hotter periods of the year is one of the reasons I'm taking the trip at this time. Looking at the cities of the E/NE Tennessee area in person to get a feel for the housing and location in regard to basic needs and services is another.

Have you considered Cookeville, TN. It is about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Cookeville has a population of between 30,000 to 35,000 people. You will find all of the goods and services you might need in Cookeville as it has many stores, restaurants, churches, and healthcare. There is a hospital in Cookeville. I moved from California to Monterey, TN (between Cookeville and Crossville) four years ago.

There is more information available on Cookeville at the link below.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cooke...Tennessee.html

The links below will take you to examples of housing on the market now.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...41988580_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...41992489_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41987529_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41997872_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...41991925_zpid/

Last edited by jguillot; 08-14-2021 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee