Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,719 times

Advertisements

My apology to all for my brief missive last evening. Apparently it has created a bit of confusion as regards what I was attempting to imply.

I will attempt to rectify that mistake momentarily.

The next item of business to address be is the reason for my brevity last evening. .

I am entirely solar powered, and my state of charge meter was quite low when I began hacking out my post, thereby I didn’t respond to many points that have been raised in this 11 page thread. Much of the disinformation and the out-right prevarications contained in the prior 10 pages need to be set straight.

Moderator cut: off topic

I will, however, not make the same mistake twice. My back-up Genny (sweat little machine that she is) is purring quietly in the near distance (We had zero sun here today.). She is far enough away the hear but close enough to not notice.

Moderator cut: off topic

Just curious do you work for/with the developer? You seem to know where Detweiler owns escrow accounts for the Wilder Mountain Development and what his "inside business" is better than any of the full time residents in Wilder Mountain. That I find quite interesting![/i][/b]
i
No I don’t have ANY (did you’ll see the emphasis on ANY back there? zero…nada….zip…none….. I do not associate with pond scum or HOA, and in my book Detweiller falls somewhere below both, far far below.) association with Detweiler at all, and never have. My knowledge, limited as it is, comes from being a resident of the general area.

The knowledge that you erroneouly ascribe to as being and infer to as being “inside business” is actually quite common knowledge inside the circles in which I rotate.

In the interest of full discloser, what “inside business” I am privy to is in all heresay, transfered to me directly by third parties who (whom?) were The principals in a competing subdivision near Sequatquie Point.

These were men that I met with daily, we watched the bottom line, the competion and the markets. We watched Detweiller and others of his ilk in Florida lose ground daily, and struggled to ensure that we didn’t meet the same fate as the housing bust blew up in every-ones face.

I completed my contractual obligations just over a year ago, (I built the model home in the subdivision.}. Successfully, and under budget, but a tad over time, I might add.

I was privy to many particulars of creating subdivisions, which you, nor any of the other the resident of Wilder mountain will never even comprehend existed or faced.

The men that created that subdivision, in my opinion were some of the hardest working honest men, with the strongest desire to contribute to the local area that I have ever met.

To this day I have an explicit trust for them and all the info they afforded me during our time of working together, as well as their analysis of how the ripple effects would effect Wilder Mountain. Some of that wisdom I am trying to impart on you’all, wether (mmm….weather….whether….aw shucks…you’all decide which you prefer) you wish it or not.

There are darned few folks I trust explicitly. Funny thing was that, they returned that trust to me ten fold. Thanks boys, I was ****** proud to work with you.. And **** what a year.

There’s your “inside knowledge”, thankyouverymuch. (Please say that last word all-together to savory it’s full value.
Trade mark attribution to some one much funnier than I for removing all the spaces in the last word and allowing me to use it herein……like I gave ‘em a choice. J)

“You seem to know where Detweiler owns escrow accounts for the Wilder Mountain Development.”

As regards the escrow account (Thank you very much for spelling esrcow for me BTW, I knew it looked suspect when I typed it last night but I was preoccupied trying to find “disinformation” in my 1966 model year copyright dictionary (OH! Darn…… OK got dictionary correct,……. turns out it was on the cover…darn I’m missing Laurane, .but I’m still looking for “disinformation” and please note the emphasis on very much…..perhaps I should capitalize it…..mmmm…the Very Lovely and Learned Laurane usualy won’t let me capitalize anything but the first mundane letter in each mundate sentence so I guess I probably shouldn’t….geez…..this is no fun).

Any how, the terms and conditions of all land contract deeds and or warrantee deeds are public information. Anyone with the desire can wander down to the Fentress County Court house and request documentation on any aspect of your land purchase at any time.
I certainly hope you weren’t hiding any skeltons in that closet. You also might wish to make sure all the nickkers you have hanging there are clean and clear. Might want to press them just to be sure.

.It’s one of the few perks that the generally productive members of society can expect from the generally unproductive members of their local government. Try it, you might be surprised at the speed at which they can deliver the most intimate details about any real estate transaction you could dream to ask for.

Most county employees are boorish at best, if not out-right stupid IMHO . But they do excelel at filling out filing and maintaining paperwork.

Nearly reminds me of the zeal I had as a filing clerk.......in 1975......before ..,.well never mind...I digress again....

Can’t say that I have checked locally, well at least lately, but in the past any info has been available for the cost of the copy that you take home……. Generally for less than a buck or two. (OK one or two dollars, for those of you from down southJ)

As I stated heretofor that I am amical with many landholders in Wilder mountain and over these many years have had occasion to review their deeds etc on odd occasion. It seems to me to be public knowledge. Have you reviewed the terms of your very public Warrantee deed lately?

It seems highly unlikely that you have, in that are are espousing….across state lines no less that fellow land holders in Wilder Mountain renege upon that which the devoloper has insisted upon, that being a nominal contribution to the common good. Namely the road fund.

Allow me to elicidate on a couple more things,

The momment your opinion crosses a state line, it no longer is a matter between you and the local constabulary . It becomes a Federal Case. That’s where the local “Good Old Boys” take a back seat to the Federal investigation. Please take that into your calculations, and in doing so please endeavor not to damage any of the fine people that I know and hold dear in Wilder Mountain.

The fact that you state "Sequachie Point is the only property in dispute with the bankrupcy. Wilder Mountain and the Ledges were completed and sold long before Detweillers' failure in Chattanooga happened." is contrary to what has been filed for in the Northern Ohio District Court. Chapter 11 does in fact pertain to Wilder Mountain, LLC (Wilder Mountain development)and Detweiler Enterprises, LLC (The Ledges).

Apparently you are rather niave about how development and banckrupcy courts work.

As a very brief primer one the subject, allow me to posit this;

Unless Barry Setorous has changed the laws again this week, FEDERAL banckrupcsy laws stipulate that all ongoing income streams are captured by the court (read road funds here). All pre-existing deed covenents- stipulations-remain intact.

All pre-existing conditions for contractural obligations remain intact.

The court will seize any and or all equity of vested interest the bankruptee has in either the ledges, Wilder Mountain and or Sequatquie point.
With the Ledges and Wilder Mountain both being sold out, my gut instinct would be that there is darned little or no assets in either other of the aforementioned properties held in Detweillers name.

In my opinion, your vainglorious attempts to turn you sows’ ear into a silk purse will be just that….vainglorious.

Mind you I am not a lawyer, a legal scolar, nor am I advising any particular course of action.

I am merely a man with 30 years of on the ground training in virtually every aspect of construction and construction management.

I have never let my cheeks fly high enough that they were chapped by a banckrupcy, And I never will.

That being said do as you will.

All that being said, I must now trurn my efforts to tommorrows coffee, tonights dinner.

Have you further questions I will attempt to address them after tommorrows turn.

I certainly hope I have not failed to address your concerns more fully than I did last night.

Folks here tend to trust me. Mostly because I never have, and never ever will give them a reason to think otherwise of me.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-18-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: half was incohearent and made no sense to the reader.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 12,549 times
You seem to know where Detweiler owns escrow accounts for the Wilder Mountain Development and what his "inside business" is better than any of the full time residents in Wilder -------

Curiosity is making me ask---Is a single party or all full time residents informed on the "inside business" of Detweiller? Does anybody mind their own business? Does everybody have a shovel ready project for this developer? Could it be a disgruntled few? As mentioned, I thought this was a great place to live and to raise children---away from the big city smog, crime, taxes, etc.,
If the roads were ever maintaind by the county, private becomes public... Every ATVer, hunter, hiker, sightseer and picnicker. The road leading up to Wilder with the concrete barriers should be priority....so much so that removing/blasting some mountainous hills at that location to widen the road should be topic of conversation.....In the meantime, residents should benefit themselves by speaking highly of Wilder for new constuction, new homes and begin building a community.
There are solutions to living in places where unhappiness reigns------

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 17,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderFamily View Post
Hello and I understand where you are coming from. I don't think you know the entire story and want you to understand what it is like up here. We have always been current with the road maintenance fees until this year. We were warned the developer was going bankrupt and he asked 1 month in advance for the fees so this sent up a big red flag. We were promised that these fees would only be for a couple of years and then the county would take them over. I am not trying to persuade anyone to do what we did. I made the decision and others have made their decisions. We have consulted an attorney and advise anyone else to speak to theirs. We own quite a bit of property and want the development to prosper. We have areas where people can't even access their lots and have pot holes that are not being fixed and repaired. The gravel/rock that are on the roads are being scraped up and used to grade other roads and now we have a hard foundation of the road that is exposed on (Big Piney Loop). Depending on the weather, the roads are dusty with pot holes or they are muddy and slick when it rains. We need gravel to be added, not just pushed around here and there. I have spoken to the county commission and the road super. and they will not maintain our roads until they are tar and chipped. This is something the developer has not done (tar and chipped the roads) We have spoken to some people who built these roads for estimates on what it would take to maintain them and or get them tar and chipped. With the developer Chapter 11 we do not see how he is going to maintain the roads adequately and we are speaking with Arbor One to see who buys the lots from the Auction that took place in early Dec. and then see what we can or need to do. We will work this out and we will have our roads maintained for everyone's safety and to keep the values of our development up. We need to ban together to do this and hold the developer responsible to what he promised and led us to believe would happen. I hope I explained our position and hope to have you as a neighbor who is proud to call Wilder home.
I appreciate the additional details and the fact that you live there and can share first hand experiences. When I purchased my land there, I seriously doubted the roads would ever go to the county. I was also told about a couple of years with maintence fees, etc. But if not is in writing you are taking a risk. I do know that people have NOT been paying the fee for years, therefore, how much maintaince can YOU expect? I think, just my opinion, that everyone should pay as agreed and then there might be some recourse.

I live in FL and I love Wilder Mountain, I don't want the area to change. I am willing to put up with dust and muddy roads, if I wasn't I would not have purchased land there. I think it is a long shot to buy in the wilderness and expect city perks!!! I honestly, do not care if they go to county roads, but I do care if the area goes down in value. I did visit one year and the weeds were waist high in the middle of the street. I did complain and have not seen that since.

Again, I think witholding maintaince fees is counter productive. I want to protect my investment. Maybe we should ALL get together and hire someone to maintain the roads and make them ready for the county to take over. You mentioned speaking to someone about that, but did not mention the cost. If you are seeking legal advice, why not include all residents in Wilder Mountain? Isn't it strength in numbers????

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
I live in FL and I love Wilder Mountain, I don't want the area to change.
LOL. It already has. Dont think it wont contiue to do so.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Uh, I don't want to spoil the state's best secret, but if some of you can get away for a drive through the Sequatchie Valley (reallly a canyon) during late April or early May, you'll see one of the most breathtaking views in the country. I really am not exaggerating. If you start in Chattanooga, and travel up (either Signal Mountain Hwy 127) or what's called Corridor J (Hwy 111) you will descend into the canyon on a gorgeous (I had to use that word here) view all around the "valley". Then take highway 127 up to Crossville (apx. 50 miles) and have a picnic at Cumberland Mountain State Park. Or you can eat at the buffet restaurant in the lodge. Cumberland Mountain is the smallest state park (except for the Bicentennial Park in downtown Nashville), but it is absolutely beautiful... and built by the Works Progress Administration in the late 1930s. Well worth the drive.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 PM

42 posts, read 157,561 times
chey357 "Again, I think witholding maintaince fees is counter productive. I want to protect my investment. Maybe we should ALL get together and hire someone to maintain the roads and make them ready for the county to take over. You mentioned speaking to someone about that, but did not mention the cost. If you are seeking legal advice, why not include all residents in Wilder Mountain? Isn't it strength in numbers????"

I am waiting for the estimate to come in. I am also going to get some others to come out and let us know what it would take to keep them up and/or bring these roads to county standards for them to take over. We were told the same thing about only having the maintenance fee for a few years and then the county would take them over. Wonder if the bankruptcy courts have heard that story from other land owners since we have met people from all over that state they too were told the same story. We will all work thru this. I still can't believe that there are people on here suggesting that we should act like we are happy with the roads. We are not. I am not about to state something I do not believe with my heart.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM

I am curious why the county dosent already maintain the roads. Is it because it is a private "gated" community that is off limits to anyone not owning property there.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I am curious why the county dosent already maintain the roads. Is it because it is a private "gated" community that is off limits to anyone not owning property there.
Essentially, yes, that is the basic premise. Being a private community (semi-gated) the residents have the right to have anyone leave that doesn't have permission to be there. If it were public roads there is nothing preventing anyone from from being there, since they would be public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderFamily View Post
We will all work thru this. I still can't believe that there are people on here suggesting that we should act like we are happy with the roads. We are not. I am not about to state something I do not believe with my heart.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should be happy with the roads, only that they are a reality of living in a place so remote and rural in one of the poorest counties in the state. Now if Wilder Mountain remains a home owner association then you may ask yourself, are there enough people paying their fees to cover the cost of maintaining roads? How many people purchased land there as an investment or with hopes of flipping it instead of living on-site that have since abandoned their responsibility after the housing crash and just let it go? As we can also see, some residents out of fears of this bankruptcy issue have stopped paying, so of those who still are paying, is it enough to maintain the roads? I can sympathize with residents there as no matter how one looks at it, they are currently in a limbo of sorts and are in a tough situation.

If one drives around Fentress or Overton counties and looks at how county roads are maintained, then I would suggest that people prepare themselves that this is as good as it gets, happy, sad, or otherwise. I would point to places like Tinchtown, Grimsley, Alpine, Alred, Black Mountain, Cooketown, and even areas of Muddy Pond and Crawford and ask why the few people in Wilder would expect to be treated any differently than other areas with more people and roads that are more heavily trafficked?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM

42 posts, read 157,561 times
Our Wilder Mountain subdivision is not gated. We have looked into that. It is listed via signage at the front and river access entrances that the roads and subdivision are private property and only residents and their guests are permitted. We too are disappointed that the county hasn't taken over the roads for maintenance as the developers had promised. We believe that this would be to everyone's benefit.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Our Wilder Mountain subdivision is not gated. We have looked into that. It is listed via signage at the front and river access entrances that the roads and subdivision are private property and only residents and their guests are permitted. We too are disappointed that the county hasn't taken over the roads for maintenance as the developers had promised. We believe that this would be to everyone's benefit.
If that is the case "roads and subdivisions are private property" then the county has no more business maintaining the roads as they would my driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee